Spyder Garage

Default Advice needed for a short lady

This past weekend, I got to test drive a Can Am at the demo rides at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. I am totally in love with the Can Am. The search is now on for my own used Spyder. I was wondering if anyone had advice as to which model was the most comfortable for someone who is a whopping 5 feet tall. Even on my little Yamaha Virago, my husband had to modify the shifter and brake levers so I could reach them. Are there any other "vertically challenged" ladies out there that have advice about which model they were most comfortable on, especially when it came to braking?
    Thanks!
    2014 RS , White

Spyder Garage

Better half is the same height, have had both RS and RT---- RT all the way.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ktowngal View Post
    This past weekend, I got to test drive a Can Am at the demo rides at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. I am totally in love with the Can Am. The search is now on for my own used Spyder. I was wondering if anyone had advice as to which model was the most comfortable for someone who is a whopping 5 feet tall. Even on my little Yamaha Virago, my husband had to modify the shifter and brake levers so I could reach them. Are there any other "vertically challenged" ladies out there that have advice about which model they were most comfortable on, especially when it came to braking?
    Thanks!
    I, too, tower at 5 feet tall and I just bought my first spyder, a ST Limited. To me, the RT was just too big. I went with the ST because I get to sit up a little straighter and it just seemed more comfortable. The RS was a pretty good fit, too. You're just going to have to ride a few and see what feels best for you. Good luck. Hope you find the perfect one for you.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

well I'm a half inch taller....I had a RS and had to install 4 inch risers...now I have a ST with no extras to help with reach....I do have Corbin seat which seats you up a bit...have ridden a RT and it just feels too big......but some small girls love their RT's....I think it's what you get use to....good luck and check out "Girls on Spyders" Facebook....it is a closed group.....so tell them flamingobabe invited you....I love my Spyder

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Visit the dealers and sit on them all to see what feels right.

If you live anywhere near Salisbury/Lexington you'd be welcome to try my RT (if it ever gets warm again) with paddle shift, so only thing you'd have to deal with is the brake. PM if you like.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice.
    2014 RS , White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm 5'2 and find the rt-se5 very comfortable. Do try them all out.

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife is 5"1' and my RT S fits her fine, good luck

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Vertically challenged, but ride an RT

Thanks!
    Hi. I just purchased a 2014 RT-SE. I've ridden "regular" motorcycles for years, working my way up from a Honda Rebel 250 to a Honda Shadow VLX. I'm only 4'11" and have always had difficulty with seat heights. After several years, I went back to the Honda Rebel because I felt most comfortable with my ability to keep it upright. I zipped along just fine, especially on the twisties. At times, however, I did have trouble keeping up with my husband who rides a Goldwing 1800. We did look a little strange and got our share of funny looks. So, when I began talking about getting a three-wheeler, my husband suggested the Can Am Spyder. Although I do feel that I look like a mosquito on the back of a camel, I'm really enjoying the larger bike -- especially that third wheel! I couldn't manage the pull-in clutch because my hands are too small, so I got the paddle shifter. Other than freaking out about the foot brake (most previous two-wheel riders do), I feel very comfortable. I do find myself leaning forward to really push down on the brake, but I think that's just me overcompensating for the lack of a handbrake. Hopefully, I'm not developing a bad habit. I wanted the touring sitting position, so I went with the RT. Be sure to try out all the models to find your most comfortable position. I wish you luck on your search. Post a pic when you've made your purchase!

Spyder Garage

Default New vs Used

We did a little Spyder window shopping today. It just gets more confusing.

I think I have sticker shock. The price they gave me on a new 2012 RSS was $19,000 and for a 2013 RT was $23,000. I really liked the RSS but there would be a couple of modifications I would probably want to make.
    I found a used 2010 RS-S SE5 for $14,000 that pretty much has everything I would want on it. But, I have no idea if that is a good price.

There sure doesn't seem to be many used Sypders out there, which I guess is a good thing.
    2014 RS , White

Spyder Garage

I don't know which dealers you've checked out, but I have had excellent treatment from RPM Motorcycles in Albemarle. See Rick or Steve, I don't think anyone will beat their deals.
    2012 RT LTD Lava Bronze, Ultimate seat, backrests and fuel door. Two Brothers Titanamium. Laser Alignment, Seals Floorboards. BajaRon Sway Bar and links, Spyderpops blockoff, Grilles, Missing Belt Guard, Bumpskid, Gold Wing Windshield Vent, Kewlmetal Helmet Locks, Rumbling Pride Flag Holders, Cup holders, Signal LED's on mirrors, Baker Built belt stabilizer, gremlin bell, Bad Boy air horn, TricLed 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th taillights and fender LED strips. RT-622 trailer, ........More to come.

Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    I am 5'2", more or less. I own a 2009 RS. I have operated both an RT and a ST. Other than needing the risers on the RS, there wasn't a lot of difference regarding height, and the risers were just to adjust how much I had to lean forward. The sport riding position may not be a problem if you don't have a bad back, like I do.

My mods: Ed Hardy "Love Kills Slowly" graphics, custom tag frame to match graphics, Kuryakyn floorboards, Street Magic Easy Risers, Mean City Cycles seat mod, BRP Ultra Touring windshield with wind deflectors, Street FX ElectroPod lighting kit, Street FX Tire Technix motion activated wheel lights, extended parking brake lever, SpyderPops super duper foot-saving heat shield (aaahhhhh!!!)

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default Short rider

Hello!
    I am only 5'2" tall myself, and after trying both the RS/RSS and the RT models. I became the proud parent of a 2010 RT/AC SE5 + named Smurfette. Because of the 18 degree seating angle of the RS/RSS, and the 1 degree seating angle of the RT, I went with the RT. Personally, I have no problems reaching all of the controls, but there are many ways to adjust them including handlebar risers, the Tri Axis adjustable handlebars, or even control relocation. On your journey of discovery for the right Spyder, try test driving all of the models to give you ideas. You can also use what we call the "stalk and inform" method of research. If you are out and about, and see a Spyder parked somewhere, try chatting up the owner. Most of us are only too happy to help a potential new owner! Good Luck with your search!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Dear Inseam Challenged

Im 5'1 and Ive been told that Im Inseam Challenged. I have driven them all and like most of the ladies have stated its what you are comfortable with. I love my RS-SE5 and I ordered it with handlebar riser and a taller windshield. If the ST were out that would have been my choice..but Im happy with Reclus.

Take your time and test them several times and then decide what fits you and your budget.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Thanks

Y'all are great. I appreciate the advise so much. I can't believe this decision is so complicated. I ordered my Jeep and knew exactly what I wanted and how much it should cost. This is a whole different world! We have plans to try and visit three different dealers on Saturday. I am hoping we will find the right Spyder for me.
    2014 RS , White

GoodJuJu

Default No Petite Problem

I'm 5'1" and have no problems with my 2013 RT Ltd. The 2-wheeler guys make me lead our rides and marvel at my cornering. :-)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When you are ready to buy..widen your search by $250 miles and look online at Ebay..you may be able to get them to match the price if you find something cheaper. I did!