Spyder Garage

Red face PCV & How the AutoTuner Works

You may or may not find this worth your time and it may or may not answer questions you have. That said, I thought it was worth passing along.

http://www.hunterworks.com/pc_v_auto_tuner_explained

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    You may or may not find this worth your time and it may or may not answer questions you have. That said, I thought it was worth passing along.

http://www.hunterworks.com/pc_v_auto_tuner_explained
    It sounds accurate. The only thing I question is the suggestion to remove the AutoTune after the base map has stabilized. He mentions that he does it so that he can use it on another vehicle. That makes sense, but if you leave it in place after the base map is stable, the AutoTune still provides value because it still makes on the fly adjustments based on changing conditions for temperature, altitude, etc. Thanks for posting.

Spyder Garage

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    It sounds accurate. The only thing I question is the suggestion to remove the AutoTune after the base map has stabilized. He mentions that he does it so that he can use it on another vehicle. That makes sense, but if you leave it in place after the base map is stable, the AutoTune still provides value because it still makes on the fly adjustments based on changing conditions for temperature, altitude, etc. Thanks for posting.
    He did mention removing it after having gone through several cycles of resets, or once corrections suggested became 5% or less.

Spyder Garage

He did mention removing it after having gone through several cycles of resets, or once corrections suggested became 5% or less.
    Yes, his point is totally valid. Since I don't have anybody to share / split the cost with for my AutoTune, then I will just leave it in place and let it constantly adjust for that 5%.

Spyder Garage

My buddy that is a motorcycle mechanic has actually told me the same thing when I first purchased my auto tune. The changes are so minor after many test runs that it wont change anything worth while and will hurt the sensor in the long run.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 5PYD3R View Post
    ... and will hurt the sensor in the long run.
    The article made reference to that as well. Do you know the reasoning behind it? The AutoTune is connected to it's own O2 sensors.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    The article made reference to that as well. Do you know the reasoning behind it? The AutoTune is connected to it's own O2 sensors.
    I guess I dont fully understand it either. From what I understand is that after you get a good map written from the auto tune and and it starts to make very minor changes the sensor is "working" when it doesnt need to anymore. I originally asked my buddy about this because the auto tune come with a big bolt to put in place of the sensor. He told me this is the reason, to plug that hole since the sensor should not be kept in after creating a map.

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Once the trim tables stop developing numbers larger than 1 or 2, the tune is complete and the auto-tuner should be removed or turned off to prevent it from tuning around a developing problem such as a sensor going bad.

http://www.drdyno.com/AIM_2010-09.html
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 03-28-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

It is important to save the setting into a new map each time you make a run otherwise the auto tune has to recreate what was done the last time. Also as pointed out it is limited to a 20% correction to a map, but that is to each map so if your first map required a greater than 20% it will max out at the 20% By saving and running the new map the auto tuner can now make up to a 20% correction to the same table on that map allowing you to acheve the best tune.
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 5PYD3R View Post
    I originally asked my buddy about this because the auto tune come with a big bolt to put in place of the sensor. He told me this is the reason, to plug that hole since the sensor should not be kept in after creating a map.
    It must be different for the RT. For the RT, you have the PCV module which also comes with an O2 Optimizer module that plugs in-line to the stock O2 sensors. The AutoTune, whether it be the AT-200 or AT-300, is the third module and it comes with its own O2 sensor(s) that need to be welded in to the header(s).

Spyder Garage

Once the trim tables stop developing numbers larger than 1 or 2, the tune is complete and the auto-tuner should be removed or turned off to prevent it from tuning around a developing problem such as a sensor going bad.
    The documentation for the RT says to not allow it to compensate more than +/-20% to prevent that exact problem from allowing the AutoTune to disable the bike. I think that the way the RT is wired, it is not meant to be disabled. Also, from spring to fall, the temperature swing I ride in is 25 - 95 degrees. The advantage of keeping it hooked up is to adjust for those differences.

Spyder Garage

Hello spyder lover i have a 09 semi auto pcv and want to add auto tuner but find the space to drill and add second o2 before the fork on two brothers dual and pics or suggestions will be greatly appreciated thank you