Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Platinum or Gold Dealers?

I've been shopping around for a '14 RT or RTS and have noted that 2 of 3 of the closest dealers to me (in California at least 100-150 miles away) are noted on BRP's website as Platinum or Gold dealers. These 2 dealers also carry other BRP lines, so I'm not sure if the "badge" is just for Can Am Spyders or the entire line.

Unbeknownst to me, I have talked to the Platinum dealer at the bike show for 2 years in a row and sure didn't feel like I needed to go to his dealership for any of my GS needs...........

Anyway, is there any advantage to working with these dealers over "non" badged ones? Just curious........

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe being a gold or platinum BRP dealer means you meet a certain BRP criteria. Things like, certain sales numbers, keep service techs up to date with BRP training, have a parts dept, sales, dept, service, dept., etc. Dealers that meet gold and platinum status get more perks from BRP such as being paid a higher rate for warranty work. It's sort of a scratch my back and I'll scratch yours relationship between BRP and the dealer

I'm not sure there is any real advantage to the customer of a dealer holding a gold or platinum status?

I can say this. I have 2 BRP dealers I have been going to. Both carry multiple BRP product lines, are decent size and are considered higher level dealers. One has been pretty good to deal with. The other has not. The one that's good to deal with has great customer service and always has parts in stock. The one who's not has terrible customer service and never has parts in stock. So, BRP may classify them as the same level but I sure don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I believe being a gold or platinum BRP dealer means you meet a certain BRP criteria. Things like, certain sales numbers, keep service techs up to date with BRP training, have a parts dept, sales, dept, service, dept., etc. Dealers that meet gold and platinum status get more perks from BRP such as being paid a higher rate for warranty work. It's sort of a scratch my back and I'll scratch yours relationship between BRP and the dealer

I'm not sure there is any real advantage to the customer of a dealer holding a gold or platinum status?

I can say this. I have 2 BRP dealers I have been going to. Both carry multiple BRP product lines, are decent size and are considered higher level dealers. One has been pretty good to deal with. The other has not. The one that's good to deal with has great customer service and always has parts in stock. The one who's not has terrible customer service and never has parts in stock. So, BRP may classify them as the same level but I sure don't.
    Thanks Rob. I think you nailed it - the "badges" are from BRP and may not necessarily reflect the customer's feedback.

Spyder Garage

The "badges" are earned by sales, how much accessory inventory, parts, and units they keep in stock. There used to be surveys sent out asking about service satisfaction, but I think that has gone by the wayside.

No choice here in Alaska. There are two dealers. Not a lot of units sold in this state, so I have noted a diminishing amount of choice on "in stock" 's, virtually no accessories, and even limited parts now. Last summer, they had to order tires and light bulbs for the front headlights. I now know that I need to communicate ahead of time if I know a need for a specific part. Have not had "emergency" breakdowns, so have not had to go there yet.

IMO: a good working relationship with your dealer is more important than a BRP "dealer badge."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have dealt with a platinum dealer and the after sales service sucked. I have also dealt with an unrated dealer and the after sales service has been pretty good. I have never had any dealings with a gold rated dealer but based on my previous experience they must suck but not as bad!!!!

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The "badges" are earned by sales, how much accessory inventory, parts, and units they keep in stock. There used to be surveys sent out asking about service satisfaction, but I think that has gone by the wayside.

No choice here in Alaska. There are two dealers. Not a lot of units sold in this state, so I have noted a diminishing amount of choice on "in stock" 's, virtually no accessories, and even limited parts now. Last summer, they had to order tires and light bulbs for the front headlights. I now know that I need to communicate ahead of time if I know a need for a specific part. Have not had "emergency" breakdowns, so have not had to go there yet.

IMO: a good working relationship with your dealer is more important than a BRP "dealer badge."
    From what I have been able to learn the defining criteria has been a moving target for this over the years. I think it is now based on floor space allocation to BRP products for both units and accessories, plus amount of money invested in inventory.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    From what I have been able to learn the defining criteria has been a moving target for this over the years. I think it is now based on floor space allocation to BRP products for both units and accessories, plus amount of money invested in inventory.
    Your right on. I have received varying information depending on who and when I asked. I know that floor space allocation was a requirement for becoming a dealer at one time. The allocation had to accommodate display 's as well as a wall of accessories. My servicing dealer now has none of the above and his other location is now the "official" dealer. Five miles for the local one and twenty five miles to the "official" one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input, everyone. I will pretty much ignore the Platinum or Gold status flags and go off of customer service satisfaction. I just want to be sure I buy from the right dealer, since any factory repairs will entail long drives each direction.

Spyder Garage

Actually, sales volume is not a factor taken into account when it comes to dealer certification. An important factor in the certification level of a dealer is based on feedback received from customers regarding their customer experience there.
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Actually, sales volume is not a factor taken into account when it comes to dealer certification. An important factor in the certification level of a dealer is based on feedback received from customers regarding their customer experience there.
    Thanks for your comment Steve. From my own experience with a platinum rated dealer. Every interaction for service or parts after the initial sale was unsatisfactory. After the sale they had 2 weeks to prep and deliver the used Spyder on an agreed upon date. It was delivered a day late and that is after I called to ask why it was not delivered. An excuse was made but I suspect they forgot. It was badly prepared and several items that I outlined in the bill of sale were not done. Oil change not done, no 2nd key cut and programed, license plate bolted on with battery bolts, incorrect air pressure in the tires and more. When I would bring it in for service there was never a work order filled out outlining the work request so of course stuff was forgotten every time. When I made an appointment to have a problem looked at. I called back 2 days after I delivered it at the appointed time and was told they had not looked at it yet. The parking lot for service is gravel so my Spyder was returned to me filthy after every service. Parts always took a long time to come in. That is in contrast to my local BRP Ski-doo dealer, when parts are ordered they are in the next day. I have now found a new dealer a half hour farther away that gives much better service and have taken my Spyder business there.

At no time during this whole experience was I asked by BRP my opinion on the service I received. In conversations with other local Spyder owners my experience is not much different than theirs. From my point of view your systems for determining dealer ratings appear to me to be flawed. Maybe I have been spoiled by the 2 decades of great service I have received from my local BRP Ski-doo, Can-am ATV dealer and maybe I should expect lousy service from other dealers.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Steve:

In five years of Spyder ownership involving four RT's we received one call from BRP in response to my complaint about excessive heat on my wife's 2010 RT and one as a follow up to a Throttle Body problem on my machine back in 2011... I don't recall ever being asked to comment on the dealer.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your input on the subject.

I have not received any feedback queries in over three years. Been a Spyder owner since 2008. Both vehicles are serviced at least twice a season.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Steve,

Very good to see someone from BRP here! I just purchased an ST-S for my wife and would like to provide some detailed feedback to BRP. What is the best destination for that sort of communication where it would get viewed by the folks that make the strategic product decisions?
    2019 Spyder F3-T, white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RandyL View Post
    Steve, What is the best destination for that sort of communication where it would get viewed by the folks that make the strategic product decisions?
    Hi RandyL,

Generally, you should've gotten a survey to fill out if you bought your vehicle from a BRP dealer. That's usually the best way to get feedback to us.

Beyond that, you can contact us directly and we'll definitely take your comments down. You can also email me at brp.care@brp.com .
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Steve,
    Thanks for putting one of the, "Old Wives' Tales"; to rest!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The information I posted earlier came from a trusted source. I try not to speculate or pass on old wives tales.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Here's your answer straight from the source....

I'm pretty sure this is your answer. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure these guys would be the go to source for all things spyder

Thanks BRPcare! So nice to see ya here

Spyder Garage

Default BRP rating

akspyderman pretty well nailed it. BRPcare 1st response frankly leaves out a lot. To the buyer, the dealer's BRP status will not make as much difference as the dealership itself. Now it does make a difference to the dealer.
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidTNDawg View Post
    akspyderman pretty well nailed it. BRPcare 1st response frankly leaves out a lot. To the buyer, the dealer's BRP status will not make as much difference as the dealership itself. Now it does make a difference to the dealer.
    Thank you for the support. What I posted is my story, and I'm sticking to it. BRP is most likely not going to post what all goes into the determination of Silver, Gold, and Platinum dealership ratings. That is dealer information and not customer information. Time also changes parameters.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you BRP. And I called the Platinum dealer too.......

Thanks Steve, at BRP for clarifying the dealer status certifications. I am currently in the process of trying to buy my first brand new Spyder, and want to make sure I find the right dealer for after sales work. If I have any questions, I'll send you an email.

That said, I decided to contact the Platinum Dealer yesterday and got the most awesome salesman on the phone who treated me well, answered every question I had (and then some) and was very upfront about OTD price, fees & dealer locator/inventory issues. He promptly answered my emails about farkle pricing. I am quite pleased so far.....

This afternoon, I decided to call the other dealers (of varying certifications or not) for a little comparison shopping - and it wasn't nearly as good an experience. So the next step is to visit a few dealers and see what happens next!

Spyder Garage

I bought my Spyder from Jet World in Castaic, Ca . The owners Name is Dan. He has treated me very well. He is a platinum dealer.

2014 RTS SE6 White
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka front shocks supplied by Pitbull Power sports.
    Aligned By Squared Away
    Smooth Spyder belt tensioner
    Sprderpops Bump skid
    BRP TRI AXSIS Handle bars
    Luggage rack
    2013 STS SE5 Circuit Yellow. The Jenny Mobile!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Nils - they are the dealer that I am very happy with.

BTW, did you get your wheel pull fixed? I know that you were going to get a new tire & was hoping that solved everything.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CentralCoastCA View Post
    Thanks Nils - they are the dealer that I am very happy with.

BTW, did you get your wheel pull fixed? I know that you were going to get a new tire & was hoping that fixed it
    Yes I did get both front tires changed. One was replaced under warranty and I bought the other one. The pull is gone. We just did a 700 mile ride over the weekend. It road
    like a dream. I got the Tri Axsis handle bars. They made such a nice improvement.

What color are you getting??

2014 RTS SE6 White
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka front shocks supplied by Pitbull Power sports.
    Aligned By Squared Away
    Smooth Spyder belt tensioner
    Sprderpops Bump skid
    BRP TRI AXSIS Handle bars
    Luggage rack
    2013 STS SE5 Circuit Yellow. The Jenny Mobile!

Spyder Garage

Glad that the tires were the fix!

I'm looking for an RT SM6, which only comes in white or black and are extremely difficult to find. I don't want the SE, but I may end up with one. As for color, I want white or cognac but I'll have to see what inventory is left when we're ready to buy.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My local dealer is platinum and the one I bought my RTS from was a gold. The gold dealer got the first 14's in and the local dealer was pissed!