Thread: U haul

Spyder Garage

Default U haul

going to spyderfest,does anyone know if U-Haul has s trailer that can fit the spyder?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I DO know that you'll have to make sure that the trailer is not only wide enough; but that the ramp leading up into it is long enough, to allow the bike to be loaded without dragging it's nose on the ramp, or it's belly on the break-over into the trailer...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Don't remember what size it was, but the smallest open trailer they had that had a wide enough gate was a double axle flat bed about 7 by 14, and you'd need 3 ramps to get the Spyder loaded. For the enclosed trailers, make sure the door is at least 6 feet wide, and you'd probably still need the ramps.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpin View Post
    going to spyderfest,does anyone know if U-Haul has s trailer that can fit the spyder?

Just picked up my new Spyder two weeks ago in the snow, 100 miles away. Went through the trailer / truck conundrum trying to get it home.

I found that NONE of the U-Haul trailers had rear gates or ramps wide enough to load the Spyder. I ended up renting a small Budget

moving truck 16' long. Was the best deal at $88.00 / day unlimited miles.

Still had a heck of a time with the loading ramps...you just can't get the long enough (mine were 8') so the Spyder nose won't rub....I mean

seriously rub.

Luckily the Spyder dealer had a small loading ramp which the truck backed into and I used a similar ramp from the local HD dealer. He was

very gracious about helping a fellow biker. Good luck, be sure to check the dimensions before you rent anything. George.

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i checked into uhaul last yr they do not have a trailer wide enough at the rear to get a spyder on it.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Don't remember what size it was, but the smallest open trailer they had that had a wide enough gate was a double axle flat bed about 7 by 14, and you'd need 3 ramps to get the Spyder loaded. For the enclosed trailers, make sure the door is at least 6 feet wide, and you'd probably still need the ramps.

john
    To keep the nose from "bottoming out" here is how to figure out how long a ramp you need.

The spyder has 4" of clearance. ...use this number not the 4 1/2 inches. This will give you "goof room" later.
    My 2012 RT measures 17.5 inches from the tip of the nose to a perpendicular line drawn from where each front tire touches the ground.
    If you have a different year, make sure you measure this for yourself. Don't trust that there have been no changes. Measure it. Draw a line from under the front of the front right tire to the front of the left tire--where the tire touches the ground. Then measure from the tip of the nose to the line.

Measure with a tape measure the distance from the TOP of the bed of the trailer to the ground with the trailer being level.

Divide the measurement to the ground by 4.
    Multiply the result by 17.5 if you have a 2012. Use your number that you got from measuring the distance from the nose to the tire line if you do not have a 2012 RT. If you are unsure, as if you measured it three times and got three different numbers, use the largest number. This will give you "goof room."

So if the trailer is 14" off the ground you need a ramp that is:

14 divided by 4 equals 3.5
    3.5 multiplied by 17.5 equals 61.25 ...this is the minimum ramp length in inches.
    So get a six long ramp.
    Make sure the ramps you use are at least 12" wide. The front tires are wider than you expect, and if you miss the ramp, or drive off the ramp you will not get good results.

My trailer is 14" off the ground.
    I use a 5' long by 18" wide ramp for the back tire and
    two 6' by 12" wide ramps for the front tires.

I purchased my ramps at discountramps.com
    Last edited by Dan_Ashley; 03-24-2014 at 02:02 PM.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It seems to me you should be riding the Spyder not trailering it. If it is cold weather you are looking at, then I would suggest and investment in heated clothing.

Spyder Garage

Dan is one of the few who stayed awake in geometry class !

- Bob

2014 Spyder Ltd. Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeBob View Post
    Dan is one of the few who stayed awake in geometry class !
    I was good at geometry. If she had the curves, I had the angles.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like that!
    Can I boorow it?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) BigLegMac's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default uhaul

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpin View Post
    I have checked with several haul places and they definitely DO NOT have a trailer that fits my RT trailer. Not wide enough for the spyder.

Spyder Garage

No offense to the OP... but you live in St. Charles, MO (I used to visit the area quite a bit and have family up there). Just ride down to Springfield! It's only a 3-4 ride with 220 miles to cover! Great roads, even in I-44
    Just sayin'
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    No offense to the OP... but you live in St. Charles, MO (I used to visit the area quite a bit and have family up there). Just ride down to Springfield! It's only a 3-4 ride with 220 miles to cover! Great roads, even in I-44
    Just sayin'
    That" fine but I have others going and the don't drive Thanks