Spyder Garage

Default 2014 belt tensioner

I heard someone had to rig an older model belt tensioner to get it to fit the 2014. Is anyone making one that is designed from scratch for the 2014 RT's

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We saw one last weekend but I don't remember what brand it was. This one did not require drilling a hole in the frame it just bolted into an existing hole. That wasn't much help now was it?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Check with Jim at Smoothspyder....let me know through the post if he has one...I may add one as well to my 2014 RT L.....had one on my 2012 RT L and liked it.

He's a sponsor of our forum and you can find how to contact him there on the home page where the sponsors are....good luck!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    We saw one last weekend but I don't remember what brand it was. This one did not require drilling a hole in the frame it just bolted into an existing hole. That wasn't much help now was it?
    Sounds as if you're describing the Baker tensioner. Check their sponsor page.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default reply

Quote Originally Posted by JLSpyder2012 View Post
    Check with Jim at Smoothspyder....let me know through the post if he has one...I may add one as well to my 2014 RT L.....had one on my 2012 RT L and liked it.

He's a sponsor of our forum and you can find how to contact him there on the home page where the sponsors are....good luck!
    Jim said he has one it is just not on the webpage yet. it uses a spacer provided by him and uses an existing hole to attach as spider ann spoke of.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    At least we know there's one available...
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Here is the link to the Baker Built.

http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/2014belt.html
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Do the 2014s need the after market belt tensioner?

Armed with lots of info from this elite forum, I spoke to my dealer's lead tech last night when picking up my Spyder and I specifically asked if the 2014s needed an after market belt tensioner and he said no. He said he had a special tool to measure the tension and he said you pluck the belt like the string on a guitar and it should vibrate a certain frequency when it was correct. He said if it is set right, you won't get the harmonic effects others have reported.

Was he correct?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
    Armed with lots of info from this elite forum, I spoke to my dealer's lead tech last night when picking up my Spyder and I specifically asked if the 2014s needed an after market belt tensioner and he said no. He said he had a special tool to measure the tension and he said you pluck the belt like the string on a guitar and it should vibrate a certain frequency when it was correct. He said if it is set right, you won't get the harmonic effects others have reported.

Was he correct?
    Does your Spyder have any extra vibrations between 70 and 80 mph? If not he maybe correct. If it does go back an asked him whay he did not set yours up correctly.

Let us know.
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Does your Spyder have any extra vibrations between 70 and 80 mph? If not he maybe correct. If it does go back an asked him whay he did not set yours up correctly.

Let us know.
    Don't know. I only got to ride 39 miles or so home from the dealer last night on TX 46 through deer infested country at sunset so I was busy fiddling with buttons and watching out for deer. Got it up to 75 or so at times but will do some systematic testing this weekend as the weather is supposed to be great.