Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Heat issue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default body panels

Quote Originally Posted by JacqueTanis View Post
    They are great aren't they? For the first time since I got my bike I can type I can ride in total comfort without getting burned or worrying about my engine. BRP was wonderful to work work. I was very pleasantly surprised.
    Forgive me for being a rookie on this but what panels did you have replaced? Was this a warranty issue or was this a "I bought them". We are about to pull the trigger on two 2013 ST-S SE5 with 8 grand in rebates.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bill and Cretia View Post
    Forgive me for being a rookie on this but what panels did you have replaced? Was this a warranty issue or was this a "I bought them". We are about to pull the trigger on two 2013 ST-S SE5 with 8 grand in rebates.

You're going to love them, I live in the SW and we routinely have summer temps 100+ and the lack of proper air circulation trapped the hot air in the engine compartment causing the panels to get hot to the touch (measured at 183 degrees Fahrenheit on a cool day. Was not only uncomfortable and dangerous to ride but no telling what it was doing to the engine components. I kept a paper trail of what I and my dealer did to fix the problem, dates, along wrih pics, etc then contacted BRP care. They replaced my panels.

Like I said you'll love your ST. Mine rocks, and rolls too.

Spyder Garage

The panels I show ARE NOT BRP they were totally useless in helping me mitigate the issue with heat. The panels I show have much greater intake of air than BRP and that is only part of the solution.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    The panels I show ARE NOT BRP they were totally useless in helping me mitigate the issue with heat. The panels I show have much greater intake of air than BRP and that is only part of the solution.
    I can see your panels are NOT BRP. Mine are and they definitely solved my heat issues. Even at 105 degreed my panels no longer get hot and I have excellent circulation. So sorry they did not work for you but so glad you found a solution.
    Last edited by JacqueTanis; 06-15-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Just wondering

Are there any good things about these 2013s?
    it seems it's all bad and I find that hard to believe.
    i've got a great deal on a st limited butttttttttttttttttt
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    Are there any good things about these 2013s?
    it seems it's all bad and I find that hard to believe.
    i've got a great deal on a st limited butttttttttttttttttt
    Thanks
    Everything ... buy it. I love my ST, since I got the new panels. It's fast, nimble, easy to handle and gets me r where i want to go ... 4200+ miles the end of June , can't wait.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JacqueTanis View Post
    Everything ... buy it. I love my ST, since I got the new panels. It's fast, nimble, easy to handle and gets me r where i want to go ... 4200+ miles the end of June , can't wait.

What did the panels cost and which panels?
    thanks
    Last edited by vided; 06-15-2014 at 06:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

What did the panels cost and which panels?
    thanks
    It's a swap from 2013 to 2014 side panels that have a molded air intake scoop built into them. You can get them all for $700(ish). If I were you..... I'd take the discount and buy the 2013's. $4K/bike discount is pretty big $$$$$

Left picture is the 2013 right picture is the 2014 with the panel circled in RED

2013-can-am-spyder-st-lim_600x0w.jpg2014-can-am-spyder-st-s-white.jpg

FOR A WHITE BIKE:

Part # Description Qnty
    250000079 Panel Nut M5 X 0.8. Model-ST 1
    250000577 Torx Screw K40 X 12 4
    517302785 Clip 1
    704903140 Can-Am Decal for White Model 2 (?)
    705007329 LH Upper Side Panel 1
    705007330 RH Upper Side Panel 1
    705007700 Vegas White Pearl LH Front Panel 1
    705007706 Vegas White Pearl RH Front Panel 1
    705007737 Vegas White Pearl LH Upper Side Panel 1
    705007738 Vegas White Pearl RH Upper Side Panel 1
    518327600 LH Upper Side Panel Foam 1
    518325518 RH Upper Side Panel Foam 1
    You will need the 2 decals this is for white…look up the black….. paint touch says 2013 and 2014 same ... pearl white
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    It's a swap from 2013 to 2014 side panels that have a molded air intake scoop built into them. You can get them all for $700(ish). If I were you..... I'd take the discount and buy the 2013's. $4K/bike discount is pretty big $$$$$

Left picture is the 2013 right picture is the 2014 with the panel circled in RED

2013-can-am-spyder-st-lim_600x0w.jpg2014-can-am-spyder-st-s-white.jpg

FOR A WHITE BIKE:

Part # Description Qnty
    250000079 Panel Nut M5 X 0.8. Model-ST 1
    250000577 Torx Screw K40 X 12 4
    517302785 Clip 1
    704903140 Can-Am Decal for White Model 2 (?)
    705007329 LH Upper Side Panel 1
    705007330 RH Upper Side Panel 1
    705007700 Vegas White Pearl LH Front Panel 1
    705007706 Vegas White Pearl RH Front Panel 1
    705007737 Vegas White Pearl LH Upper Side Panel 1
    705007738 Vegas White Pearl RH Upper Side Panel 1
    518327600 LH Upper Side Panel Foam 1
    518325518 RH Upper Side Panel Foam 1
    You will need the 2 decals this is for white…look up the black….. paint touch says 2013 and 2014 same ... pearl white

ok, thanks

Spyder Garage

listen I certainly would not want to walk away from a great deal on Spyder you may want. I am just trying to be a realist and so you understand the additional cost to get the thing cooler. Getting that cool air in the engine compartment and the really hot air out is very important if you think about the negative effect of high heat on hoses, wiring and the plastic the heat will take it toll after time. But keep it controlled and down and those items will not get brittle and fall part down the rode. The benefits are worth the extra cash. But by all means if you get great deal on the 2013 jump all over it once this problem was resolved (at my expense) I really enjoy my Spyder and will keep it. I will not let off BRP one iota but the machine is fun and now runs great. The after market vents will allow more air flow but they are definitely more expensive. But as much as I complain about BRP and how they handled this I still like the machine and it is allot of fun to drive and own now.....I just do not like BRP upper management and their

Spyder Garage

ok, thanks

Or you could always check with BRP Care about them paying for them. Happy Ryding

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ...It's pretty easy to play "Armchair Quarterback; isn't it?"
    Your bikes weren't affected by the "2013 debacle"; any more than mine was.

Motorcycles aren't covered by Lemon-Laws in every State; and I'm pretty sure that there are even differing thresholds where they can be applied.
    So every affected owner needs to:
    See if the laws apply in their State
    and then...
    See what it takes to qualify under it

I agree. No matter what option you take it involves time and or money. Even if your state covers it under a lemon law so what. you got to get a lawyer and prove your case against a company that has plenty of lawyers and money. So fix it your self.....How are you going to undo something that is so messed up and better yet what if i do something that causes a problem....Hmmm Unless you have a 2013 with problems and they are not just heat issues.....(the steering problems have taken a back seat to the heat issues) you just cant understand. No matter what ya do it doesnt seem right. So all we can do is the best we can in our differant ways for now. BRP may want to do something someday. If there should be another fire or something like that it will not be good for them. The bandaid fix I dont think will be enough to protect some bikes with bad issues.

Spyder Garage

Well said spyder mouse

Every person who stops me to talk about the Spyder gets full disclosure about the lack of empathy from BRP and the issues I fixed and the associated cost which has been well over $3500.00. So I guess in some ways the lack of response from BRP is costing them more than it's costing me......
    Last edited by Ramjet; 06-16-2014 at 08:41 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    Well said spyder mouse

Every person who stops me to talk about the Spyder gets full disclosure about the lack of empathy from BRP and the issues I fixed and the associated cost which has been well over $3500.00. So I guess in some ways the lack of response from BRP is costing them more than it's costing me......

I try to me very honest when i talk to people also.I even make funny comments about it. (It is a wonderful bike to ride back and forth to the dealer.) It is too bad that is more true than funny.

Spyder Garage

Question bottom panels what do you mean bottom panels,could you give me alittle more detail

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdwheel View Post
    We installed an anti sway bar and left the bottom panels off, I rode up to Bensalem Saturday. It was about 50 degrees.The heat didn't go above 2 bars. I hoping that helps because the bike ran really hot last summer.
    . You said bottom panels could you give me a little more detail and tell me if I need a lift or can I run the front up my car ramps and could you kinda explain where the panels are and. Where can I find a pic that shows me what they look like????????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by progt View Post
    . You said bottom panels could you give me a little more detail and tell me if I need a lift or can I run the front up my car ramps and could you kinda explain where the panels are and. Where can I find a pic that shows me what they look like????????
    These are the 2 Black panels underneath the bike. They are easy to take off even without lifting the bike up. I put the panel back on the right side a while ago. I felt it disrupted the air flow and caused more right foot heat with the panel off. I left the left side bottom panel off.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS