Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I need a little help...

I'm a brand new rider (three weeks and just got my license so I can ride alone) and I'm loving my new Spyder SE5. I have never had a motorcycle, so I was very excited when Can-Am came out with a bike I could ride while traveling with my husband. We have always traveled two up.

We live in Oregon where the only straight rode seems to be I-5. I'm loving riding on rodes that have sweeps and some curves, but my inexperience comes in big time when I get into tighter curves, some S curves, sharp corners, etc. I slow way down and go slowly through those curves. My question is what is the best way/techniques to go through all of those S curves and corners? Body position, speed, any good hints for me? I have to be honest enough to say I am 62 and do not have a big need for speed in corners, but I need some pointers.

Thanks!
    Liz

Spyder Garage

welcome and

Do the speed limit and look where you want to go and the Spyder will follow.

A safety class would be a great idea and will help you to gain confidence in your ride. Practice makes perfect as they say.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Help Con't....

Thanks, so far so good then. What's your body position? I looked into a safety class and they don't work with "trykes"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YSWMN View Post
    Thanks, so far so good then. What's your body position?
    That all depends on your speed. If you're doing the speed limit you can pretty much stay in the center of the Spyder. If you are going through fast you want to slide your body to the inside of the turn.

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Are you sure that you want to slide to the outside of the corner? I ride a conventional trike and the quickest way around is to slide your body toward the inside of the corner. I've only had a short demo on the Spyder but found out quickly that sitting straight up wasn't working very well. With the slick seat I needed to lean or slide to the inside to be able to stay on it. Your thoughts please.

Dwight

Spyder Garage

On the new Spyder, I hope you enjoy it.

The biggest adjustment I had from my other bikes was to turn the handle bars and trust it. It is a different feel than motorcycles, quads, and snowmobiles. It has a feel that is unique to the Spyder. Take it to a big empty parking lot and test it a bit, get a good feel for the g-forces you feel. They will become normal to you as you leard to trust what the Spyder will do. At the speed limits there is no question your Spyder will handle it. Of course there is the romp on it and hang on method but I would't avise that quite yet.
    Hang on!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've been leaning in and toward the turn and that feels right. Thanks for the input. I've just not figured out what the bike will do and at what speed. Practice, practice, practice!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for the advise. I'll head down to our mall early in the A.M. when no one is around and give it a try. I know it's a matter of trusting and knowing what the bike will do. Ah, time...

Spyder Garage

I've been leaning in and toward the turn and that feels right. Thanks for the input. I've just not figured out what the bike will do and at what speed. Practice, practice, practice!
    Leaning in is correct. For example, if you're going through a left hand turn hard, you'll be leaning to the left - the direction you are going. 'Just like on a quad or snowmobile. If you lean outside, you're certainly more apt to cause a high side situation.

I think Lamont means that. But, maybe worded it differently?
    - Greg

2013 RT-S Circuit Yellow Metallic

Previously owned...

2008 Spyder GS (Full Moon) 32,800 miles
    2011 Spyder RS-S (Magnesium/Black) 31,230 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
    Are you sure that you want to slide to the outside of the corner? I ride a conventional trike and the quickest way around is to slide your body toward the inside of the corner. I've only had a short demo on the Spyder but found out quickly that sitting straight up wasn't working very well. With the slick seat I needed to lean or slide to the inside to be able to stay on it. Your thoughts please.

Dwight
    You slide to the side that wants to lift.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

And the side that wants to lift is the inside.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Don't have a lot of Spyder experience, hopefully mine will be here next week, but as a long time boss Hoss trike owner, I can tell you Lamont is right, On the Boss you can go in to a tight U-turn and bring the outside tire off the ground. therefore you want to slide to that side, the upper or outside. I understand the stability control want allow the Spyder to do this.

Wayne

Spyder Garage

The seat on the Spyder isn't very slippery, so you seem to need to actually pick yourself off the seat to move your buns to the inside of the turn. Bending at the waist, and leaning forward works quite well. Some also suggest pushing down hard on the footrest opposite the turn direction, ala skiiing, but I can't seem to get used to this. Find a quiet road with some gentle curves, practice shifting your weight to the inside of the curve, and in no time you will be keeping up. My wife was just as inexperienced, and tentative in the corners. Now when I look in my rearview mirrors she is always gaining on my motorcycle in the turns!
    -Scotty

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

And the side that wants to lift is the inside.
    You're right, it IS the inside tire which wants to lift....here's an excerpt from the owner's guide:

Sideways Forces in Turns
    Unlike a motorcycle, the Spyder roadster
    does not lean in turns. You will
    feel sideways forces pushing you to
    the outside of the turn. To maintain
    balance, the operator and passenger
    must hold onwith both hands and keep
    both feet firmly planted on the footpegs.
    In hard turns, it may help to lean
    your upper body forward and toward
    the inside of the turn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    You're right, it IS the inside tire which wants to lift....here's an excerpt from the owner's guide:

Sideways Forces in Turns
    Unlike a motorcycle, the Spyder roadster
    does not lean in turns. You will
    feel sideways forces pushing you to
    the outside of the turn. To maintain
    balance, the operator and passenger
    must hold onwith both hands and keep
    both feet firmly planted on the footpegs.
    In hard turns, it may help to lean
    your upper body forward and toward

the inside of the turn.

...as I (and most of us) have said. It's common sense, really.
    - Greg

Previously owned...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I find that under 85mph all I have to do on a highway turn is just turn the wheel and slightly lean to the inside. On sharp mountain corners I lean a little forward and further in if the turn is like a 65 degree to 50 degree turn and the speed is over 55 mph. Under 55 on these sharp type corners the bike does really well for itself with just turning the wheel, you will find your body feeling like it wants to flip out but it won't let you go that far really.

Spyder Garage

Here are a few photos that show the Spyder cornering at speed..

Last edited by Greg H.; 08-25-2008 at 06:51 PM.
    - Greg

Previously owned...

Spyder Garage

I stand corrected it's been a long weekend with very little sleep.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well...to everyone who has responded...Thank You! I guess it's just going to be alot of riding (oh gee) and learning to trust the bike. I really appreciate the support. I am having so much fun and it's only week three.

Liz

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hey Liz,

There IS a class for you. Just maybe looking in the wrong place. You should take Vernon Wade's class in Oregon. He teaches the STEP program for trikes & sidecars. Same principles apply to this ride. I took this class in '06 with my Ural sidecar, and it was the best thing I ever did.

Lemme see if I can find a link for you.... Here you go:

http://adventuresidecar.com/

Vernon is a great teacher, no attitude, lots of patience and an expert rider. I think he might try to convince you to let him take the Spyder for a spin

I practice pretty much the same behaviors on the Spyder- Translation: Hang a cheak over whenever you are even remotely feeling the 'pull' of the turn.

Like others have said, fundamentally I know the machine is far more stable and capable than I give it credit for. But old fears and old habits (from the side car) die hard, and doing this makes all the difference for me.

There is one more class offered in September, after that you'll have to wait until next spring... Tell him Kural (Karla) says hi!

-Karla

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I stand corrected it's been a long weekend with very little sleep.
    Ha! Nobody minded--after all, you DO keep posting that photo of you leaning into a turn!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hi Karla,

Thank you so much for the information about the STEP program. I've checked the dates in September and I've got jury duty starting the week of the 15th for two weeks. I'm going to check to see if I can get out of a few days of it and go to Hood River. If I go I will let you know how it went.

I hope to see you on the road sometime. I will certainly say "hi" to Vernon for you.

Thanks again!
    Liz

Spyder Garage

Here'a a trick Igot from my friend who also rides a Silver Spyder.
    Grip hard with the inside hand on a turn and relax your outside hand. I was pushing with the outside hand and relaxing withthe inside. Try reversing this and then just lett he wheels take you through the turn. Does that make sense ?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yup, it sure does. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jeuchler View Post
    Ha! Nobody minded--after all, you DO keep posting that photo of you leaning into a turn!!

No.... And, like Lamont said; he was tired.
    - Greg

Previously owned...