Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy Stopped last night

I got pulled over last night for having blue lighting under my spyder. The police officer said he was only giving me a warning. When I asked him for the statute, he couldn't give me one. He only kept repeating that blue and red lights are for emergency vehicles. I looked before for a statute and couldn't find one. I looked again last night and still no luck. I called DMV first thing this morning along with the local police dept. No one can give me a straight answer only that it's not allowed. Has anyone run into this before? I want to abide by the law as long as it really is the law and not misinterpretation by the officer.

Spyder Garage

It is a bummer when you can't get a straight answer from those who are enforcing the "law."

Hope there is not to much cost involved if you decide to make a change.

Recommend, orange, yellow, amber, purple, or pink and just avoid the LEO colors.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

Have seen this discussed here before. I think it varies from place to place. You may have to change the color. Never checked myself but you will have those that have and are into lighting like that chiming in...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default red or blue

it is also illegal here in new york because red or blue lights are for emergency vehicles, i have looked for a law saying this but like you i can't find one. however one night when watching COPS and they were in Vegas they pulled over and ticketed a car for having blue lights in the wheel wells so i would guess when driving you should turn the off and just use them for show when stopped
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Did a search and found this. http://law.onecle.com/nevada/vehicles/484.787.html

The interesting thing it says blue lights are not allowed except motorcycles. Maybe you can find the actual statute quoted and figure it out.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

BLUE and RED are emergency colors for emergency vehicles only.

In some states you can be arrested on the spot for impersonating a Law Enforcement Officer if you display emergency color lights.

Many states have had people committing rapes and other types of crimes using blue or red lights.

You would be well advised to remove them immediately.

Just turning them off does not make them legal, they will still be considered as illegal if you can reconnect them.

This advice is free from a Retired Law Enforcement Officer, if you get nailed now, it is because you willfully ignored the law.

Cruzr Joe

Arkansas Attorney Generals Opinion.

Opinion No. 98-030

April 15, 1998

The Honorable Steve Bell
    State Senator
    500 East Main, Suite 208
    Batesville, Arkansas 72501

Dear Senator Bell:

This is in response to your request for an opinion concerning Act 497 of 1997, which addresses the display or possession of a blue light in or on a vehicle. More specifically, you have presented the following questions:

1. Does the Act forbid the use or display of blue lights on private vehicles?

2. If a person is an auxiliary officer, can he/she display blue lights on his/her private vehicle?

3. Can a certified full-time officer display blue lights on his/her private vehicle?

4. What does the Act specifically forbid the use of blue lights on?

In my opinion, Act 497 of 1997 prohibits the installation or operation of a blue light on any vehicle, except as otherwise provided by the statutes of the State of Arkansas. It is further my opinion that our statutes authorize the installation of blue lights on vehicles “used by” state, county, city, or municipal police agencies. Accordingly, a blue light may, in all likelihood, be installed on a private vehicle, only if that vehicle is one which is “used by” a police agency.

Arkansas Code Annotated §§ 27-36-301 to -305 generally regulate the use of emergency lights on emergency vehicles. Act 497 of 1997 amends A.C.A. § 27-36-301 to provide in part:

(b) Except as otherwise provided by the statutes of the State of Arkansas, it is unlawful for any person to install or activate or operate a blue light in or on any vehicle in this state or to possess in or on any vehicle in this state a blue light that is not sealed in the manufacturer's original package. As used in this section, “blue light” means an operable blue light which:

(1) Is designed for use by an emergency vehicle, or is similar in appearance to a blue light designed for use by an emergency vehicle; and

(2) Can be operated by use of the vehicle’s battery, the vehicle’s electrical system, or a dry cell battery.

Where the language of a statute is plain and unambiguous, the Arkansas Supreme Court will determine legislative intent from the ordinary meaning of the language used. Mountain Home Sch. Dis. v. T.M.J. Builders, 313 Ark. 661, 858 S.W.2d 74 (1993). Accordingly, it is my opinion that A.C.A. § 27-36-301 prohibits the installation or operation of a blue light on any vehicle, except as otherwise provided by the statutes of the State of Arkansas.

Two Arkansas statutes generally permit the use of blue lights. Arkansas Code Annotated § 27-36-303 provides: “All state, county, or city and municipal police agencies shall install, maintain, and exhibit blue rotating or flashing emergency lights upon all police motor vehicles which are equipped with emergency lighting and operated within the State of Arkansas.” In addition, this office has opined that A.C.A. § 27-49-219(d) permits motor vehicles used by state, county, municipal, or city police agencies to be equipped with blue rotating or flashing emergency lights. See Op. Att’y Gen. 95-305. Section 27-49-219(d) provides in part:

(1) “Authorized emergency vehicle” means authorized emergency vehicles which shall include:

(A) Motor vehicles used by state, county, or city and municipal police agencies, all of which shall be equipped with:
    (i) Blue; or
    (ii) Blue, red, or white
    rotating or flashing emergency lights;

In an opinion issued in 1989, my predecessor relied upon A.C.A. § 27-49-219(d)(1) to conclude that an auxiliary deputy sheriff’s personal motor vehicle qualifies as one which is “used by” the county when the auxiliary deputy is engaged in official duties. See Op. Att’y Gen. 89-125 (copy enclosed). My predecessor noted that auxiliary deputy sheriffs, when performing assigned duties under the direct supervision of a full-time certified law enforcement officer, act on behalf of and through the sheriff’s department.[1] I am in general agreement with my predecessor’s conclusion. Similarly, it is my opinion that the private motor vehicle of a full-time law enforcement officer, if used in the performance of official duties, also qualifies as a vehicle “used by” a state, county, city, or municipal police agency. It must be emphasized that the foregoing statute simply refers to a vehicle “used by” a police agency rather than to a vehicle “owned by” a police agency.

In sum, it is my opinion that an auxiliary or a full-time law enforcement officer may, in all likelihood, install blue lights on his or her private vehicle, if his or her private vehicle is one which is “used by” a state, county, city, or municipal police agency. This conclusion is generally supported by Act 1281 of 1997 which permits a “law enforcement officer” to purchase a blue light.[2]

Finally, the question of whether an individual’s private vehicle is one which is “used by” a police agency is a question of fact. This office is neither equipped nor authorized to answer questions of fact. A decision in this regard should initially be made by the chief of police, sheriff, or other governing authority.

The foregoing opinion, which I hereby approve, was prepared by Assistant Attorney General Warren T. Readnour.

Sincerely,

WINSTON BRYANT
    Attorney General

WB:WTR/cyh

Enclosure

[1]Arkansas Code Annotated § 12-9-303(a) provides that “An auxiliary law enforcement officer shall have the authority of a police officer as set forth by statutes of this state when the auxiliary law enforcement officer is performing an assigned duty and is under the direct supervision of a full-time certified law enforcement officer.”
    [2]Act 1281 provides in part: (a)(1) It shall be unlawful to sell a blue light or blue lens cap to any person other than a law enforcement officer or a county coroner. (2) It shall be unlawful for a person other than a law enforcement officer or a county coroner to buy a blue light or blue lens cap. It should also be noted that Act 497 of 1997 provides in part: “It shall be unlawful to sell or transfer a blue light to any person other than a certified law enforcement officer.”
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 04-07-2014 at 03:22 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Nevada

Repetitious post. Removed
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 04-07-2014 at 03:39 PM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The interesting thing it says blue lights are not allowed except motorcycles. Maybe you can find the actual statute quoted and figure it out.
    Here are the excerpts from the Nevada Revised Statutes

Nevada Revised Statutes Section 484.787 - Public Safety - Vehicles - Watercraft
    Designation of authorized emergency vehicles; equipment; limitations on use of warning devices.
    7. A person shall not operate a vehicle with any lamp or device displaying a blue light, except a motorcycle pursuant to NRS 486.261 or an authorized emergency vehicle.

CHAPTER 486 - MOTORCYCLES AND SIMILAR VEHICLES
    NRS 486.261  Tail lamps.
    3.  The tail lamp on a motorcycle may contain a blue insert that does not exceed 1 inch in diameter. (Added to NRS by 1971, 1469; A 1975, 1083; 1991, 2232; 2003, 403)

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default NHP

Just got a call back from NHP. The only mention of blue lights was for the motorcycle tail lights. He said if I didn't want to be harassed by the police, it's just better to change the color. You might have to go to court and yes it probably will get thrown out if you get a ticket but is it worth the hassle?
    What a crummy answer. Aren't the police supposed to know the law in the first place? I own a blue RT. The under mount blue lighting was perfect in my opinion. Shame on me for trying to show off the bike even more.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gorchris1 View Post
    Just got a call back from NHP. The only mention of blue lights was for the motorcycle tail lights. He said if I didn't want to be harassed by the police, it's just better to change the color. You might have to go to court and yes it probably will get thrown out if you get a ticket but is it worth the hassle?
    What a crummy answer. Aren't the police supposed to know the law in the first place? I own a blue RT. The under mount blue lighting was perfect in my opinion. Shame on me for trying to show off the bike even more.

It would be impossible for a police officer to know every law, seems like the officer who stopped you, knew the intent of the law and was nice enough to give you fair warning that you are inviting trouble by using blue lights.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I got pulled over a couple of days ago too, but it wasn't for improper lights. :-(

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post

I got pulled over a couple of days ago too, but it wasn't for improper lights. :-(

Chris

Hmm, was a female officer that wanted to flirt with you????

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'll stick with my white lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It happened to me too and the officer have me disconnected the wires before he let me go. Oh well a thing I can give with no harm. I still enjoy riding anyway.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Red and Blue lights, are for emergency vehicles; that's easy-enough to understand...
    Those are the two colors that I didn't use on the street, when running my GloRyders: no problems ever!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Blue in Ohio

My last cycle , a triked Goldwing had plenty of blue lights on it. Before I installed them I went directly to the OHP and enquired whether they were legal or not. What I was told is that if they were below the headlamp and not directly visible from the front...they weren't a problem. I had nothing really bright or piercing , just a glow and they were all over the cycle but I kept everything in front soft and low. Never had a problem in Ohio . Forget which state I was in and got stopped , ( Va. maybe ) but the cop didn't ticket me , admired the lights and said I needed to be careful because it was borderline and all officers didn't see it the same way he did. I just flicked a switch until I crossed the state line and no more problems. The big thing in Ohio I was told was that they had to stay solid , no blinking or fading in and out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We all love bright, shiny, sparkly things!
    But if you get too close to the "edge"; that's when some other guy, decides to NOT see it your way...
    Why provoke a problem?

Spyder Garage

All depends on the state. Legal here as long as they are not "forward" facing.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question: Is there a legal difference between, "Forward Facing", and, "Visible from the front"?
    After all; GloRyders face out to the sides...
    ...but you can see them from the front also!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post

Chris
    he wanted to tell you " Nice bike!"

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default last nights stop.

Joe, the officer wasnt nice and let me go. In order to write up a ticket, he has to include the law being broken on the ticket. If he doesnt know the statute, thats going go be a tough one to write up. He also included and i quote " i could be an a$$@#€= if i wanted to and have the bike impounded". A real nice statement to make if you ask me.
    Like i said, the trooper i spoke to today said it isnt against the law here. He found no statute. My lights dont strobe, flash, or even visible from the front. Now i have to remove my lights because there are those who dont know the law on this subject.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    It would be impossible for a police officer to know every law, seems like the officer who stopped you, knew the intent of the law and was nice enough to give you fair warning that you are inviting trouble by using blue lights.

Cruzr Joe

And yet, those officers will tell you that "ignorance of the law is no excuse".
    2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metallic, Web Boards in Black Line-X Closed pattern, Bajaron sway bar and links, Spyderpop's Bump Skid, GloRyder remote controlled lights, show chrome rear rack, cargo nets in the all three rear bags, more to come........

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you in Las Vegas or northern NV? I've got the TricLED American Flag light on the back of my Spyder and I asked a Metro Cop he thought I'd get a ticket for it. He said he didn't think I'd have a problem unless the cop was a jerk.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Like i said, the trooper i spoke to today said it isnt against the law here. He found no statute. My lights dont strobe, flash, or even visible from the front. Now i have to remove my lights because there are those who dont know the law on this subject.
    Check post #8 after someone up from me posted I did a google and found the law quite easily.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

He also included and i quote " i could be an a$$@#€= if i wanted to and have the bike impounded".
    Sounds like he was!