Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

If you still want to chase it, looking on BUDS may reveal the code history. The bad gas theory sounds plausible, although it could have also been another type of glitch.

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Red face Stil want to - and will

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    If you still want to chase it, looking on BUDS may reveal the code history. The bad gas theory sounds plausible, although it could have also been another type of glitch.
    It's in my DNA.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Having coffee and one of my buds came by. We were discussing the incident and he said bad fuel. I said, but it happned the moment it was cranked. Meaning, a fresh load of fuel should not have caused a problem on start up. As compared to a few minutes later. It would have needed time to suck some of the new suff in. Right? Then, it made sense. Maybe? Perhaps the previous tank full was contaminated, and, since it was being consumed -by the spyder being in perpetual motion since the previous fill up - all was OK. But, once I had stopped, and the fuel level from the previous fill up was low enough -if contaminated- it allowed the pump to get a big gulp of bad stuff as soon as it was cranked. Thus, causing the check engine warning.

Anyway.....sounds very logical...actually quite possible. Considering no codes and the problem going away.

This is me. Thinking out loud and sharing without fear of intimidation.

If, the above is true. It truly was worth sharing.

Never, but never.....say die.
    When checking plane fuel for contamination, we use a drip-cup to extract fuel from the bottom of the tank. If there is water in the fuel, it will show-up at the bottom of the tank -- therefore it will be in our drip-cup.

So, it makes sense the fuel could have been contaminated given your progression of events.

Will be interesting to see if you have any other problems... Hopefully never again.

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    See your dealer
    Roger that ......Roger

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you made it home fine!
    I saw the rain over the mountains and thought about you guys riding back today. I hear some got quite a bit of rain coming over the tejon pass. I take it you went through Joshua tree?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Glad to hear you made it home fine!
    I saw the rain over the mountains and thought about you guys riding back today. I hear some got quite a bit of rain coming over the tejon pass. I take it you went through Joshua tree?

Bob
    East of J tree - 95,62,177, to I10 and home. It got a we bit wet out but like you said, based on weather reports. The folks that went Victorville way most likely got it bad. Bummer!

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Red face Exchanging ideas....it's all good

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    My WAG is "Operator Error"!

There is not a code for Jerbear-operation; Good One

so my guess cannot be discounted yet, since there is not proof I am wrong!

I certainly do hope it isn't something as simple as the brake sensor needing attention. Not sure how many miles on your machine, but if it is dirty, worn-out, or has developed some sort of slack causing it to send a signal of the brake being applied... it could cause this.

Good point.

I watch for such things when night riding on rough roads. A bouncing brake pedal that results in illumination of the brake light is easily seen in the mirrors when night riding.

Remember... we are in WAG-mode here... since you said it was okay to do. I just thought I would lob-out a couple WAGs while the time passes.

You are welcome to WAG away here.

All in all, I seriously hope you get this figured-out so you can get on your way and enjoy the ride... Good luck to you!
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Jerry,

Glad to hear you made it back. I received your order this morning when I woke up and your Air Filter Kit will ship out today!

JT

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Default Can' wait

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    Jerry,

Glad to hear you made it back. I received your order this morning when I woke up and your Air Filter Kit will ship out today!

JT
    Thanks for the made it back. I'm looking forward to removing all the plastic under the hood. Tho a battle it may be I'm conviced it'll be worth every swear word

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Red face Finishing a thought

Having coffee and one of my buds cameitby. We were discussing the incident and he said bad fuel. I said, but it happned the moment it was cranked. Meaning, a fresh load of fuel should not have caused a problem on start up. As compared to a few minutes later. It would have needed time to suck some of the new suff in. Right? Then, it made sense. Maybe? Perhaps the previous tank full was contaminated, and, since it was being consumed -by the spyder being in perpetual motion since the previous fill up - all was OK. But, once I had stopped, and the fuel level from the previous fill up was low enough -if contaminated- it allowed the pump to get a big gulp of bad stuff as soon as it was cranked. Thus, causing the check engine warning.

Anyway.....sounds very logical...actually quite possible. Considering no codes and the problem going away.

Something I left out.

The spyder recognized a fault on start up. In this instance I chose to ride 21 miles with a known fault condition( no codes - but check engine warning). If, it was a bad fuel condition and it cleared while riding that distance. The spyders software would not know it had cleared....until the spyder did a new systems check on restart. Which is exactally what happened.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the made it back. I'm looking forward to removing all the plastic under the hood. Tho a battle it may be I'm conviced it'll be worth every swear word
    So when is the wrenching party?
    I will come help/participate if you like!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Red face Thanks for the offer

Bob

PM sent

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

I don't think so. No bowls on injectors... the only fuel remaining in the system is what is in the lines.

Having coffee and one of my buds came by. We were discussing the incident and he said bad fuel. I said, but it happned the moment it was cranked. Meaning, a fresh load of fuel should not have caused a problem on start up. As compared to a few minutes later. It would have needed time to suck some of the new suff in. Right? Then, it made sense. Maybe? Perhaps the previous tank full was contaminated, and, since it was being consumed -by the spyder being in perpetual motion since the previous fill up - all was OK. But, once I had stopped, and the fuel level from the previous fill up was low enough -if contaminated- it allowed the pump to get a big gulp of bad stuff as soon as it was cranked. Thus, causing the check engine warning.

Spyder Garage

Bob
    PM sent
    Did I hear the word party?, so after reading this whole thread it appears it's not the TB, (thought you were referring to me), but maybe bad gas. I had that happen to me when I was up in Hollister at Corbin. So embarrassing not knowing what was happening, and that I might get stuck, but after I got through that tank, there were no more issues. My symptoms were erratic idle behavior, that I posted in this thread http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-idle-behavior

Hope everything rides well for you here on out

TB aka TicketBait

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Red face All is well....for now

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Did I hear the word party?, so after reading this whole thread it appears it's not the TB, (thought you were referring to me), but maybe bad gas. I had that happen to me when I was up in Hollister at Corbin. So embarrassing not knowing what was happening, and that I might get stuck, but after I got through that tank, there were no more issues. My symptoms were erratic idle behavior, that I posted in this thread http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-idle-behavior

Hope everything rides well for you here on out

TB aka TicketBait
    Other TB...

Sounds similar that's for sure. Just stocked up on ◇Gas-X◇ 'formulated especially for spyders'