Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default About to pull the trigger - some final questions

Just did a test drive - everything awesome. I'm about to pull the trigger on a rock bottom 2014 RS SM5, which supposedly takes 2-3 weeks to order.

What's the invoice price? MSRP of the '14 is $14,899. I got an initial quote of $13,999 + $695 freight, but the sheet says "2013", the dealer said he had to do it this way in the computer, but the price will be the same for the '14. However, I just remembered they significantly reduced the price of the base model RS in '14. The MSRP of the '13 RS SM5 was $16,699, so it wasn't clear if this was factored in. I'm wondering if the '14 is entered in the computer, it will get a similar $2,700 drop off the MSRP to $12,199.

In other words, what's a good price/percentage below MSRP?

Also, what's the final verdict of the necessity of this laser alignment. I read a bunch about it and some people say it's practically mandatory to do a laser alignment ASAP. The dealer poo-poo'ed this, said he never heard of it being important (he's owned a few Spyders in the past). Also, this dealer does not have laser alignments (they are a "Platinum" level certified dealer).

Spyder Garage

You are probably not going to find deep discounts on any new 2014 RT. They are currently "hot" in a good way, and we hear of people posting daily about their new 2014. You might want to check price with another dealer or two. HOWEVER, I am one who lets the final price be secondary, and service after the sale be primary.

RE: the alignment. Pro active dealers should check them out and fix if the machines are not in factory spec. It seems that most are not. If the dealer does not have the laser set up--then find someone who does. You don't say where you are from, so can't help there.

The freight and any set up should be negotiable. But don't expect miracles.

Good luck on your purchase. We will expect the mandatory pictures when you post about the purchase.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    You are probably not going to find deep discounts on any new 2014 RT. They are currently "hot" in a good way, and we hear of people posting daily about their new 2014. You might want to check price with another dealer or two. HOWEVER, I am one who lets the final price be secondary, and service after the sale be primary.

RE: the alignment. Pro active dealers should check them out and fix if the machines are not in factory spec. It seems that most are not. If the dealer does not have the laser set up--then find someone who does. You don't say where you are from, so can't help there.

The freight and any set up should be negotiable. But don't expect miracles.

Good luck on your purchase. We will expect the mandatory pictures when you post about the purchase.
    I believe he's looking at the RS rather than RT. Good point on laser tho; get that factored in if you can. I think most are not in true alignment from the factory, no matter what dealers say.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you think that you're buying a 2014; and the paperwork is saying "2013"... I'd be VERY nervous.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I agree with Bob - check the VIN number and build date on the bike before you accept it. Checking with another reasonably nearby dealer (even if you don't want to deal with them), may indicate whither this is a "bait & switch".

Nothing would anger me more than to get the title in the mail and have it show my new ride to be a 2013!!! "Let the buyer beware"
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I believe he's looking at the RS rather than RT. Good point on laser tho; get that factored in if you can. I think most are not in true alignment from the factory, no matter what dealers say.
    My bad--I missed that one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you think that you're buying a 2014; and the paperwork is saying "2013"... I'd be VERY nervous.
    Make double sure that the dealer is not trying to sell a 2013 for a 2014. Make sure you get the 2014 part in writing. If the dealer is pulling a switcheroo, we would sure like to know who it is so that we can warn other potential customers away. A dealer like that deserves to lose all their business.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Shop around....I have never paid freight or prep fees for any of my 4 spyders and refuse to. Not sure where you are located as your profile doesnt say but if you check with maybe the dealers that are within 200 miles of you then you will typically find one that is more agressive than the other. My 2014 RTS I bought from NC and saved $7000 when trading in my 2013 STS compared to the 3 dealers within 2 hours of my home in Virginia. Well worth the little over 3 hour drive.
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

Is say if there ordering it for ya get it in writing that it is a 14 and that if it is not your deposit is refundable !

Even the RS 's have the vents on the side so it be easy to pick out , ask if they can get the vin of the bike 10th digit will tells ya the year

Spyder Garage

This sounds mighty fishy. I would never accept "forged" documents saying a vehicle is something other than represented. I think the dealer is up to something hinky! I would bide my time and look elsewhere, unless I could inspect the vehicle beforehand and the paperwork matched the vehicle info. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just to clarify, I don't think there's any funny business going on with the year. This wasn't a final build sheet. This was an initial quote. He said it was easier for him to crunch the numbers quickly since he had a '13 already on the floor and in his system. I guess he would have had to start entering ordering information for the '14. He understood I would be ordering a '14 from the factory.

Just want to get an idea on what a good price would be for a $14,899 spyder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 RS SM5 Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Oh, and I'm from Westchester County NY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 RS SM5 Black

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RS

that price looks right -- bought the wife a 2014 RS SM5 for Valentines Day --(I hate flowers) -- seems like the standard price in this area(northern Illinois) although I did shop around via internet and did find some dealers selling for up to 3k more -- think there was a rebate also(1k) when I bought hers(Feb "14") she loves the trike ( she wanted to drive and I wasnt gonna ride on the back of my RT!!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BonesDT View Post
    Oh, and I'm from Westchester County NY
    Sullivan County here!!

Come up to Harriman, and take 17 West to exit 100 (Liberty)
    Rte 55 East to Grahamsville... 13.2 miles
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Any more thoughts on the laser alignment? I definitely don't want any problems at highway speeds.

The closer dealer (Stamford Motorsports, CT) that I did the test drive with does not have laser alignments. Dutchess Recreational Vehicles, Poughkeepsie, NY, which is a little further, is giving me slightly better prices (at least over the phone). They DO have laser alignments for about $150-200. Stamford told me it takes 3-weeks to order while Dutchess says 1-week. Obviously, all of this talk I just take with a grain of salt.

I know a lot of you have said to just go with dealer that will offer you better service. Not sure how that works, since I'll probably have to pay out of pocket for services and what difference does it make where the purchase originated? I can't really get a feel anyway about the service departments other than one has laser alignments the other doesn't. The few reviews online complain about the exorbitant fees at both service depts.

I'm looking to pull the trigger on Saturday. Is there any advantage to buy the Spyder at the place where you plan to go for laser alignments in the future? Should I get a laser alignment immediately before riding it home? Should I haggle the initial laser alignment as a free-b?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BonesDT View Post
    Any more thoughts on the laser alignment? Should I get a laser alignment immediately before riding it home? Should I haggle the initial laser alignment as a free-b?
    Your new machine should be PERFECT when you take ownership of it. If it is less then PERFECT condition I would not accept it until a mutual agreement in writing is in your hot hands.

There is nothing magic about laser type alignment. It is the simplistic method used to construct the device and the ZERO tolerance for fit and training the ROLO Outlaw folks seem to instill during training that makes it appear as MAGIC. I havE beeN to their facility and Mike has a no nonsense attitude about his pet project and everything he does......

Spyder Garage

There is nothing wrong with a misaligned Spyder. Most everyone here at Spyderlovers had misaligned bikes and didn't even know it, didn't stop them from smiling. Heck, my RS was terribly misaligned for years and I never even knew it.

Of course, once I *did* get a laser alignment, the thing was like an entirely new bike, and a joy to handle.

So, bottom line: yes, it DOES make a difference, but NO, it's not something that I would consider a dealbreaker in a purchase, let alone an actual safety hazard. If the dealer isn't prepped to do it, no biggie-- you just may want to get it done in a year or two on your own, just to be sure.

I'd just do this: when you actually go to sign your paperwork, take the opportunity to talk to the mechanic(s) that will be doing your Spyder setup. Most Spyder problems show up in the first few hundred miles from improper setup-- dealers cut corners, or you just get a "Friday bike"; people are human, mistakes happen. Have the mechanics explain to you what is entailed in setting up the Spyder once they get it from the crate-- have them walk you through everything, step by step. If they're a good dealer, they'll be happy to talk this over with a new customer.

(BTW-- I just noticed this was my 1,330 post; guess I need a 2014 RT now, eh?
    Last edited by daveinva; 04-10-2014 at 07:43 PM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!