Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Heat issue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    I spoke to a dealer on the phone and they say cat removal fixes the heat problem. Does anyone have any real world experience to support or refute this claim?
    It makes perfect sense , the converters are heat traps on cars the converters on our bikes are no different if anything they are more restrictive the way they are configured under the case.

Gonna be my first mod as long as I can find a fuel controller , richening them up will cut down the fuel economy but helps with performance , heat and should make it run smoother.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default air box

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Both of our RTs have the air box removed.Removing the Cat is problematic in that it cannot be easily put back if need be.I think the benefits of removing the air box and the decreased under hood temperatures are many.One that I of course can’t prove, but suspect is throttle body life.Do I worry about running leaner?Nope.That’s what the fuel map is for.
    rodger, when you said "that's what the fuel map is for" are you referring to the stock fuel map or an added on type ?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Tank wrap

I've been thinking about getting some heat shielding for my gas tank on my new 2013 ST I got a couple weeks ago. I have not experienced gas boiling or anything other than an occasional little bit of gas odor at stop lights. But it sounded like a good idea anyway. So today I had to pull off enough tupperware to actually see the tank since I am installing some fox adjustable shocks. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the tank already has heat shielding on it. I dont know if this is something that was done at the factory or part of the service the dealer did before giving me the keys (the service manager only mentioned something about wrapping the master cylinder). Do all ST's have this and they boil anyway or is this something new?

sam_0109.jpg

sam_0113.jpg
    Last edited by WashingtonApple; 04-19-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Craniac has been tinkering around with moving the evaporative canister on his bike...
    You might want to either check out his posts, or PM him!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 04-20-2014 at 10:23 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WashingtonApple View Post
    I've been thinking about getting some heat shielding for my gas tank on my new 2013 ST I got a couple weeks ago. I have not experienced gas boiling or anything other than an occasional little bit of gas odor at stop lights. But it sounded like a good idea anyway. So today I had to pull off enough tupperware to actually see the tank since I am installing some fox adjustable shocks. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the tank already has heat shielding on it. I dont know if this is something that was done at the factory or part of the service the dealer did before giving me the keys (the service manager only mentioned something about wrapping the master cylinder). Do all ST's have this and they boil anyway or is this something new?

sam_0109.jpg

sam_0113.jpg
    My ST has the heat shielding from BRP, I'm pretty sure they all do - I added more to the top and sides (as far as I could reach).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdwheel View Post
    We installed an anti sway bar and left the bottom panels off, I rode up to Bensalem Saturday. It was about 50 degrees. The heat didn't go above 2 bars. I hoping that helps because the bike ran really hot last summer.
    My engine never goes above 5 bars ... the engine is not overheating. It's the heat being trapped in the engine compartment that is causing the problem.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

the 2013 ST does not come with heat shielding on the tank.....either your dealer or BRP did that....my gas boils with 1/4 inch ceramic installation/heat shielding...but with the new mapping of the ecm things are better....thank your dealer

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Both of our RTs have the air box removed.

Removing the Cat is problematic in that it cannot be easily put back if need be.

I think the benefits of removing the air box and the decreased under hood temperatures are many.
    One that I of course can’t prove, but suspect is throttle body life.

Do I worry about running leaner?
    Nope.
    That’s what the fuel map is for.
    I,m thinking of removing the air box on the RT so I can do my own Plugs and wires BUT I,m concerned the Decibel increase would be significant and I value my hearing. Wonder if anyone ever did a test?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I,m thinking of removing the air box on the RT so I can do my own Plugs and wires BUT I,m concerned the Decibel increase would be significant and I value my hearing. Wonder if anyone ever did a test?
    See post #37 & #38 they should be able to answer your question.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Red face Noise

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge70first037
    Honestly. My first throttle up - I thought to myself. Wow! That's loud. But soon learned it took far less throttle input than my wrist was used to(with the stock air box) Less twist equals less noise.

Did 325 plus yesterday from here to Angeles Crest Highway(both twisties and freeway). It gets a little noisy under heavy throttle, but I came to like it. Hardly notice it at freeway speeds on cruise control. It's really not that bad, and I wouldn't change back if someone paid me.

Those with super sensitive ears can always screw in some ear plugs. jmy2c

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A little bit of "Intake Honk", is good for the soul...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    the 2013 ST does not come with heat shielding on the tank.....either your dealer or BRP did that....my gas boils with 1/4 inch ceramic installation/heat shielding...but with the new mapping of the ecm things are better....thank your dealer
    The front of the tank did have heat shielding from the factory.... I added to it and covered more of the tank.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you get the new bodywork in place?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like some ST's have some shielding and others don't. Glad I got one that did. Its not much but some is better than none. I put about 70 miles on her today and now I have 605 miles on the odometer, so she is ready for the break in service. Hopefully that helps even more with the firmware updates.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Honestly. My first throttle up - I thought to myself. Wow! That's loud. But soon learned it took far less throttle input than my wrist was used to(with the stock air box) Less twist equals less noise.

Did 325 plus yesterday from here to Angeles Crest Highway(both twisties and freeway). It gets a little noisy under heavy throttle, but I came to like it. Hardly notice it at freeway speeds on cruise control. It's really not that bad, and I wouldn't change back if someone paid me.

Those with super sensitive ears can always screw in some ear plugs. jmy2c
    I'm thinking about taking mine off. I have a friend who has an HD. The pipes and engine got so hot he couldn't hardly ride it. He took the CAT off and said it was like night and day difference. Was it hard to take off or did you have your dealer do it for you ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Did you get the new bodywork in place?
    Nope.... got the 4 panels in.... one of the panels was painted wrong. Looks like it's the right color.. but... Dull, and rough... no clear coat on it. Trying to get it squared away... don't know if we will have it in time to put it on before we go to Spyderfest.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear that what should have been simple... wasn't!
    Hang in there!!

Spyder Garage

Red face Staying On

Quote Originally Posted by Barbie View Post
    I'm thinking about taking mine off. I have a friend who has an HD. The pipes and engine got so hot he couldn't hardly ride it. He took the CAT off and said it was like night and day difference. Was it hard to take off or did you have your dealer do it for you ?
    Not taking it off. Like it.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hotglue View Post
    Nope.... got the 4 panels in.... one of the panels was painted wrong. Looks like it's the right color.. but... Dull, and rough... no clear coat on it. Trying to get it squared away... don't know if we will have it in time to put it on before we go to Spyderfest.
    We have been hangin for over a year......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We know...
    My poorly trained gut, has me believing that you're just about to where, "The light at the end of the tunnel", is about to take on a new reality!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sure you mean where we should have been a year ago.... got the right side 2014 panels on today... do not think I will have the time to get the left side on if BRP shipped the right parts 'right now'.... so FB will just have to ride her spyder to Spyderfest the BRP way.... Half assed fixed...
    Last edited by hotglue; 04-21-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default try search heat shield on jegs.com

Jegs has thermal plankets heat tape even wraps the cat up to 2000 degrees wrapped the fuel tank no more boiling fuel covered the inside of all the panels and no more heat problem working on a larger radiator idea now found one that will fits just need to have a few mods done to it before installing

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cat removeal

Quote Originally Posted by billrob71 View Post
    It makes perfect sense , the converters are heat traps on cars the converters on our bikes are no different if anything they are more restrictive the way they are configured under the case.

Gonna be my first mod as long as I can find a fuel controller , richening them up will cut down the fuel economy but helps with performance , heat and should make it run smoother.
    I talked to my dealer today and was told that bypassing the cat would void the warranty.
    This is BRPs problem let them make it right.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdwheel View Post
    I talked to my dealer today and was told that bypassing the cat would void the warranty.
    This is BRPs problem let them make it right.
    Seeing what others have been put through here so far, I would not hold your breath on BRP fixing this. We can hope they come through.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Just hopeing for the best

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    Seeing what others have been put through here so far, I would not hold your breath on BRP fixing this. We can hope they come through.
    No I'm not holding my breath on BRP fixing this. But with all of the chatter about heat issues they have to take notice and address the problem. 22k tax tag and title, also a comfort seat that was a waste of $$$. I'm not really interested in spending more on this money pit.