Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Heat issue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat issue

Well I guess my heat issue saga will continue, I was able to go for a ride yesterday in the City but my ST-S again was Hot to the touch, I guess I need to avoid riding in the city or around town, is a pain in the ... to ride unless you are in the Pike or Parkway, not sure what to do anymore but I will be contacting an attorney regarding the heat issue with my motorcycle, the recall and the BRP fix is not working for me, and now my wife will not allow the kids to ride with me because she feels that is not save.

I understand that the heat issue is not on every ST-S, but I'm having the problem I do not feel that I need to pay for the new side panels to see if that will fix it, it needs to be BRP that get this done.

I feel that I have done everything they have ask me to do, the gas tank was so hot that I pour cold water just in case, I love my motorcycle but if something bad can happen to me or anybody riding is time to get an attorney involved.

Spyder Garage

Bummer about your heat issue,hope you can get it resolved. My 2013 RT has some heat issues when riding last summer. I purchased in August and in the summertime it was extremely hot around the glove box . And when I was finished riding the backbone ot the bike was so hot you could get burned and you could hear gas boiling in the tank. Also sometimes some serious gas fumes. I only have 1500 miles and haven't ridden yet this year. But I hope to have the update completed and delete the CAT and hopefully that will solve my issues. If not I might have to reevaluate my situation. Because I haven't even broke my bike in or started touring.
    Last edited by RBS66; 04-07-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat issue

We installed an anti sway bar and left the bottom panels off, I rode up to Bensalem Saturday. It was about 50 degrees. The heat didn't go above 2 bars. I hoping that helps because the bike ran really hot last summer.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good luck with the 2013 ST....they tend to run hot.....I'm trying ever so hard to be positive......planning a 2 day ride this week....we'll see have it does.....do what you have to do to make the 2013 right....for you.....

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baseball79ST2013 View Post
    the recall and the BRP fix is not working for me,

What is "the recall and BRP fix" ? I'm actively looking to purchase one of these don't want to go into something bad especially not knowing what the issue at hand or their proposed solution is. Are the 13's more susceptible to the problem?
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default HEAT ISSUE, WHAT HEAT ISSUE??????

If I had to do it again I would have bought 2012 or waited for the 2014s. But I'm hearing that the 14s are having problems also. Shoulda bought a WING.

Seems that once the BRP sale is made they don't much care what happens to the bike. I'm not talking about the dealer. the dealer is good, expensive but dose good work.. I ordered up a comfort seat through the dealer about a month ago and I still don't have all of the parts.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm having issues with my 13 RTS again as it's puking fuel out of the evap canister vent hose. Mine is going back to the dealer as soon as I figure out how I'm going to get back home?? Looking back now I wish I had bought a Wing as well, never been so disappointed in a product in my life!
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not everything is all beer and skittles over on the GoldWing side of the fence either...

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat issue

Even With the heat issues I'm having, I take my Spyder over any other bike I'm just hoping BRP, yes BRP takes care the problem soon before something happen to one of us when we are riding a defective BIKE is not me or any of us is your BIKE with the issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdwheel View Post
    We installed an anti sway bar and left the bottom panels off, I rode up to Bensalem Saturday. It was about 50 degrees. The heat didn't go above 2 bars. I hoping that helps because the bike ran really hot last summer.
    I just did exactly the same thing, installed a BajaRon bar and left off the two bottom panels. It's still too cold here to tell, and we have a 2014, but omitting those bottom panels sure makes sense to me, and sure will make oil changes easier!
    2019 Spyder F3-T, white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Even With the heat issues I'm having, I take my Spyder over any other bike I'm just hoping BRP, yes BRP takes care the problem soon before something happen to one of us when we are riding a defective BIKE is not me or any of us is your BIKE with the issue.
    Exactly what is your bike doing? Where is the heat manifesting itself, and what steps have been taken to alleviate it?

Spyder Garage

I can ride in shorts in city traffic after this simple fix. It has eliminated the volcano vent blowing on my left leg. No more hot gas cap. Reduced the temp of the panels bedside my legs. All for under 20 bucks in materials and a an hour of my time. It is still hot because I understand that that I am sitting on top of my engine, but compared to my 09 it is now about the same or cooler.

I built an air blocker out of foam weatherstripping, I bought, and some aluminium duct sealing tape I had laying around.

foam block 2.jpgfoam block one.jpgfoam block 3.jpgfoam block 4.jpgfoam block 5.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

very nice!

Spyder Garage

Hoping that a fix is still in the works for those with "heat issues" on their 2013's. The should be able to be ridden anywhere, and anytime. I too, am hoping that the end result is not a fire or worse.

Boiling gas, and to hot to the touch would scare me a whole lot.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat issue

Bob,

The issue is around the seat, under the seat and this weekend I notice the gas tank being extremely hot, is so hot that if I have my winter gloves on I can feel the heat, I have to ride with my legs away from the bike.

Thanks for the information, I feel than BRP needs to go out their way to fix the issue not me, all the home made remedies may work but what is the bike blows up while I'm riding with one of my kids or me, then what is going to be BRP's response to that, is great that some of the fixes are working a bit wait till is 90 and humit.

Spyder Garage

Bob,

The issue is around the seat, under the seat and this weekend I notice the gas tank being extremely hot, is so hot that if I have my winter gloves on I can feel the heat, I have to ride with my legs away from the bike.

Thanks for the information, I feel than BRP needs to go out their way to fix the issue not me, all the home made remedies may work but what is the bike blows up while I'm riding with one of my kids or me, then what is going to be BRP's response to that, is great that some of the fixes are working a bit wait till is 90 and humit.
    I have been riding in comfort since last July and you are still complaining. So I ask, how is your strategy in waiting for BRP to fix your complaint workin for ya???

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Angry Different srokes for different folks

What's with the personal attacks and perfunctory questions? The guy is venting. Let him speak his piece.

Damn!!

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Some people (including me) are not going to spend any time or $$$ to repair a 20K to 30K bike that should be right for that kind of money. It would be different if they were purchased used and your just not happy with it, but come on a new bike! I dropped my 13rts off at the dealer yesterday for puking fuel out the evap canister vent and the first thing they mentioned is overfilling the tank, I'm not going to accept that as an answer. If over filling the tank will allow the canister to be filled with fuel then MOVE the canister so that can't happen... oh wait they did... 2014 its back under the seat! I don't think hacking it off it the answer either. I'm not sure where it's located on the older models but on my bike it's bolted to the right side of the rear cylinder lower than the tank, go figure!
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat issue

billybovine ,

I'M happy you are riding in comfort maybe you should working for BRP and fix all the heat issues.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat issue

As a ST-S owner I have done everything BRP has ask of me but spend my money to fix a faulty or design problem is the manufacture in this case BRP that needs to go out of their way to please an FIX the machines issues, maybe in Canada you have to fix it but here we have LEMON LAWS to protect the consumers from companies or manufactures that only care about their bottom line, $$$ in their pockets.

And I'm and will make sure the issues with my bike are taking care my them, thank you for your feedback.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 ST and I have had so many problems I have forgotten some of them......I agree it is not the owners place to repair and redesign a faulty machine....but we have had to do just that.....and when BRP does try and fix something ...we are not always pleased with their Band-Aid.......we usually have to redo it.....the shaking and shuttering at slow take off...is caused from wheel bearings not turning.....the only way BRP is going to do anything to fix a 2013 is to contact BRP and not let up....

flame away....

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Not everything is all beer and skittles over on the GoldWing side of the fence either...

Comparing another brands problem Has Nothing to do with the heat problems people are having with certain 2013 models so this is a Very Insensitive Post to people with problems!!

Wait till your transmission blows and you are making payments on something you can,t even use?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you actually hoping, that I end up with a bike-full of headaches?
    If you read the post before mine; you would see that there was a definite reference to Honda...
    "3 Wheel Addict
    I'm having issues with my 13 RTS again as it's puking fuel out of the evap canister vent hose. Mine is going back to the dealer as soon as I figure out how I'm going to get back home?? Looking back now I wish I had bought a Wing as well, never been so disappointed in a product in my life!"

My comments were only to remind all in here, that there are no perfect products out there. Each and every manufacturer throws up a complete miss at one time or another...
    If they're smart; they learn from it, and improve their product line

But what you just said to me... not too cool!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I believe there was or is a class action lawsuit started for the heat issues for the 2010 -2012 RT's. There are thousands of owners including myself that have had to deal with it. There is NO fix for the older RT's that is safe or will fix the problem. BRP has been fully aware of the design flaw and has turned their head and agnored the complaints which is very sad. They have created a love/hate relationship for many of the owners. I personally just used a 2014 RT for a 950 mile road trip and the big enjoyment was that my leg did not melt off. The suggestion has been proposed to BRP that a significant discount on a trade-in would be offered for proven heat problem issue's, so that the hit on a trade in on preowned Spyder RTs. But truthfully that does not fix the problem.

Well I guess my heat issue saga will continue, I was able to go for a ride yesterday in the City but my ST-S again was Hot to the touch, I guess I need to avoid riding in the city or around town, is a pain in the ... to ride unless you are in the Pike or Parkway, not sure what to do anymore but I will be contacting an attorney regarding the heat issue with my motorcycle, the recall and the BRP fix is not working for me, and now my wife will not allow the kids to ride with me because she feels that is not save.

I understand that the heat issue is not on every ST-S, but I'm having the problem I do not feel that I need to pay for the new side panels to see if that will fix it, it needs to be BRP that get this done.

I feel that I have done everything they have ask me to do, the gas tank was so hot that I pour cold water just in case, I love my motorcycle but if something bad can happen to me or anybody riding is time to get an attorney involved.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Are you actually hoping, that I end up with a bike-full of headaches?
    If you read the post before mine; you would see that there was a definite reference to Honda...
    "3 Wheel Addict
    I'm having issues with my 13 RTS again as it's puking fuel out of the evap canister vent hose. Mine is going back to the dealer as soon as I figure out how I'm going to get back home?? Looking back now I wish I had bought a Wing as well, never been so disappointed in a product in my life!"

My comments were only to remind all in here, that there are no perfect products out there. Each and every manufacturer throws up a complete miss at one time or another...
    If they're smart; they learn from it, and improve their product line

But what you just said to me... not too cool!
    I Meant Every Word Because "Too Often," You Make Little of others problems or encourage them to fix them by themselves when BRP is the one who needs to fix the problems!!!!
    I could care less what you think of me !!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!