Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Heat issue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bull

I have always tried to find ways to encourage meaningful discussion of these heat issues.
    My bike was never affect by them... I tried to differentiate between "Comfort", and "Melting Parts", and I even tried to offer up ideas for both.
    Now; that's not to say that I was as patient as I could have been at times...
    But...
    "I Meant Every Word Because "Too Often," You Make Little of others problems or encourage them to fix them by themselves when BRP is the one who needs to fix the problems!!!!"
    ...is absolutely false.
    As far as for waiting for BRP; would you rather fix your bike and ride, or sit on your hands and complain?
    There have been a lot of really good ideas kicked around in here to help the "Class of 2013", and I applaud everyone's efforts!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

. . . I see no reason for personal attacks . . . it turns a useful venue for sharing ideas and resolving shared issues into something ridiculous and mean-spirited. I almost dropped out of Spyderlovers because of some personal attacks by certain folks . . . but then realized I would be the loser if I did. I appreciate the frustration some of you have over issues with a very expensive toy . . . I've lost a fair amount of riding time due to a melted master cylinder, parking brake cable, and charcoal canister, and most recently, was stranded over 100 miles from home with split hoses going to the throttle body . . . but feel BRP really is trying to resolve the issue, and am thankful for the steps they have taken to date. For the folks who chant the : "Don't wait for BRP, fix it yourself, you lazy " mantra, I can only say that not all of us have the mechanical ability, tools, health, or funding to be able to do what you have done. That doesn't make us less worthy to own and ride our Spyder than you, and you should seriously re-evaluate your high opinion of yourselves . . . it doesn't appear to be warranted.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    For the folks who chant the : "Don't wait for BRP, fix it yourself, you lazy " mantra, I can only say that not all of us have the mechanical ability, tools, health, or funding to be able to do what you have done.
    100% with that... I have fewer mechanical skills than just about anybody in here...

But if I had a choice to sit, or try to wrench; I'd still be trying to get greasy!

I don't think that I ever called anybody a, "lazy " anyway...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    . . .
    I don't think that I ever called anybody a, "lazy " anyway...
    I don't think so, either, Bob . . . but some folks sure come close! Love my Spyder, and plan to ride it as much as health, age, and mechanical issues will allow me! Sticking to east coast rides (including SpyderQuest) this year, but am heading to Tucson AZ on it, next year, just to talk and drink beer with old friends!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tucson?
    Now THAT's a trip!!
    I hope to see you up in Lake George!

Spyder Garage

Bull

I have always tried to find ways to encourage meaningful discussion of these heat issues.
    My bike was never affect by them... I tried to differentiate between "Comfort", and "Melting Parts", and I even tried to offer up ideas for both.
    Now; that's not to say that I was as patient as I could have been at times...
    But...
    "I Meant Every Word Because "Too Often," You Make Little of others problems or encourage them to fix them by themselves when BRP is the one who needs to fix the problems!!!!"
    ...is absolutely false.
    As far as for waiting for BRP; would you rather fix your bike and ride, or sit on your hands and complain?
    There have been a lot of really good ideas kicked around in here to help the "Class of 2013", and I applaud everyone's efforts!
    If I had a 2013 with Bad Heat problems I would have initiated a Lemmon Law case after it was at the dealers more than 30 days without being fixed and I would of had a New Vehicle long ago !!!

If I paid that kind of $$$ for a heat problem either its fixed or Provide me with one that does not have a problem! Some people Talk and some people ACT!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...It's pretty easy to play "Armchair Quarterback; isn't it?"
    Your bikes weren't affected by the "2013 debacle"; any more than mine was.

Motorcycles aren't covered by Lemon-Laws in every State; and I'm pretty sure that there are even differing thresholds where they can be applied.
    So every affected owner needs to:
    See if the laws apply in their State
    and then...
    See what it takes to qualify under it

Spyder Garage

Default Well ...

Well I'm not sitting in an arm chair and this is what I've done:
    My history with my bike follows.
    I made arrangements in June, 2013 to fly into Dallas, to purchase my 2013 ST-L from Louis Powersports in Greenville, TX. I then spent 6 days on the road before returning home to Cloudcroft, NM. Whenever I stopped I noticed extreme heat rising from my bike and, when riding, extreme heat on my inner leg above the ankle and above the knee on the left side, to the point I had to ride without my leg touching the bike. Every evening when I got off my bike for the night my leg had red, blotchy burn marks from the extreme heat. When I stopped in Santa Fe to visit friends, they were were appalled at the heat coming off the bike. Both of them actually had to back off from the bike, even though it was a chilly night. They are both avid motorcycle riders and he has a 2013 KTM Adventure which uses the same engine as my Spyder.
    1. When I got home I called my salesman in Greenville, TX concerning the heat I was experiencing. He told me he had heard of no problems with heat on the 2013 ST's. I also called BRP Customer Service several times, one gentleman I spoke with very rudely suggested I wear proper riding gear. I informed him that as a former ATV Safety Instructor I wear ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME. I was frustrated because the heat coming off my bike is obviously NOT caused by my riding gear. It is a poor design with lack of air flow in the engine compartment and the left side exhaust pipe being too close to the panels and not properly heat shielded.
    2. My local dealer is in Las Cruces, NM (2 hours from my home) so I called and spoke with, the Service Manager. He also said he knew of no problems with heat on the ST's and suggested I come in so they could check out the bike.

3. The next time I was in Las Cruces I stopped in to introduce myself and had the Service Manager touch the panels on the side of the bike, he was shocked at the heat on the panels. He made an appt. to have me come in so they could check the bike as he said there was definitely something wrong when he felt the panels and saw my red, blotchy burned leg.

4. July 26, 1013 - During a thorough inspection they found an overheat error code and further examination revealed the coolant was almost totally empty. They thought there must be a leak since I had the 600 service done in Albuquerque in June only days after I purchased my Spyder, but could find none. They filled the reservoir with coolant (Engine Ice) and we thought the problem solved. Unfortunately within a few days the bike was back to being so hot that I, once again, had to ride with my leg not touching the side. The panels were so hot that I could not touch them or the screws securing them, with my hand or put my leg on them when riding.

The next time I was in Las Cruces, I stopped in and had the Service Manager touch the bike panels and, once again, he was amazed as he had thought we had solved the problem. He asked me to make an appointment to bring it back for further examination. The Service Manager also asked me to call the BRP Technical Line and, although they asked I not call them again directly, they said I should take it back in to the Service Department. I am sure you have record of that call as I asked the gentlemen I spoke with to make record of our conversation. He was extremely personable, friendly and helpful.

6. August 13, 2013 This time I left the bike with Las Cruces Motorsports for a few days. Although they could find nothing wrong the Service Manager told me that with the kind of heat I was experiencing the engine components were going to start being affected. Their technicians installed some heat shield on the right and left side on my bike, hoping it would help. They have gone out of their way to help me at all times.

7. I brought my bike home and, because I was still experiencing the extreme heat on the panels, installed extra shielding on the left side panels and screws, as well as the oil
    reservoir and tubing coming from it; wrapped/siliconed and tent shielded the exhaust; and shielded the front and sides of the gas tank because it was so hot I was afraid the gas would burn me or explode when I opened the gas tank. Also added some heat shielding to the left side of the bike. After I did all this I noticed extreme heat coming from under the seat so I used heat shielding to close off any openings; also, because of the extreme heat on my left leg above the ankle my husband built and attached a deflector to deflect the hot air away from my lower leg. All of this has cost me much time, effort and $300-$400 for materials, along with the time and gas it is costing me to drive the repeated 2 hour, 1 way trips back and forth to my dealer.

The deflector my husband made is no longer working and I now have to ride with a pot holder strapped to my leg so I don't get burnt. I have attached some pictures of the heat shielding I have added on the left side.

8. September 5th, 2013 - I took my bike in for the recall to add heat shielding to the area around the Master Cylinder. The fact that this had to be done says BRP Technical Department is aware of the heat problem. They also developed the new Air Flow Panels for the 2014 ST's - which tells me they have come up with a fix for a problem they know exists on the 2013's

9. January 18th, 2014 - I took my bike for the Jan 23, 2014 Campaign 2013-0015 and 0016 on . The updating of the ECM Software temporarily, and slightly, lowered my engine temperature from 5 bars to 4. As of 2 weeks ago it is back to a consistent 5 bars once the engine is warm.
    10. After all of the above, the side panels are still extremely hot and although (because of the shielding I have added) I am not having to wear a pot holder on my upper leg anymore, I still have to ride with my leg away from the panel within 20 minutes of beginning my ride because the panels are so uncomfortably hot. This is a danger to me and those I am riding around. I am still having to wear a large thermal pot holder on my lower leg to keep from getting burned. I wear BRP Caliber Riding Pants, boots, jacket, gloves and helmet - I am properly geared up.
    11. On April 10th, 2014 I rode approximately 45 miles on my bike. On on the way home I realized my butt was getting warm, to the point of being uncomfortable. This is something new, it has never happened before. As a matter of fact, I just completed a 1200 mile round trip ride two weeks ago, with my sheep skin cover on, and did not experience a hot seat at all. Anyway, when I got home I checked the top of my sheep skin. Because it was warm to the touch I placed my hand underneath to check the seat, it was even warmer than the sheepskin cover. I lifted the seat and was hit with a wave of heat and noted the plastics under the seat, to include the gas cap, were hot to the touch. I went into the house and got my temperature gun to take a reading of the plastic under my seat (150.5 F) and on the side of my bike (183 F), and this was after my bike had sat for 5 minutes while I went in the house to find my temperature gun. I have attached photographs of these heat readings.
    In conclusion, I believe all of the above stated issues are caused by the heat trapped inside the engine compartment, due to the lack of airflow. I'm really concerned that, as I was told by the Service Department at Las Cruces Motorsports, the engine components are going to start failing because of the extreme heat that has no way to escape. I've done everything I can with no success, I'm tired of the heat taking away the pleasure of my riding experiencing and worrying about the damage it may be doing to my ST-L .

Many owners on this site (although not all) are experiencing problems with the heat in the engine compartment causing failing components. This is due to the lack of air flow the 2013 ST's. I really would like this problem addressed before the engine components in my bike begin failing, as has happened to others who own the same year and model, with more miles then mine. A preventative approach is definitely best.
    I am extremely impressed with the new Airflow Panels on the 2014's and have heard that a few 2013 ST owners have installed them and it seems to be alleviating the problems. I do not believe I should have to purchase these panels when I paid so much for my Spyder to begin with. It is BRP's responsibility to fix their design problem.

I spent over $23,000 on my bike, not counting taxes, registration, interest, the money spent trying to fix the problems inherent in the 2013's, etc, etc. When I purchased my Spyder I believed I would have a top of the line, quality product - I do not. I was so very surprised at the issues. I do not have the money to purchase a 2014 or another bike. Even if I wanted to, although I have had it less than a year with less than 8000 miles, my 2013 ST-L has dropped in value and reputation because of the problems associated with it so I cannot even use it as a reasonable trade-in.
    I have so many people approach me when I am on the road on my ST. They are totally fascinated with my bike and want to know how I like it. I am not comfortable recommending my CanAm Spyder to them knowing that it has a design problem that BRP is aware of, but not actively addressing.

I love my Can-Am ST-L, I gave up my Honda Shadow 750 and BMW F650GS to ride my Spyder exclusively. I do not want another bike, I do however want so much for my riding experience on my Spyder to be as fabulous, worry free and fulfilling as I thought it would be when I purchased it.
    My CanAm Service Department and I have pursued every avenue available to us to fix the problem. We are at a stand still and do not know where to go from here except for BRP to purchase and have the 2014 Air Flow Panels installed on my bike ...

OK, now I'm off my soap box ... Tada

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JacqueTanis; 04-13-2014 at 08:48 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great documentation!
    Have you contacted BRP, and forwarded it to them yet?

Spyder Garage

Great documentation!
    Have you contacted BRP, and forwarded it to them yet?
    I have, nothin' like a paper trail to pave the way. When I first got on my ride and felt the heat I knew there was a problem and that I would need help. They've been very friendly but don't seem to follow through. It's so very frustrating. I feel like I've done all I can and it's up them now. I sure hope they pick up the ball and run with this. I love my Spyder Angel, just want to be able to enjoy like it I should and don't think it's up to me to pick up any more of the tab up when it's a design flaw. I'm hoping they do the right thing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's frustrating when there seems to be no movement...
    Call them; remind them of the LAST conversation, and what was promised (and by whom it was promised!), and then ask why the follow-up hasn't happened yet...
    Keep after them, and don't let go!

Spyder Garage

Default Heat issues

I never thought that I had a heat problem on my 2011 RTs, just the usual gas smell and boiling gas in tank when stopped to refuel. Panels were hot to touch but again never burning. Last week I removed the air box and air intake resonator. I replaced them with JT's new air filter. Went for a ride that evening and I did not notice any heat issues but then the temps outside had dropped into the 80's. To give it a real test I took it out a day later during the mid-day when the outside temp was 95. I then noticed something I had not experienced before. The hot air that came out the two black vent areas under the mirrors. Not just when parked but while riding. The right foot was still hot so nothing changed there. I think I need to invest in the adjustable deflectors now as the non-adjustable ones allow the newly developed hot air to flow on my upper leg. After the ride I no longer had a gas smell and just to check opened the seat and listened for boiling gas. Nothing, so I opened the gas cap, again not a sound. The gas gauge showed the tank about 1/4 full. All the hot air generated had to go somewhere and the upper vents seemed to do their job. So much open space above the engine now I am sure heat at the gas tank will be less an issue. Only time will tell.

Spyder Garage

Talking It's a Grand Slam!

Under tupperware heat is now what one could describe as an acceptable norm. Puts an end to the poorly designed heat intensifying system the spyder came with. There had to have been a better way.

No smell of fuel on shut down or when stopped at a signal.

Requires less throttle roll on and provides better response from a much lower RPM. Can now gently roll on the throttle at 4K, as opposed to the previously required 5200 plus roll on point. < per my riding style.

Fully expect my fuel mileage will improve. Not because it is running leaner but, because the engine now requires far less throttle input in comparrison, and yields much better engine performance. With less throttle input.

A mod that is well worth the investment. Especially if under tupperware heat is an issue. Lots of pluses come with this mod.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default What did you Do???

JerBear

What did you do???

2013 ST-S SE-5 ("Quick Silver") Is her Name
    My Mods:

I Have Added the AM/FM Stereo and an Ultimate Seat, with Ryder Backrest, Power Sports wraps." Break Strips" Kit, GloRyders with the Spyder Cap, Fox Racing Shock and Anti- Sway Bar Kit, Spyder Pops Bump Skid, Spyderlighter's LED Running Light Kit With Fender lights. Cal Si Shorty Smoked Windshield, The 2014 Side Panels, Lamonsters Cat Delete, And an Akrapovic Sport Touring Exhaust.

Spyder Garage

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by kubie View Post
    JerBear

What did you do???
    JT's air filter.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. Was adding my thougts to the post that preceeded mine.

Spyder Garage

Default Let us in on your secret!

I see you just posted it, JT's also. I will have to look into it.

Today was my first day riding my Spyder at about 80 deg. I did not think the heat was too excessive but the gas smell when stopped has to be eliminated somehow. When I got back i decided to check the oil and I also did a fuel cap check. It was warm but I did not think it was too bad. I spun the cap off and I could not hear it boil but when I looked down in I could see a couple bubbles coming up so it was boiling ever so slightly. All I have done so far was to remove the 2 bottom panels which I do believe has helped. Next will be the CAT bypass as soon as Lamonster has them ready to ship. I think removing the cat is key, but if I could also get more airflow through the tupperware?? My fuel mileage also sucks! 3 fill ups this weekend nothing over 25.6. I was not beating it either, just some casual cruising with my wife on board.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Jt's Air filter

Any one know if JT's air filter will fit the 2013 ST-S? It says GS/RS and RT But not ST....

Thanks
    Kubie

2013 ST-S SE-5 ("Quick Silver") Is her Name
    My Mods:

I Have Added the AM/FM Stereo and an Ultimate Seat, with Ryder Backrest, Power Sports wraps." Break Strips" Kit, GloRyders with the Spyder Cap, Fox Racing Shock and Anti- Sway Bar Kit, Spyder Pops Bump Skid, Spyderlighter's LED Running Light Kit With Fender lights. Cal Si Shorty Smoked Windshield, The 2014 Side Panels, Lamonsters Cat Delete, And an Akrapovic Sport Touring Exhaust.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Under tupperware heat is now what one could describe as an acceptable norm. Puts an end to the poorly designed heat intensifying system the spyder came with. There had to have been a better way.

No smell of fuel on shut down or when stopped at a signal.

Requires less throttle roll on and provides better response from a much lower RPM. Can now gently roll on the throttle at 4K, as opposed to the previously required 5200 plus roll on point. < per my riding style.

Fully expect my fuel mileage will improve. Not because it is running leaner but, because the engine now requires far less throttle input in comparrison, and yields much better engine performance. With less throttle input.

A mod that is well worth the investment. Especially if under tupperware heat is an issue. Lots of pluses come with this mod.
    JT's air filter.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. Was adding my thougts to the post that preceeded mine.
    That is great Jer!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kubie View Post
    Any one know if JT's air filter will fit the 2013 ST-S? It says GS/RS and RT But not ST....

Thanks
    Kubie
    Why don't you call them, and post it here in this thread tomorrow

Spyder Garage

anyone that is having heat problems needs to think twice before they start heat shielding everything
    First
    if you have a bigger problem BRP is going to blame it on your home made shielding keeping the heat trapped under the plastic
    I agree that BRP should be the one fixing this problem
    But if you try home made remedies don't give BRP any reason to blame you

The heat under there is going to shorten the life of all the electronics and any rubber [hoses etc.] and plastic

If you do anything on your own try to give the heat a place to escape [maybe more vent openings and fans]

Just don't insulate and trap more heat

Only saying these things so people don't trap more heat and cause a fire and get hurt
    Don
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

VERY good advice!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default JT's Air Filter for heat problem

JT's air filter.

I've got a 2013 ST SE-5 with fewer than 10 miles on it. Had it delivered three days ago to Northern Virginia from Minnesota as even with shipping, it was much less expensive.

Only been driving it around an empty parking lot to learn skills before taking it out on the roads. I was told that the #2013-9 Service Bulletin was implemented before I bought it, but, it gets so hot that I can't keep my legs against the body of the Can Am.

I am in no way mechanically inclined, and have been doing my best to follow all the posts here on the heating issues. Would someone be so kind as to, in layman's terms, let me (us) know what you mean by "heat under the tupperware" and "JT's air filter," where the filter can be found, does it fit ST's, is it hard to install, and, which panels (specifically) were removed to help alleviate the problem?

I am indeed grateful for any assistance.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garb55 View Post
    anyone that is having heat problems needs to think twice before they start heat shielding everything
    First
    if you have a bigger problem BRP is going to blame it on your home made shielding keeping the heat trapped under the plastic
    I agree that BRP should be the one fixing this problem
    But if you try home made remedies don't give BRP any reason to blame you

The heat under there is going to shorten the life of all the electronics and any rubber [hoses etc.] and plastic

If you do anything on your own try to give the heat a place to escape [maybe more vent openings and fans]

Just don't insulate and trap more heat

Only saying these things so people don't trap more heat and cause a fire and get hurt
    Don
    This is why I won't hack off the evap canister or remove the catalytic converter. I have wrapped the exhaust pipes and added more heat shielding to the tank but have not added or removed anything else.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Unhappy And it is not hot out.....yet

Quote Originally Posted by STicks View Post

I've got a 2013 ST SE-5 with fewer than 10 miles on it. Had it delivered three days ago to Northern Virginia from Minnesota as even with shipping, it was much less expensive.

Only been driving it around an empty parking lot to learn skills before taking it out on the roads. I was told that the #2013-9 Service Bulletin was implemented before I bought it, but, it gets so hot that I can't keep my legs against the body of the Can Am.

I am in no way mechanically inclined, and have been doing my best to follow all the posts here on the heating issues. Would someone be so kind as to, in layman's terms, let me (us) know what you mean by "heat under the tupperware" and "JT's air filter," where the filter can be found, does it fit ST's, is it hard to install, and, which panels (specifically) were removed to help alleviate the problem?

Everyone here wishes they had a deffenative answer to what ails some of the '13's heat wise. Many have taken hugh swings at resolving the problem. As best I know. None of them have championed a one size fits all fix.

As a non 13 owner. I'm personally leary about offering up advice on something I know no more about than what I have read here.

Am not coping out on you. Simply do not want to give you potentially bad information. I'm sure other 13 owners with heat issues, and possible fixes will chime in.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by STicks View Post

First...

The Spyders (2013s in particular), seem to suffer from two different types of problems with heat...
    The first, is the perceived heat that the rider feels.
    This may be uncomfortable; but it's not as serious as...
    The heat that melt plastic parts up under the plastic
    Reports of melted evaporative canisters and brake master cylinder caps are very well-doucmented in here.
    BRP has a "patch" that involves wrapping the at-risk parts with heat barrier tape.
    Others have also put the barrier around their fuel tanks, and wrapped the exhause pipes as well...
    This is a good start; but we also pretty much believe that the amount of airflow under the bodywork needs to be increased.
    And BRP has added some new hoodscoops on the 2014 models.
    So... welcome aboard! Keep reading, and don't be bashful about asking questions!

Spyder Garage

Default New Panels

Has anyone been to the BRP site? They have a part number under custom accessories for the 2014 panel upgrade for 499.99. Does anyone know if this is a complete kit to change out the 2013 panels? Or do you need more parts? Thanks
    14 RT-S , Stock Large brake pedal White Pearl