Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Heat issue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdwheel View Post
    No I'm not holding my breath on BRP fixing this. But with all of the chatter about heat issues they have to take notice and address the problem. 22k tax tag and title, also a comfort seat that was a waste of $$$. I'm not really interested in spending more on this money pit.

i understand completely, 2013's are such a black eye its just hard to imagine why they are so passive about it. Its been over a year since the release of these machines....
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Default We have your heat solution :)

Quote Originally Posted by Baseball79ST2013 View Post
    Well I guess my heat issue saga will continue, I was able to go for a ride yesterday in the City but my ST-S again was Hot to the touch, I guess I need to avoid riding in the city or around town, is a pain in the ... to ride unless you are in the Pike or Parkway, not sure what to do anymore but I will be contacting an attorney regarding the heat issue with my motorcycle, the recall and the BRP fix is not working for me, and now my wife will not allow the kids to ride with me because she feels that is not save.

I understand that the heat issue is not on every ST-S, but I'm having the problem I do not feel that I need to pay for the new side panels to see if that will fix it, it needs to be BRP that get this done.

I feel that I have done everything they have ask me to do, the gas tank was so hot that I pour cold water just in case, I love my motorcycle but if something bad can happen to me or anybody riding is time to get an attorney involved.

Spyder Garage

For the low low price of????
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat Issue question

For those of you with the heat problems, does your gauge read as overheating when you have the boiling gas, hot-to-the-touch body panels, etc.?? My 2013 ST SE5 I think runs hot… but I have nothing to compare it to. However, it has never read over 5 bars (right in the middle) on the gauge. So… are you getting the heat problems with or without the gauge showing "overheating"?

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down Excessive heat

Quote Originally Posted by STicks View Post
    For those of you with the heat problems, does your gauge read as overheating when you have the boiling gas, hot-to-the-touch body panels, etc.?? My 2013 ST SE5 I think runs hot… but I have nothing to compare it to. However, it has never read over 5 bars (right in the middle) on the gauge. So… are you getting the heat problems with or without the gauge showing "overheating"?
    The problem is not that the engine is overheating, the problem is that the heat that it produces has no where to go as it is trapped within the body panels (tupperware).
    My temperature gauge reads normal, 4 or 5 bars, but the gas tank cap can be to hot to touch and the panels are too hot to have your legs against even wearing jeans.
    Alan:
    2013 Spyder ST Limited
    TBR
    Black Series Slip-On Exhaust with M-5 Carbon Canister and P1X power tip and black bolt kit
    Fox Podium shocks
    BRP Carbon black sports rack & backrest
    Custom Dynamics LED converted taillights & black tag bolts
    WrapMySpyder carbon dash kit & GT stripes & graphics
    Bestem USA carbon side fairings, belt guards & under tail
    Procoat NZ powder coated wheels
    Hydrographics NZ carbon dipped front suspension covers, billet caps and dash surround
    Spyderpops 3D SS Grille set

Spyder Garage

Default Heat Issue Too

Hi I too have a 2013 ST-L with heat issues. Driving in town the side panels get so hot I burnt my fingers touching them. The temp gauge reads 5 bars all the time. My gas cap is also hot but have not heard the gas boiling but after riding about 100 miles and parking in the garage the gas smell was awful. I had to open the garage door for several hours to air it out. I refuse to pay 800 bucks to buy new 14 panels. I paid 23 grand for this and why should I have to pay that money to fix their problem. It is time for BRP to issue a recall and replace the panels on all 2013 ST's. JMHO
    14 RT-S , Stock Large brake pedal White Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default Heat issues

In New Zealand I paid the equivalent of US$26k and
    Alan:
    2013 Spyder ST Limited
    TBR
    Black Series Slip-On Exhaust with M-5 Carbon Canister and P1X power tip and black bolt kit
    Fox Podium shocks
    Hydrographics NZ carbon dipped front suspension covers, billet caps and dash surround

Spyder Garage

BRP will do,little or probably nothing, I knew this so I did the mods and reduced heat in the areas you described by 40% I have thread in the RT forum "heat mitigation" it was worth the time and money it worked and now I have really nice machine. My decision was because I wanted to try and fix the issue make the machine better and am waiting for the day I get to see and talk with reps from BRP they will not like me very much that I can't tell you.......

But I have well running cool running machine that is fun to drive and ride. Thanks to me not thanks to BRP.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wing Guy View Post
    COOL, just curious how it gets rid of the heat buildup under the Tupperware that is damaging the engine components? Also if I have a 2013 ST with 2014 panels which year do I order? So glad you are making them for the STs now. I'll enjoy the ability to control the wind as I ride.
    Last edited by JacqueTanis; 06-11-2014 at 11:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Question Solving heat issues

I'm curious to how these solve the heat issues under the tupperware too.
    Alan:
    2013 Spyder ST Limited
    TBR
    Fox Podium shocks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are riders with 2010's-2013's that complain about hot engines. So it's not the 2013's that are the only Spyders with problems.

It is a very unusually thing to have some with heat problems and others that don't. My 2013 ST-L gets hot but not enough to bother me. Must be that I'm used to it after having 5 Goldwings that had hot air from the fans as well as a much bigger engine that got hot in traffic.

Susie - 2013 Spyder ST Limited
    1983-2004 Goldwings. (5)
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default let's rethink this

after reading this 5 page thread i've got to rethink the purchase of a 2013 st-s spyder.
    i guess i'll just lurk at the rest stop and see where this goes.
    are there bad issues with the 2014s?
    thanks for the heads up

Spyder Garage

Is this heat issue more on early 2013s or the whole production run
    Last edited by vided; 06-12-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NZSpyderRyder View Post
    The problem is not that the engine is overheating, the problem is that the heat that it produces has no where to go as it is trapped within the body panels (tupperware).
    My temperature gauge reads normal, 4 or 5 bars, but the gas tank cap can be to hot to touch and the panels are too hot to have your legs against even wearing jeans.
    I agree, the engine compartment is just too closed in and the heat generated is heating up all the surrounding panels. When I ride it ('13 ST-S) my legs stick out so I don't feel it directly unless I intentionally touch the panel, especially left side. However, my wife is the primary rider and being short, her left leg rest right against the panel. She always ends up with a very red leg like a sunburn, even through riding pants.

I also don't see how the Baker wings will help this situation. I am familiar with Baker wings, I know they can do a good job of directing airflow around or onto a rider. But this situation, not sure what they can accomplish.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    Is this heat issue more on early 2013s or the hole production run
    I don't know. However, overall, my wife is happy with her ST-S even with the hot panel.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    For the low low price of????
    From Baker web site:

air wings 114.95 new generation air wings 134.95
    leg wings 67.95 new generation leg wings 77.95

Available in clear, light or dark tint.

I didn't see any explanation of the difference in new generation vs. the regular.

Spyder Garage

My mods directly addressed the heat issues under the Tupperware and for example right by the rear header and gas tank reduced the heat by 40%. the fuel cap receiver is cool to the touch even in 90 deg F Ambeint temps. gotta get the the hat air out and cool air in even 90 deg air is far cooler than what used to be under the Tupperware.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ghlight=Ramjet

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Please don't blanket all '13 s as having issues

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    i understand completely, 2013's are such a black eye its just hard to imagine why they are so passive about it. Its been over a year since the release of these machines....
    Mine and many others are happy and experience no issues. I do feel sorry for those with issues and wish them the best.

Spyder Garage

Default I would like to see Pics.

Ramjet
    I sure would like to see the pics of the side panels. I looked at the Site and couldn't tell what they looked like. So Please Show us Some Pics!

Thanks
    Kubie

2013 ST-S SE-5 ("Quick Silver") Is her Name
    My Mods:

I Have Added the AM/FM Stereo and an Ultimate Seat, with Ryder Backrest, Power Sports wraps." Break Strips" Kit, GloRyders with the Spyder Cap, Fox Racing Shock and Anti- Sway Bar Kit, Spyder Pops Bump Skid, Spyderlighter's LED Running Light Kit With Fender lights. Cal Si Shorty Smoked Windshield, The 2014 Side Panels, Lamonsters Cat Delete, And an Akrapovic Sport Touring Exhaust.

Spyder Garage

I will try an post some pics tomorrow

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Cool day

It's the start of winter here in New Zealand, today was clear and sunny with the temperature around 17 degrees.
    The rest of the family was out so I decided to take vindaloo out for a spin.
    What a great ride, the cooler weather certainly suits, no real heat issues at all. Most of the trip the temperature gauge was on 3 to 4 bars and even when I got back in the garage I could actually touch the gas cap without burning my fingers.
    If only I could get it to perform like this during the rest of the year. I would be one happy bunny.
    Alan:
    2013 Spyder ST Limited
    TBR
    Fox Podium shocks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kubie View Post
    Ramjet
    I sure would like to see the pics of the side panels. I looked at the Site and couldn't tell what they looked like. So Please Show us Some Pics!

Thanks
    Kubie
    Here are a few pics of mine ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I had the 2014 panels put on. I just got back from Gatlinburg where the temps were in the upper 80s. Even in stop and go traffic it got a little warm but nothing to even bother me. I was even able to wear capris one day with no problems. I'm a firm believer in the panels. Before I had them installed I couldn't even touch my panels. I know there have been a lot of complaints about BRP but I think by just asking they have been very good. I sent them a nice letter about the panels and they responded quickly. While on vacation I was having a lot of vibration issues that couldn't be corrected with my tires being balanced twice. They paid for my new tires which corrected the problem. I'm very happy with my 2013 ST and can ride it for hours now and be happy as a clam. : )

Spyder Garage

here you go plenty of air intake and cool running Spyder
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Barbie View Post
    I had the 2014 panels put on. I just got back from Gatlinburg where the temps were in the upper 80s. Even in stop and go traffic it got a little warm but nothing to even bother me. I was even able to wear capris one day with no problems. I'm a firm believer in the panels. Before I had them installed I couldn't even touch my panels. I know there have been a lot of complaints about BRP but I think by just asking they have been very good. I sent them a nice letter about the panels and they responded quickly. While on vacation I was having a lot of vibration issues that couldn't be corrected with my tires being balanced twice. They paid for my new tires which corrected the problem. I'm very happy with my 2013 ST and can ride it for hours now and be happy as a clam. : )
    They are great aren't they? For the first time since I got my bike I can type I can ride in total comfort without getting burned or worrying about my engine. BRP was wonderful to work work. I was very pleasantly surprised.