Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Going to try to Clone a Key

Ordered one of these and will see if it clones with my '14 key as it did with my previous '11. For $7.65 +5.85 shipping, thought it worth trying.

http://www.lockpicks.com/motorcycle-clone-keys.aspx
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck!
    I'm trying a different approach; http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/apriliachipkey.html
    let's see how we make out with this!
    Let us know what happens!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Keep us posted

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Good Luck!
    I'm trying a different approach; http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/apriliachipkey.html
    let's see how we make out with this!
    Let us know what happens!
    Dealer told me yesterday the only option they had was a chipped version for $48. NOT HAPPENING!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you tell him that you just want to copy a key; not buy stock in the dealership??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michiganspyderman View Post
    Dealer told me yesterday the only option they had was a chipped version for $48. NOT HAPPENING!
    If the '14 key is actually different, he may not be that far off. Blank transponder BRP keys for Pre-'14 are around $35, then cutting fee by locksmith, then another $35 for tech to clone it with Buds.

For our earlier bikes, some of us bought the blanks for $13-20 and local hardware cut and cloned for $3-5. Hoping it works for my '14, but won't know till early next week when the blank gets here.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Keeping 'em crossed for you!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    If the '14 key is actually different, he may not be that far off. Blank transponder BRP keys for Pre-'14 are around $35, then cutting fee by locksmith, then another $35 for tech to clone it with Buds.

For our earlier bikes, some of us bought the blanks for $13-20 and local hardware cut and cloned for $3-5. Hoping it works for my '14, but won't know till early next week when the blank gets here.
    There is enough confusion already. BUDS does not clone keys.
    Cloning is making a copy of an existing key including making it transmit the same transponder code. The vehicle is not involved in cloning a key.
    When you buy a BRP blank it already transmits it's own unique unchangeable transponder code. With BUDS on the 2014s you program the Spyder to accept the code that this new key transmits as good to go.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by White Lightening View Post
    This is the same link I used to order the blanks I have. Do not use this link, turns out it is the wrong blank in the first place. The link is supposed to take you to the blank ZD23RT5 which according to another web site is the correct blank. In fact if you look at the title that is where it says it will take you, but in fact the key shown is ZA-9.P
    I ordered two of these thinking I was getting the 23RT5 and got the ZA-9.P instead. The ZD23RT5 is a much more expensive blank. Below is a copy of the web page, note the title has the correct blank number but in smaller print below it actually is ordering the ZA-9.P:

"Aprilia Scotters Transponder Key RW (ZD23RT5) JMA

KB-TP05ZA-9.P

Your Price: $7.65
    In Stock
    Item Number: KB-TP05ZA-9.P
    Quantity:
    Email this page to a friend"

Below is a link to the other web site that shows the correct blank
    http://mysecuritypro.com/ApriliaMala...KeyBlanks.aspx
    Note the considerably higher price for this blank.

I went ahead and had one of the ZA-9.P cut to see if it would open the trunk, It Will Not, so do not waste your money.

So still don't know whether the ZD23RT5 is the correct blank for the 14 or not. But given the price of the blanks I might just get another spare from BRP
    You are talking about 2 different part numbers for the same key blanks because they are from 2 different manufacturers. (Ilco and JMA) Many folks have used blanks from both manufacturers with good results for 2013 models and prior. It appears that the key has changed for 2014 models and this cloneable key blank will no longer work.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Time will tell... and soon!

Spyder Garage

I understand that JMA might have a different part number from Ilco or Silca but the JMA ZA-9.P does not appear to be the equivalent of the ZD23RT5 according to the mysecuritypros website. It is equivalent to these,

"This key blank is made by Silca.
    Various key blank manufacturers may call this key by a different part number.
    Some examples are:
    Ilco ZD24RDP-SI
    JMA ZA-9-P1, ZA9P1
    Silca ZD24RDP
    Aprilia 1P
    Derbi 1P
    Honda 15P
    KTM 1P
    Moto Guzzi 1P
    Piaggio 1P
    Triumph 1P"

That same website does not show any JMA equivalent for the ZD23RT5 ( though I would agree that does not mean JMA does not make one it just does not appear to be the ZA-9.P)

"Manufacturer Info

This key blank is made by Silca.
    Various key blank manufacturers may call this key by a different part number.
    Some examples are:
    Ilco ZD23RT5-SI
    Silca ZD23RT5
    Aprilia Chip
    Can-Am Chip"

I am inclined to agree though that the 14 has changed.

That website is steering you wrong. I have a Silca ZD24RDP it does not have a T5 transponder chip in it. It does have the same blade profile.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is the same link I used to order the blanks I have. Do not use this link, turns out it is the wrong blank in the first place. The link is supposed to take you to the blank ZD23RT5 which according to another web site is the correct blank. In fact if you look at the title that is where it says it will take you, but in fact the key shown is ZA-9.P
    I ordered two of these thinking I was getting the 23RT5 and got the ZA-9.P instead. The ZD23RT5 is a much more expensive blank. Below is a copy of the web page, note the title has the correct blank number but in smaller print below it actually is ordering the ZA-9.P:

"Aprilia Scotters Transponder Key RW (ZD23RT5) JMA

KB-TP05ZA-9.P

Your Price: $7.65
    In Stock
    Item Number: KB-TP05ZA-9.P
    Quantity:
    Email this page to a friend"

Below is a link to the other web site that shows the correct blank
    http://mysecuritypro.com/ApriliaMala...KeyBlanks.aspx
    Note the considerably higher price for this blank.

I went ahead and had one of the ZA-9.P cut to see if it would open the trunk, It Will Not, so do not waste your money.

So still don't know whether the ZD23RT5 is the correct blank for the 14 or not. But given the price of the blanks I might just get another spare from BRP
    The KB-TP05ZA-9.P is what I ordered 2 of. They work almost just fine in my 2013 RT. The cutting isn't as clean as it should be but they turn all the locks. They cloned just fine and work perfectly for starting the bike. As has been mentioned before, there is a good chance they will not work for the 2014 due to chip differences. I understand the grooves are still the same. The number differences you note above are just differences in the catalog numbers used by different key manufacturers. E.g., Ilco numbers aren't the same as Axxess numbers, but the keys are interchangeable.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    There is enough confusion already. BUDS does not clone keys.
    Cloning is making a copy of an existing key including making it transmit the same transponder code. The vehicle is not involved in cloning a key.
    When you buy a BRP blank it already transmits it's own unique unchangeable transponder code. With BUDS on the 2014s you program the Spyder to accept the code that this new key transmits as good to go.
    I'm inclined to think what BRP has done is move the computer code to start the key programming process, maybe even the entire programming code, from the DESS module on the bike to the BUDS. This still would not prevent using a cloned key. The key (pun intended!) is to find an alternate chip key with a compatible chip and the same profile as the BRP key. As I mentioned earlier, part numbers for all three, the ignition key module, the DESS, and the key, have all changed for 2014. This also probably means that any service tech with a BUDS program that has not been updated for the 2014 models won't be able to program a key on a 2014 bike.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    The KB-TP05ZA-9.P is what I ordered 2 of. They work almost just fine in my 2013 RT. The cutting isn't as clean as it should be but they turn all the locks. They cloned just fine and work perfectly for starting the bike. As has been mentioned before, there is a good chance they will not work for the 2014 due to chip differences. I understand the grooves are still the same. The number differences you note above are just differences in the catalog numbers used by different key manufacturers. E.g., Ilco numbers aren't the same as Axxess numbers, but the keys are interchangeable.
    You said earlier that the one you had cut did not work on the '14 trunk. Any idea why? Are the groves diff, or perhaps just a bad cut?

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Could be a bad cut but looking closely at the grooves the ZA-9.P they do not look to be quite as long as the BRP key. Just went and measured the grooves as close as I can with a tape measure. The clone key ZA-9.P groves are between 1/16 - 2/16 shorter than the BRP measured from the start of the groves to the end of the keys. Also the clone key has a single dimple on the outside of the blade starting at the grove. The BRP has 2 dimples on both sides of the key 2/16ths above the groves.

So it does look like the 14 is a different key?
    Sure sounds like the 14 is diff. Maybe one of the aftermarkets will come up with one that does work.

Meanwhile, after I get the one I ordered, I can peddle it to a pre-14 owner, probably someone local, and I can get it cloned for them.

Perhaps Bob will have more luck with his, but that sounds doubtful also.

Thanks much for the feedback.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you feel as if you're waiting for the train wreck to occur? train wreck.jpg

Spyder Garage

Do you feel as if you're waiting for the train wreck to occur? train wreck.jpg
    A toy train perhaps?

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As far as non-problems go; don't we wish, that they were all like this?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    I'm inclined to think what BRP has done is move the computer code to start the key programming process, maybe even the entire programming code, from the DESS module on the bike to the BUDS. This still would not prevent using a cloned key. The key (pun intended!) is to find an alternate chip key with a compatible chip and the same profile as the BRP key. As I mentioned earlier, part numbers for all three, the ignition key module, the DESS, and the key, have all changed for 2014. This also probably means that any service tech with a BUDS program that has not been updated for the 2014 models won't be able to program a key on a 2014 bike.
    You are likely right. But BRP will often not take the logical path and so we won't be sure until all the facts are in. In my opinion the master key system was just dumb. A while back I came across across someone on the internet selling cloned master keys and BRP will sell master keys to anybody so what's the point of the master key. I think BRP should allow in their system for the owner to program more more keys on their own without the dealer as long as they have 2 working keys. This is done by some of the automakers.

In theory a key can be cloned for any vehicle, but is there a cloneable blank available. We won't know if there is blank for the 2014s until we know what chip they are using. So I am waiting for our SL guinea pig to tell us what he finds out with the key he sent to Hawaii. What chip is it? Better yet, what blank will work?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    ... BRP will sell master keys to anybody...
    There is an advantage to the Master Key system for owners. If you can come up with a reasonably priced CanAm blank anyone with a Master Key could program it to your byke as long as you didn't go over 4 keys. With the 2014 using BUDS you will now have to have someone with the system to program the keys. Big difference in price between a Master Key and BUDS.

Note: I am not addressing the cloning process as it is entirely different.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Could be a bad cut but looking closely at the grooves the ZA-9.P they do not look to be quite as long as the BRP key. Just went and measured the grooves as close as I can with a tape measure. The clone key ZA-9.P groves are between 1/16 - 2/16 shorter than the BRP measured from the start of the groves to the end of the keys. Also the clone key has a single dimple on the outside of the blade starting at the grove. The BRP has 2 dimples on both sides of the key 2/16ths above the groves.

So it does look like the 14 is a different key?

My ZA.9.P works as a key to open trunk and frunk on my 2014 RT-S, not sure if it will clone yet because i can't find anyone to clone it

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    There is an advantage to the Master Key system for owners. If you can come up with a reasonably priced CanAm blank anyone with a Master Key could program it to your byke as long as you didn't go over 4 keys. With the 2014 using BUDS you will now have to have someone with the system to program the keys. Big difference in price between a Master Key and BUDS.

Note: I am not addressing the cloning process as it is entirely different.
    It would be even better like I said if the owner could add or delete keys without the dealer or a master key. That would be even cheaper and there would be no need for clones at all.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Shot down in flames...
    But with a full refund!
    They changed the key, and you need some sort of advanced cloning hardware to crack the new chip...

Spyder Garage

...Shot down in flames...
    But with a full refund!
    They changed the key, and you need some sort of advanced cloning hardware to crack the new chip...
    That figures. Can anyone talk to their dealer about a group buy for a BRP key? My dealer is nuts! They want $47 for the damn thing. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    That figures. Can anyone talk to their dealer about a group buy for a BRP key? My dealer is nuts! They want $47 for the damn thing. Tom
    That's really not out of line. A local True Value charges $75 for a car transponder key! About 15 years ago my brother paid $100 for a Cadillac key!

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

2001 Lexus LX470. New key $350. Count your blessings. I got 4 keys cut for $15 each, but the remote on them won't work to open the doors. BFD. Only my master key will work from afar.
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey