Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet - No comment needed.

KTVB.COM

Posted on March 31, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Updated today at 3:28 PM

BOISE -- A motorcyclist suffered what appears to be life-threatening injuries after colliding with a sport utility vehicle....

Police say the motorcyclist was not wearing a helmet, although there was one strapped to the back of his bike.
    overland+motorcycle+crash+5.JPG overland+motorcycle+crash+3.JPG
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I was 12 years old and started wearing a Bell helmet when riding with my brother who also wore a helmet. The way my brother put it was you have just one head and brain and wearing a helmet can save your life. My brother had an accident with a bicyclist, who cut in front of him and the helmet saved his life. When I started riding on my own, I always wore a helmet and still do today. I see many with helmets attached to their bikes and wonder if they made it home safely.
    Happy Spyder Owner

2008 SM5, Trunk Liner, 2" Block Riser, ESI 3" Risers, Evoluzione Cycle o2 Sensor Mod, Corbin Seat and Large Oval Backrest, Madstad RoboBrackets and 24" Clear Windshield, Chrome Clear Catseye LED Tail/Brake/License Plate Light, Brake Strobe, Kuryakyn Grips, Kewlmetals Performance Air kit, Custom Dynamic Orange LED's, Spyder 1 Attitude Performance Exhaust RSS-18-B, Day Runners, Day Pucks, Rivco Highway Pegs, ESI Mirror Extensions, Rivco Floorboards.

Spyder Garage

Apparently, he was more concerned with protecting the back of his bike, than his head . . . always sad to see this sort of thing . . . so many youngsters think they are invulnerable . . . and then, as it always does, happens.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I have a name for folks who don't wear helmets: "Organ Donors".
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

... And we're off to the races!
    Let's see where this this thread goes...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Saw a guy riding his dresser yesterday (partly sunny and around 60 F) wearing a ski mask & no helmet. All I have to do is think of the bird strike I took in the R eye area of my face shield in Aug of '12 and look at the divot in the shield where it intercepted a thrown stone (not much larger than BB size, I'd guess) to remind me why a helmet is ALWAYS a good idea. I have ridden around town a couple times with just goggles; but never went over 35mph. 'Bout as much helmetless freedom as I care for!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I tried a short short run to the filling station in Springfield Ohio last May; while lidless...
    I didn't care for it!

Spyder Garage

Default Helmet - No comment needed.

Last edited by Wiredux; 04-01-2014 at 11:01 AM.

Spyder Garage

I was riding a Honda 50 scooter about 20 years ago. I went down. Dislocated my shoulder, cracked two ribs. When I took off the helmet, I pushed my fingers through the helmet. It saved me. I am sooooo glad I wore a helmet. I hope that I never need the protection of a helmet again, but I always wear it.

that was a 50 cc scooter, and I was going only about 25 miles an hour.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

I had my only motorcycle accident about 27 years ago. I guy in a car pulled out on to the road in front of me and I hit his front fender and flew over the car. I landed on my back and I can still remember hearing the loud crack as my helmet hit the road. I got up and the only damage to me was a spranged ankle. I would have definitely been killed if I didn't have a helmet on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So...
    Where's all of the folks, who have augered-in without a helmet? We haven't heard from them yet!

Oh...

Spyder Garage

ATGATT--even when it is not comfortable. You never know when the helmet, etc. is going to come in handy.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The ONE thing that's worse than wearing it; is NOT having it, when you need it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The ONE thing that's worse than wearing it; is NOT having it, when you need it!
    So true.... It would be nice if you could plan on which day you'll crash.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    I had my only motorcycle accident about 27 years ago. I guy in a car pulled out on to the road in front of me and I hit his front fender and flew over the car. I landed on my back and I can still remember hearing the loud crack as my helmet hit the road. I got up and the only damage to me was a spranged ankle. I would have definitely been killed if I didn't have a helmet on.

I had a similar occurrence on a moped when I was 15. Of course, I had no helmet. The docs were amazed that I made it through as well as I did. The moped had a plexi windshield on it as well. I was wearing a leather jacket too. I flew through the windshield, over the vehicle (a 70's dodge dart), and my forehead kissed a bumper that was attached to a stationary van.

Needless to say, I was late home for dinner that night. 35 years later, I still have a scar on my forehead and up into my hairline, where 110 stitches fixed the gaping slash in my forehead. It could have been much worse, and
    it is the hard way to learn a lesson.
    2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metallic, Web Boards in Black Line-X Closed pattern, Bajaron sway bar and links, Spyderpop's Bump Skid, GloRyder remote controlled lights, show chrome rear rack, cargo nets in the all three rear bags, more to come........

Spyder Garage

Default ok I'LL bite

Bob - I'll chime in.. I don't wear a helmet, never in my 30yrs of riding 2wheels. don't over dress like a knight in protective gear

either. then again its always my choice and my business! ....MAYBE it was that darn wasp that got into my helmet many moons
    ago. still got welps showing on my nose and face. 29 yrs ago!
    '' RIDE -WINE - DINE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST DAY- SO MAKE IT COUNT DAILY''
    2013 ram 1500 RT HEMI 405 Hp
    2012 spyder RT + cat-bypass, mod muffler, PCV + auto tune, HID headlight n foggers, seal floorboards, LED's every where, supercharged ..not!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad to hear that your Guardian Angel, is as fearless as you are!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazyspyder View Post
    Bob - I'll chime in.. I don't wear a helmet, never in my 30yrs of riding 2wheels. don't over dress like a knight in protective gear

either. then again its always my choice and my business! ....MAYBE it was that darn wasp that got into my helmet many moons
    ago. still got welps showing on my nose and face. 29 yrs ago!
    I personally think every state legislature should pass a law that says 2 things. 1. You are not required to wear a helmet. 2. If you are injured in a motorcycle accident while not wearing a helmet, all insurance companies are exempt from paying the first $50,000 of your medical costs or life insurance benefit. You or your family will be responsible for that first $50,000.

Sorry, crazy, but it really is not exclusively your business. If you are injured in an accident you probably expect an insurance policy to cover your medical costs. But, insurance payouts come from a pool contributed to by all the policy holders. If your injuries are exacerbated by not wearing a helmet, what right do you have to ask the members of the pool to pay the resultant medical costs associated with that choice? Now, if the insurance company were to charge you double or triple premium rate for not wearing a helmet, then no problem. Personal rights that give you the privilege to ride without a helmet should have attached to them the personal responsibility of paying for that choice.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default its all good

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm glad to hear that your Guardian Angel, is as fearless as you are!
    I respect every ones opinion here! my boss been naggin on me for years and loves to for showing up to work
    with out one. I just look at life differently! ....I have been looking at some Bluetooth modular helmets though.
    2012 spyder RT + cat-bypass, mod muffler, PCV + auto tune, HID headlight n foggers, seal floorboards, LED's every where, supercharged ..not!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    I personally think every state legislature should pass a law that says 2 things. 1. You are not required to wear a helmet. 2. If you are injured in a motorcycle accident while not wearing a helmet, all insurance companies are exempt from paying the first $50,000 of your medical costs or life insurance benefit. You or your family will be responsible for that first $50,000.

Sorry, crazy, but it really is not exclusively your business. If you are injured in an accident you probably expect an insurance policy to cover your medical costs. But, insurance payouts come from a pool contributed to by all the policy holders. If your injuries are exacerbated by not wearing a helmet, what right do you have to ask the members of the pool to pay the resultant medical costs associated with that choice? Now, if the insurance company were to charge you double or triple premium rate for not wearing a helmet, then no problem. Personal rights that give you the privilege to ride without a helmet should have attached to them the personal responsibility of paying for that choice.
    Actually, it is exclusively your own business, and it is exclusively the business of the insurance company whether or not they want to offer you coverage. At least it should be. Members of the "pool" have every right to look elsewhere for coverage if they disagree. See how easy that works? Since when is not wearing something a "privilege"? It may not be the brightest idea, but it is your decision.
    2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metallic, Web Boards in Black Line-X Closed pattern, Bajaron sway bar and links, Spyderpop's Bump Skid, GloRyder remote controlled lights, show chrome rear rack, cargo nets in the all three rear bags, more to come........

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazyspyder View Post
    I respect every ones opinion here! my boss been naggin on me for years and loves to for showing up to work
    with out one. I just look at life differently! ....I have been looking at some Bluetooth modular helmets though.
    looking is the first step! buying the second, and then changing your handle to smartspyder is third! just kidding bro. everyone has to make the decision for themselves. it's simply no one else's business!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But it is... in that the pooled costs of heathcare coverage; DOES affect everybody...
    not preachin'...
    ...just sayin'...

Spyder Garage

Default what

Here in my state of Texas , you have to have proof of medical coverage to be exempt from NOT wearing one. my company has me
    for 250k medical and have twice that on life insurance, so NO I will not need the taxpayers to wipe my .. IF that ever happens...I know
    I have that covered. BTW I don't mind at all having a descent conversation on the subject . I have thick skin and a good natured guy!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Spyder Garage

When my cousin had his accident 10 years ago. He got a catastrophic brain impairment and his medical bills and his rehabilitation cost around $1.5 million. Also, now he can't work and if it wasn't for his insurance they would probably be on welfare.
    Last edited by bscrive; 04-01-2014 at 07:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post

I agree 100%. I don't care if someone wears a helmet. I DO care if someone does not wear a helmet then expects me to pay for his resultant medical care--either through higher premiums or allocation of tax monies. I think people who expect that are selfish.

My thoughts are not limited to the $50,000 exclusion you propose though.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe