Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Finally out of hibernation omg my insurance rates!!!!

So I was pretty busy this weekend with the kid, but I did notice a lot of motorcycles out and about. So late this afternoon I uncovered the Spyder and started her up. She started no problem. Ran real good for about thirty seconds and stalled. Was a little hard to start, but did get it going again. It ran well. Sputtered a bit, this time I gave it a little throttle, and that was that, she is running beautifully. I put stabilizer in the gas, and I don't use a battery tender. I haven't seem the need to. I do only a little bit more for my other toys and never have any issues.

To lazy to fire up the compressor to get the tire pressure right. So I went on the internet and renewed my insurance online with month by month payments. The insurance on a Spyder went up 100 percent in my Province. And that's after I get a 20 percent discount. Wth. Thanks SGI !!! They wanted to raise motorcycle rates over 300 percent on some crotch rockets last spring. Huge public back lash last year forced them to review what they were proposing and they struck up a study. I guess they decided winter when everyone's bike is parked would be a good time to raise rates and not tell anyone.

On a Spyder can you believe it. I haven't seen anyone under the age of 24 riding one around here. I haven't seen one going down a residential street on one wheel at 150 km/h. I haven't see one riding down the road with the rider standing on the seat or riding the handle bars. I can't say I have seen one ever doing 320 km/h on the highway. They are governed at 180 km/h. Don't ask me how I know it only partially relevant... Lol. I have never seen a Spyder low side or high side drop. There are only two dealers in the whole Province that sell an average of fifty Spyders a year each. I estimate there are likely less than 600 Spyders registered in the Province. I have never known a Spyder to have been in a collision in this Province. I have a clean driver abstract. My last ticket was fifteen years ago, and I hold a clean commercial vehicle and motorcycle driver abstract at 45 years old. The insurance company probably doesn't even know what a Spyder is or how many wheels it has.

Oh btw. The monthly rate on a Spyder is $140 a month For me. Without a full discount it is over $2000 a year.

That's my rant. Thanks for listening. Good part is today is the start of many more rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I hear you and agree. If SGI wants to target those who are abusing themselves and their property so be it but I also have never heard of anyone on a spyder in this province totalling off their unit or themselves. I think their problem is as what you stated, in that they don't know what a spyder is and the inherent safety features it has to offer as standard equipment. We should approach SGI as a user group to investigate the lowering of these inflated rates based on stats for sports bikes and other two wheeled units.
    2014 Black RT SE6 - OEM backrest, fog lamps, & led light kit
    2012 NC 700XA (sold)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hey Maxson. Which dealer did you buy your Spyder from. Have you taken delivery yet? I was out your way last weekend for the kids spring hockey camp. Dropped in at the Yamaha and Honda dealer during down time. I get out your way in the summer for baseball or if cutting through to Alberta to visit.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Maxson View Post
    I hear you and agree. If SGI wants to target those who are abusing themselves and their property so be it but I also have never heard of anyone on a spyder in this province totalling off their unit or themselves. I think their problem is as what you stated, in that they don't know what a spyder is and the inherent safety features it has to offer as standard equipment. We should approach SGI as a user group to investigate the lowering of these inflated rates based on stats for sports bikes and other two wheeled units.
    I am thinking of doing some research on this topic and sending them a letter. Which they likely ignore. Because they are the only show in town. I carry a package policy which is only $150. Makes no sense.

Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

That is rough...sorta like our healh care system here. Going up and up but glad to hear you are able to get out and ryde some..enjoy it's been a while for you all...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Is ABATE in Canada? If so, maybe they can help?

Spyder Garage

Yep good old SGI....When your the only game in town you make all the rules..First rule don't allow any competition. My 15 year old Yamaha Venture still runs around $1300 a year to insure. Crazy when compared to what they other paying other places.

Spyder Garage

Your getting hosed! Unfortunately you only have 1 option for insurance in your province.
    Last year my insurance was $550.
    Had an accident and wrote off my 2012 RT-Ltd, Pay out was 25,600.
    Insuring 2014 RT-Ltd full coverage with 4 years full replacement for $620...
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the World of; "Spreading The Risk..."
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yeah Purple Guy. I was going to say mine is only around $600 a year with full coverage and actual cash value comprehensive on it.

Spyder Garage

Our rates in Quebec are pretty steep as well. We have to pay for insurance to 2 different places.

1) the Quebec government for the annual registration of the Spyder. This costs $560 of which $450 is for "insurance"
    2) to an insurance company. This costs me $350 per year.

Total about $800 per year.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Can-Am Poogs View Post
    So I was pretty busy this weekend with the kid, but I did notice a lot of motorcycles out and about. So late this afternoon I uncovered the Spyder and started her up. She started no problem. Ran real good for about thirty seconds and stalled. Was a little hard to start, but did get it going again. It ran well. Sputtered a bit, this time I gave it a little throttle, and that was that, she is running beautifully. I put stabilizer in the gas, and I don't use a battery tender. I haven't seem the need to. I do only a little bit more for my other toys and never have any issues.

To lazy to fire up the compressor to get the tire pressure right. So I went on the internet and renewed my insurance online with month by month payments. The insurance on a Spyder went up 100 percent in my Province. And that's after I get a 20 percent discount. Wth. Thanks SGI !!! They wanted to raise motorcycle rates over 300 percent on some crotch rockets last spring. Huge public back lash last year forced them to review what they were proposing and they struck up a study. I guess they decided winter when everyone's bike is parked would be a good time to raise rates and not tell anyone.

On a Spyder can you believe it. I haven't seen anyone under the age of 24 riding one around here. I haven't seen one going down a residential street on one wheel at 150 km/h. I haven't see one riding down the road with the rider standing on the seat or riding the handle bars. I can't say I have seen one ever doing 320 km/h on the highway. They are governed at 180 km/h. Don't ask me how I know it only partially relevant... Lol. I have never seen a Spyder low side or high side drop. There are only two dealers in the whole Province that sell an average of fifty Spyders a year each. I estimate there are likely less than 600 Spyders registered in the Province. I have never known a Spyder to have been in a collision in this Province. I have a clean driver abstract. My last ticket was fifteen years ago, and I hold a clean commercial vehicle and motorcycle driver abstract at 45 years old. The insurance company probably doesn't even know what a Spyder is or how many wheels it has.

Oh btw. The monthly rate on a Spyder is $140 a month For me. Without a full discount it is over $2000 a year.

That's my rant. Thanks for listening. Good part is today is the start of many more rides.

I agree with everything that you say about the insurance on these machines being too high. I renewed mine on Saturday and it will be about $140 a month. However I must disagree with the statement about the 100% increase. On August 30,2013 all motorcycles were increased by 15% because the government stepped in and capped all increases for SGI at 15%. Is that too much? Yes it is. But I compared my last years registration to this year and my increase was almost exactly 15%.

Spyder Garage

And I thought we paid out the nose! So am I to assume that the insurance you pay to the government is to cover everyone who doesn't have insurance?

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    And I thought we paid out the nose! So am I to assume that the insurance you pay to the government is to cover everyone who doesn't have insurance?
    I don't think so. It is to cover the medical costs of those that are injured in a vehicle accident. Motorcyclists are considered to have a higher chance of that so they pay more to plate their bikes than car owners do to plate their cars.

Not having insurance is not a common thing up here, unlike in the US.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Ouch on the insurance rates. I pay $600 per year for full coverage on the 2010 and $648 per year for full coverage on the 2011. Neither is ridden for 6 months of the year, but coverage is required by the insurance carrier (State Farm), regardless.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

State Farm and $411.00 per year and $5000 coverage for farkels.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Can-Am Poogs View Post
    Hey Maxson. Which dealer did you buy your Spyder from. Have you taken delivery yet? I was out your way last weekend for the kids spring hockey camp. Dropped in at the Yamaha and Honda dealer during down time. I get out your way in the summer for baseball or if cutting through to Alberta to visit.

I bought it or I should say ordered it at FFun motor sports in Saskatoon. That was in Jan. but last week they told me it won't be in till June sometime, so until then I will be riding my Honda which I'm trading in.

What part of Sask are you in? Once I get my unit we may have to meet up for a ride.
    2014 Black RT SE6 - OEM backrest, fog lamps, & led light kit
    2012 NC 700XA (sold)

Spyder Garage

Hi Can-Am Poogs and other Saskatchewan riders. Yes the rates have gone crazy and I did write my MLA and explaned everything you said but im sure it went to deaf ears as I never did get a reply even tho I asked for one. Yes we are covered for uninsured drivers but when a person buys the licence the insurance is included so we do not have the problems as in the U.S. We still have lots of snow here and forcast to snow again this week end so have not licenced my Spyder yet,but am hoping in the next couple weeks to. We have eight Spyders around here and talk of another Harley rider switching so will be outnumbering all the rest of the motorcycles around here. Still hope to be able to meet up with some of you fellows this summer.
    Roger

Spyder Garage

Default insurance on Spyder

I have been with GEICO for 2 years and I pay $740.00 full coverage, + Towing and Labor costs, and they offer winter storage rates. Plus I have MSF, Renewal and Anti-Theft Discounts. I have a CLEAN Record ( Accident Free) Check around for rates. Deanna777

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

wow...where's that dislike button....rape for sure

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R FUN View Post
    Hi Can-Am Poogs and other Saskatchewan riders. Yes the rates have gone crazy and I did write my MLA and explaned everything you said but im sure it went to deaf ears as I never did get a reply even tho I asked for one. Yes we are covered for uninsured drivers but when a person buys the licence the insurance is included so we do not have the problems as in the U.S. We still have lots of snow here and forcast to snow again this week end so have not licenced my Spyder yet,but am hoping in the next couple weeks to. We have eight Spyders around here and talk of another Harley rider switching so will be outnumbering all the rest of the motorcycles around here. Still hope to be able to meet up with some of you fellows this summer.
    Roger
    Hey Roger. I live in Colonsay(near Saskatoon) but I will be at Kenosee Lake August 20-24. I will let you know. Would be fun to ride with other Spyders.

Spyder Garage

Sounds good Geoshmo, we are not that far from Kenosee lake. I have two daughters in Saskatoon so get up there periodically.

Spyder Garage

Ouch! Mine isn't nearly that high, but MI is one of the three highest insurance rate stares (overall). What really me off is my rate goes up regular as clock work every billing cycle despite not having any tickets, or made any claims. It's always some lame smarmy excuse why my incrementally older vehicles, which are worth less, should be incrementally more for insurance!

Don't worry! When I get to be Dictator...............................things will be different! Mmuuuu hhhaaaa hhhhaaaa!!!!!!!!!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

In Manitoba our insurance is based from may 1 until October 31 so have to pay on 6 months and can't cancel over winter months to save a little.MY 2010 RTS was 1150 last year from MPIC spyder is still covered over winter but has to be payed by oct 31

Spyder Garage

Here in Saskatchewan my annual premium is $1614. But because I can only ride for 6 months I can cancel it in October which means it is only costing me just over $800 for the riding season. This plate coverage gives me a $700 deductible and $200,000 liability. I then have an extra policy which brings my deductible to $350, my liability to $2,000,000 and it also covers me while my bike is in storage. This policy costs me $98 annually. So my bike registration and insurance costs me about $900 per year.