Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by reverendg View Post
    Actually, it is exclusively your own business, and it is exclusively the business of the insurance company whether or not they want to offer you coverage. At least it should be. Members of the "pool" have every right to look elsewhere for coverage if they disagree. See how easy that works? Since when is not wearing something a "privilege"? It may not be the brightest idea, but it is your decision.
    In actuality choices are far more limited.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    In actuality choices are far more limited.
    Not really. There may be legal complications, but anybody can make their own decisions. I wear my helmet because I think it is a good idea, not as a favor to anyone else.

Try as hard as you like, you can't make everyone else play by your rules. Even God gave people the ability to make their own choices, and you certainly don't trump Him.
    2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metallic, Web Boards in Black Line-X Closed pattern, Bajaron sway bar and links, Spyderpop's Bump Skid, GloRyder remote controlled lights, show chrome rear rack, cargo nets in the all three rear bags, more to come........

Spyder Garage

Not really. There may be legal complications, but anybody can make their own decisions. I wear my helmet because I think it is a good idea, not as a favor to anyone else.

Try as hard as you like, you can't make everyone else play by your rules. Even God gave people the ability to make their own choices, and you certainly don't trump Him.
    choice of medicare insurance company--only one US Govt
    choice of Medicaid--ditto
    Work for a big company?--ditto
    ACA Compliant--all are forced to cover
    on and on

...so explain to me how your arguments regarding God, assist with the issue being discussed? Appeals to theology, religion or politics does nothing to solve the problem of people pursuing extremely high risk behavior and expecting others to pay the bills. Nor do such poorly constructed arguments create freedom to avoid the costs created by those selfish people.
    Last edited by Dan_Ashley; 04-01-2014 at 09:05 PM.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

I'm not going to argue choices. But what torques me off is when another rider criticizes MY choice to ride with gear because I'm not confident in my riding skills (after riding bikes for over 30 years).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually; we shouldn't be any more torqued-off; than a helmetless rider gets, when we call them selfish morons...
    (Or something at least along those lines...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Actually; we shouldn't be any more torqued-off; than a helmetless rider gets, when we call them selfish morons...
    (Or something at least along those lines...)
    My biggest concern is that the young and impressionable will be affected by the devil-May-care attitude and then hurt themselves--all caused by a self-centered person's selfish actions.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

choice of medicare insurance company--only one US Govt
    choice of Medicaid--ditto
    Work for a big company?--ditto
    ACA Compliant--all are forced to cover
    on and on

...so explain to me how your arguments regarding God, assist with the issue being discussed? Appeals to theology, religion or politics does nothing to solve the problem of people pursuing extremely high risk behavior and expecting others to pay the bills. Nor do such poorly constructed arguments create freedom to avoid the costs created by those selfish people.
    Your appeals to logic are false. The issue is not one of making anyone pay, the issue is you don't get to dictate my behavior. You can try, but good luck with that.
    Choice of wearing a helmet or not....mine. Go ahead make me. My insurer, employer, government, even God, cannot make it happen.
    Your argument is the poorly constructed one, you just are so caught up in trying to force people to do things your way, that you can't see how foolish you are.
    There was no appeal to religion, just the reality that you missed, that you cannot play God, you are way under qualified.

I am sorry if that feeling of being powerless over others is really grinding away at you. Get used to it.
    2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metallic, Web Boards in Black Line-X Closed pattern, Bajaron sway bar and links, Spyderpop's Bump Skid, GloRyder remote controlled lights, show chrome rear rack, cargo nets in the all three rear bags, more to come........

Spyder Garage

Your appeals to logic are false. The issue is not one of making anyone pay, the issue is you don't get to dictate my behavior. You can try, but good luck with that.
    Choice of wearing a helmet or not....mine. Go ahead make me. My insurer, employer, government, even God, cannot make it happen.
    Your argument is the poorly constructed one, you just are so caught up in trying to force people to do things your way, that you can't see how foolish you are.
    There was no appeal to religion, just the reality that you missed, that you cannot play God, you are way under qualified.

I am sorry if that feeling of being powerless over others is really grinding away at you. Get used to it.
    Your are now permanently on my ignore list.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So Rev,
    You seem to be saying to not tellyou what you can and cannot do...
    I agree with that sentiment!
    But then; if your World goes "Pear-Shaped"; you don't mind letting others pay for your choice?

Spyder Garage

In states that allow riding without a helmet, it's choice. Everyday we are faced with choices, it's up to us to decide what we want to do. We make the decisions, we face the consequences. Our state requires helmets. South Carolina doesn't. But when I'm in South Carolina, I still wear a helmet because it's my choice. I don't always wear a riding jacket and riding pants because it's my choice. I wear a 3/4 or half helmet or modular because it's my ​choice.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

My biggest concern is that the young and impressionable will be affected by the devil-May-care attitude and then hurt themselves--all caused by a self-centered person's selfish actions.

Isn't it awfully selfish of you to be concerned with how much it could cost you if he gets hurt? Pot, meet kettle.

Spyder Garage

Your are now permanently on my ignore list.
    I take that as a compliment. How selfish of you to think the world revolves around you.

Spyder Garage

So Rev,
    You seem to be saying to not tellyou what you can and cannot do...
    I agree with that sentiment!
    But then; if your World goes "Pear-Shaped"; you don't mind letting others pay for your choice?
    Now you are putting words into my mouth.
    I wear a helmet. But it is my choice. Even if I didn't, it is not me that is making anyone else pay for that choice. Look to the liberal government and supporters thereof. They want to take care of everyone, but then they want to tell everyone how to live, since they have to pay for your care. Screw that.
    Such adherents take it beyond selfishness, they want to control others. Screw them.
    Last edited by reverendg; 04-02-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    I personally think every state legislature should pass a law that says 2 things. 1. You are not required to wear a helmet. 2. If you are injured in a motorcycle accident while not wearing a helmet, all insurance companies are exempt from paying the first $50,000 of your medical costs or life insurance benefit. You or your family will be responsible for that first $50,000.

Sorry, crazy, but it really is not exclusively your business. If you are injured in an accident you probably expect an insurance policy to cover your medical costs. But, insurance payouts come from a pool contributed to by all the policy holders. If your injuries are exacerbated by not wearing a helmet, what right do you have to ask the members of the pool to pay the resultant medical costs associated with that choice? Now, if the insurance company were to charge you double or triple premium rate for not wearing a helmet, then no problem. Personal rights that give you the privilege to ride without a helmet should have attached to them the personal responsibility of paying for that choice.
    I disagree very much. It is time for the goverment to stay out of everybody affairs. If you do like something, go/buy somplace else. Yes, I am very set on things like this. I ATTAAt my self, but if you want to do something else, fine. Every one of these " wonderful control your life laws" by the goverment or anybody else has bad things attached. State Farm had a ban on "Sport bikes" a few years ago. One of the sport bikes was a 250 cc street bike. Ruger insurance said, if you rode a motorcycle, you would not be covered in a crash, even if the other person was at fault, but did not have insurance. HD was in trouble over money, so the goverment passed a huge tarriff on imported motorcycles, almost a 40 % tax. Some states (CA?) & the feds want to pass a law stating the muffler and exhaust system must have a a visible EPA mark on them or a thousand dollar fine. Lookat the seat belt/airbag warning sticker, er, screen printed on label in your car. The goverment required a label stating this. The "Big Brother" decided that, since people were removing the labels after buy and having a vehicle for a while, removed them. "Painted on now.
    Okay, I will quit, if I have not been kicked off already. Sorry LaMonster
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

So...
    Where's all of the folks, who have augered-in without a helmet? We haven't heard from them yet!

Oh...
    Boy you sure know how to get a post moving along Bob!!!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Careful next you will have to wear a helmet and full gear in your car, people still get ejected from there cars and a helmet would probably save them, o and a fire suit just in case it catches fire LOL, make your own choice or let the government make all your choices. just saying
    Ram mount on both upper air deflectors custom ram mount for ATC9k action cam
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    Dual Color MagicFLEX® Channelz finder lights
    TIPZ units
    CAN AM SPYDER RT RADIATOR UPPER BLOCK OFF PLATE
    CAN AM SPYDER RT RADIATOR LOWER BLOCK OFF PLATE
    CATALYTIC CONVERTER SHIELD
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    When my cousin had his accident 10 years ago. He got a catastrophic brain impairment and his medical bills and his rehabilitation cost around $1.5 million. Also, now he can't work and if it wasn't for his insurance they would probably be on welfare.
    Every insured people help the insurance company to pay the cost.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
    Boy you sure know how to get a post moving along Bob!!!
    We wouldn't want things getting boring around here; would we??

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We wouldn't want things getting boring around here; would we??
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    I disagree very much. It is time for the goverment to stay out of everybody affairs. If you do like something, go/buy somplace else. Yes, I am very set on things like this. I ATTAAt my self, but if you want to do something else, fine. Every one of these " wonderful control your life laws" by the goverment or anybody else has bad things attached. State Farm had a ban on "Sport bikes" a few years ago. One of the sport bikes was a 250 cc street bike. Ruger insurance said, if you rode a motorcycle, you would not be covered in a crash, even if the other person was at fault, but did not have insurance. HD was in trouble over money, so the goverment passed a huge tarriff on imported motorcycles, almost a 40 % tax. Some states (CA?) & the feds want to pass a law stating the muffler and exhaust system must have a a visible EPA mark on them or a thousand dollar fine. Lookat the seat belt/airbag warning sticker, er, screen printed on label in your car. The goverment required a label stating this. The "Big Brother" decided that, since people were removing the labels after buy and having a vehicle for a while, removed them. "Painted on now.
    Okay, I will quit, if I have not been kicked off already. Sorry LaMonster
    I agree with you 100%. I just don't want to pay for people making problems for themselves. If the are willing to pay for the results of their own behavior, then I hope the enjoy themselves. This goes for Sky diving, motorcycling without gear, using drugs, smoking....just don't want them to include me in asking for money or expecting me to pay. The way I wish to spend my money should not be up to others--whether they be risk takers or government bureaucrats.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    When my cousin had his accident 10 years ago. He got a catastrophic brain impairment and his medical bills and his rehabilitation cost around $1.5 million. Also, now he can't work and if it wasn't for his insurance they would probably be on welfare.
    Likewise, my younger brother and his maiden voyage on a new HD in Minneapolis. Fifteen years ago. It started with a Life Flight ride, and he has not worked since.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-02-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I saw a Hells Angel in full regalia yesterday on his HD. Not wearing a helmet.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I dont get it... if you like your coffee black I am not gonna try to convince you otherwise. I like to have my freedom of choice for as long as I can have it.....SHEEP among
    wolves with out it. furthermore as a taxpayer in a high bracket I can thick of many things I am paying thru the nose in taxes that I would not want to pay.
    so a person involved in an accident and having to pay for some or all of their medical is the least of my worry. so much gov. waste dont even know where to start!
    '' RIDE -WINE - DINE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST DAY- SO MAKE IT COUNT DAILY''
    2013 ram 1500 RT HEMI 405 Hp
    2012 spyder RT + cat-bypass, mod muffler, PCV + auto tune, HID headlight n foggers, seal floorboards, LED's every where, supercharged ..not!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PCBeachBum View Post
    I was 12 years old and started wearing a Bell helmet when riding with my brother who also wore a helmet. The way my brother put it was you have just one head and brain and wearing a helmet can save your life. My brother had an accident with a bicyclist, who cut in front of him and the helmet saved his life. When I started riding on my own, I always wore a helmet and still do today. I see many with helmets attached to their bikes and wonder if they made it home safely.

Those older Bell Helmets were sure heavy compared to the helmets of today. I had one that was "circuit or Caterpillar yellow" Brightest one in Daytona Beach in the early sixties ....nl

Spyder Garage

While reading thru all again tonght. I get the feeling that a some people want other people who engage in a "high risk" activity to pay all their own medical bills if they are hurt. The question becomes, who decides what is "high risk' for others.

I will sugest a few "high risk" , Baseball has lot of injuries, the same with Football, riding a pedal bike, driving a car has people getting hurt or killed.

Before I retired from the USAF, my commander was "ranting" ( at commanders acall)about all the injuries received by the Sq members. then looked at me and another SGt and said, I do not want to hear anything from you two. He apoligized a few minutes later to everybody. He said, higher ups are all over me about the number of hurt pople (instructors at a tech school), but most of these injuries are from baseball, running, sking and even just falling down. SMSGT Lindsey is A avid dirt rider/racer. TSGT (and I can not remember his name right now) is a bull rider contesten at Redeos
    So what is "high risk"?
    Oldmanzues
    Last edited by Oldmanzues; 04-02-2014 at 08:51 PM. Reason: added commanders call
    Very Happy Spyder Owner