Spyder Garage

Talking Engine Shuts off after long runs

My 2013 RT Limited shuts off after I running a distance of 50 plus miles. Upon coming to an exit it downshifts and once it get to idle it shuts off. Anyone having this problem? It also shuts off after startup. It was doing this on and off prior to the notice. Anyone else experiencing this. Any solutions.

Biggdogg22.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Biggdogg22 View Post
    My 2013 RT Limited shuts off after I running a distance of 50 plus miles. Upon coming to an exit it downshifts and once it get to idle it shuts off. Anyone having this problem? It also shuts off after startup. It was doing this on and off prior to the notice. Anyone else experiencing this. Any solutions.

Biggdogg22.....
    How many miles on the engine. Mine did it a few times when it had less than 600 miles on it once I though that I had bad gas.
    Haven't had any problems since.
    2015 RTS Ltd Spyderpops bumpskid, Dual Isci Hand Brake ,Baker Wind Wings

2016 Polaris Slingshot SL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Omcge View Post
    How many miles on the engine. Mine did it a few times when it had less than 600 miles on it once I though that I had bad gas.
    Haven't had any problems since.
    Just went over 4600 miles...

Spyder Garage

Could be the vaccum hoses ?Does it start again after it shuts down ?
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With that many miles on it... there's something going on here!
    When these bikes are new; they seem to shut down once in a while for no real apparent reason. They stop doing it after maybe 500 miles...

Have you noticed a change in your fuel mileage, or the smoothness of the engine at idle?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    Could be the vaccum hoses ?Does it start again after it shuts down ?
    Starts up for a few seconds then shut off. After 3-4 tries and a little extra throttle it idles fine and smooth. The problem increase after it gets hot or on a constant ride...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    With that many miles on it... there's something going on here!
    When these bikes are new; they seem to shut down once in a while for no real apparent reason. They stop doing it after maybe 500 miles...

Have you noticed a change in your fuel mileage, or the smoothness of the engine at idle?
    Mileage is a little better since the update and it runs smooth. It shuts off after a nice run.

Spyder Garage

Lots of possible reasons. I'd let the dealer sort it out.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Biggdogg22.....
    I had a similar problem with my 2013 RTS. I could travel a long distance, shut down, try to re start and nothing. Might run for a couple of seconds, then shut off. SpyderAnn gave me a suggestion of the possible problem and she was right. I cannot remember the name of the part, but my dealer checked, it was defective. They replaced it and I have had no additional problems. I had around 4000 miles on my bike when this occurred. NOTE: The problem did not show up when it was on BUDS. I had taken my bike in for the INITIAL HEAT RECALL ISSUES. It began to have problems on the way home from the dealer. Again, check with SpyderAnn. Good luck!

Spyder Garage

Biggdogg22.....
    Like Scotty said, many possibilities but those are some of the same things that happened to my 2013 just before they replaced the purge valve (4 times in 16,000 miles) but they should see that on BUDS. Good luck! Let us know what they find.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Daisyjoe View Post
    I had a similar problem with my 2013 RTS. I could travel a long distance, shut down, try to re start and nothing. Might run for a couple of seconds, then shut off. SpyderAnn gave me a suggestion of the possible problem and she was right. I cannot remember the name of the part, but my dealer checked, it was defective. They replaced it and I have had no additional problems. I had around 4000 miles on my bike when this occurred. NOTE: The problem did not show up when it was on BUDS. I had taken my bike in for the INITIAL HEAT RECALL ISSUES. It began to have problems on the way home from the dealer. Again, check with SpyderAnn. Good luck!
    Purge valve?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    Purge valve?
    That's it. The Purge Valve. I have 7500 miles on the bike now and I have never had another problem.
    Thanks guys.

Spyder Garage

Biggdogg22.....

have your dealer check your manifold hose theres a 90degree bend that might have cracked and developed a leak...this happened to my 11 rts and its a simple fix