Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default GARMAN GPS WIREING

Is there a way to fish GPS wires down from the top of the bike into the Frounk or from the bottom up. 2013 STS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdwheel View Post
    Is there a way to fish GPS wires down from the top of the bike into the Frounk or from the bottom up. 2013 STS
    No need to get into the trunk for a GPS unless there is something I'm missing.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default GARMON GPS WIREING

I want to run the GPS wire to the trunk because that's where the power is. Is there someplace else that I can plug in a GARMON GPS?

Spyder Garage

I would hook up to a 12V source somewhere else. It would also be a good idea to find a switched source so that the GPS goes on and off with the key.

If you plug it in the trunk power outlet. You have to take the trunk off and drill a hole in the back to get the wire through. Route the wire. Then whenever the trunk has to come off, you or a mechanic will have to deal with that wire.

If you got a Garmin Zumo model I believe it comes with a motorcycle mount that will hook up to 12V. (Double check that). If you have model that is powered using a USB plug you can buy a harness that can be hard wired in and converts the 12V to 5V.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Its not a Zumo but it dose have a 12v plug. Would you know were I might find a power source for 12v. My intentions are to mount it over the TACH since I don't use it to shift, I lessen to the engine and speed to shift up and down.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Its not a Zumo but it dose have a 12v power cord. Would you know where I might find a 12v power source. My intentions are to mount it over the TACH since I don't use it to shift up or down. I lesion to the engine to shift gears

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wired a 12v plug from the battery up to the front (just below the dash board) and I mount the GPS on the windshield and plug it into the
    plug from the battery. I do not leave the GPS on the bike when i,am not with it so there is no chance of it draining the battery.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

On my 12 RSS there are two fused 12v sources behind the frunk under the plastic pannel that covers the radiator catch bottle you can use the switched fuse circut to run a 12v outlet to the guage area as i have done and plug the Garmin into that,When the key is off so will the GPS also having both outlets in the frunk one keyed and one not gives you access to plug in a battery maintainer for long spels.

Spyder Garage

Keep in mind that the bike is built as four independent modules, the frunk, the console, the rear trunk and the main frame. My dealer told me I would have to pay extra if they had to cut or rewire anything that I had added that was not properly installed with disconnects logically placed so they could remove the modules for warranty or other work. Depending on the GPS they can draw a lot of power (just check the fuse size), my large on in my company truck will drain the battery overnight if left on so also be careful not to tap into just any power wire.

It sounds as if you are going to go directly to the battery with an independent fuse between the GPS and the battery which is perfect. Depending where you place the GPS there are different routes you can use to get down but not that will not require removal of Tupperware. Also, if you choose to have the GPS switched by the ignition circuit (recommended, see above) then you need to install a relay that will be triggered by a tap off of an ignition wire then powered to the battery. Be sure the relay has a diode built in or you purchase and install a diode in the trigger wire to prevent spikes when the relay coil collapses or it may cause issues with "BUD"

You can give me call or PM me if you want to know which panels to remove and how to do so.

Good luck,

Randy 360 815-4232

Spyder Garage

I would get one of these and hard wire it in.

garmin power cable.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default wires

the black switch panel, 2 push pins, lift up has 2 dummy plugs with large connectors attached, wire connector next to black wire is a keyed 12v source ck with test lite to be sure, I hooked my cb to it no problems

Spyder Garage

I should have have asked the same question long ago, because I found this too after I already removed the speedometer/tac bezel and fed a wire between them down to the battery. I taped the wire to a clothes hanger and fed the straightened out hanger down to the battery opening. It took some doing but I finally got it. Larry T's approach is much simpler but I felt like I needed to go separately to the battery, then to the dummy switch.

That said I now have a USB port for my iPhone which I put the Garmin app on, and minus the bad weather protection the Zuma offers, it works great. I also downloaded an AM/FM app, an now I've got that too on one device. I keep a small clear plastic cover on hand in case of rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry t View Post
    the black switch panel, 2 push pins, lift up has 2 dummy plugs with large connectors attached, wire connector next to black wire is a keyed 12v source ck with test lite to be sure, I hooked my cb to it no problems

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Garman GPS wireing

Thank you for your advice.

Where is the black switch panel with 2 push pins located. I've looked all over the bike and don't see what you're describing. 2013 ST-S

Spyder Garage

Default switch panel

Thank you for your advice.

Where is the black switch panel with 2 push pins located. I've looked all over the bike and don't see what you're describing. 2013 ST-S
    it is the panel that your park brake switch is in and the heated grip switch is in , lift seat and you will see the 2 push pins holding it in

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Garmen GPS

it is the panel that your park brake switch is in and the heated grip switch is in , lift seat and you will see the 2 push pins holding it in

Got it, thank you very much

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Some help with the GPS

Are you talking about an ST-S We got the panel up and using a test light looked for wires that would go off when the KEY is off. We couldn't find any that would do that. I wouldn't leave the GPS if I'm not with the bike. So leaving the wire hot shouldn't be an issue or is it.

What wire can I splice into and not cause issues down the road. Do I even want to splice into a hot wire, where can I find connectors that I can use without cutting any wires.

As you can see I really don't know what I doing...

Spyder Garage

This web site that shows how to run the wire's to the fuel gauge ( http://www.knarfoh.com/GPS_INSTALL/gps_install.html ), I followed these directions for the TomTom Rider, worked great. The power turns on and of with the key. I read in a post somewhere someone dash mounted theirs and fished the wire up to the warning card on the top of the dash, then when the wire was not needed it could be tucked away in with the warning card out of sight.
    Last edited by rnharriman; 05-04-2014 at 04:02 AM.

2014 RT-S SE6 W/Trailer
    TomTom GPS
    BRP Side Air Deflectors
    BRP Vented Windshield

Spyder Garage

Default wire

Are you talking about an ST-S We got the panel up and using a test light looked for wires that would go off when the KEY is off. We couldn't find any that would do that. I wouldn't leave the GPS if I'm not with the bike. So leaving the wire hot shouldn't be an issue or is it.

What wire can I splice into and not cause issues down the road. Do I even want to splice into a hot wire, where can I find connectors that I can use without cutting any wires.

As you can see I really don't know what I doing...
    when you lift the panel you will see the plug in for park brake and heated grip switch, next to them are 2 large plugs with about 20 wires to them, they are for the air ride and fog lights which you have neither, use a test light turn on key ck which one of these wires powers up, turn off key, wait for shut down to make sure the wire you chose goes off