Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Only shows the AUX mode

Hi gang,
    I've only had the bike 20 hours, but I need some help.
    I attached the 30 pin ipod plug, and I've tried a shuffle, then a 8gb nano, and finally my iphone 5s with the lightening adapter and the Spyder only shows AUX mode no matter what.

The very first time I attached the shuffle it showed iPod on the display and seemed to work. I know I went into the RECC settings and was looking around, set the clock and the date, but I don't think I did anything else.

Can you point me in the right direction?
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Last edited by dano; 03-22-2014 at 04:02 PM. Reason: poor writing skills.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=dano;779088]Hi gang,
    I attached the 30 pin ipod plug, then attached a shuffle, 8gb nano, and my iphone 5s with the lightening adapter and the Spyder only shows AUX mode no matter what.

The very first time I attached the shuffle it showed iPod on the display and seemed to work. I know I went into the RECC settings and was looking around, set the clock and the date, but I don't think I did anything else.

You can only connect one at a time in the rear, try the iPod alone and see what happens

cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Sorry, I said that poorly.
    I had only one attached, either the shuffle, the nano, or the iphone 5s with the new lightening connector adapter.
    Does it make any sense?
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    Sorry, I said that poorly.
    I had only one attached, either the shuffle, the nano, or the iphone 5s with the new lightening connector adapter.
    Does it make any sense?
    Dan

Not it sure about it working with the new lightning adapter

But the nano and the shuffle should work, be sure the nano or shuffle is charged and turned on
    Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

They are charged and turned on. I've tried powering them off and on, made sure shuffle was off and the shake to change songs is off also. I also unplugged the spyder cable and plugged it back in.

As you might expect, if I press play on the ipod, music plays but since it's AUX mode, I can't change songs or playlists etc..

Dan

Spyder Garage

Mime does that sometime with the Ipod. I have to unplug and replug it in with the Bike running.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

I just went to the bike and pressing the set mode toggles between aux, fm, and weather. Pressing and holding the set didn't seem to do anything. I'll end up taking it to the dealership if we can't find anything to try, but I thank everyone for giving me some ideas.

Spyder Garage

Sorry we could not offer any more suggestions

cruzr joe

Spyder Garage

Alright, I tried unplugging with the bike running and it didn't change from AUX.

Spyder Garage

Default Compatible iPod Device

Not sure what generation of iPod you're trying to connect.
    These are the Compatible iPod Devices...

iPod Touch (2nd, 3rd & 4th generation)
    iPod Nano (5th &6th generation)
    iPad
    iPad 2
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I have a Nano, 5th gen which is in the list.
    I also have tried a shuffle and iphone 5s with no luck.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Be sure you have the correct iPod cable. The early ones (prior to 2012?) had a black box in the middle. They are not compatible with later RTs, and vice versa. Try reconnecting the iPod (turned off) with the Spyder running, then start the iPod. Try wiggling the cable at the connector on the Spyder, or at the iPod. If the cable doesn't latch at the iPod on both sides (as when using a thick case), it won't show as an iPod but it may play. Best bet with a lightning adapter cable is to use the Apple version...some aftermarket ones don't work right on the Spyder.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 03-22-2014 at 08:51 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I would try hitting the set button a couple of times. Also the lightning to old style apple connector adapter does work well with the new iphones.
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

Despite what the manual says I use an IPOD Nano and it works great as long as you install the 30 pin to lightning adapter cable. Any of the newer Apple devices will work in a Spyder with adapter cable. The controls from the handle bars work normally. You can select playlist, artist, album or track. Sounds like there may be a problem with the connector in your trunk or the adapter cable supplied by Can Am. I would take it back to the dealer and the first thing to try would be to use an adapter from another bike in the shop.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Be sure you have the correct iPod cable. The early ones (prior to 2012?) had a black box in the middle. They are not compatible with later RTs, and vice versa. Try reconnecting the iPod (turned off) with the Spyder running, then start the iPod. Try wiggling the cable at the connector on the Spyder, or at the iPod. If the cable doesn't latch at the iPod on both sides (as when using a thick case), it won't show as an iPod but it may play. Best bet with a lightning adapter cable is to use the Apple version...some aftermarket ones don't work right on the Spyder.
    Please let us know which bike, and which cable you have...
    My 2010 had a bad harness, that the dealer needed to replace. The wiring that went back to the plug in the top trunk just wasn't any good...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have found that on my new 2014, it sometimes goes into Aux mode and if I press the 'forward' button, the iPod comes back online

as for the iPhone 5s, not all lightning adapters are created equal

I bought a couple different cheap ones off ebay from China and while they all allowed the iPhone 5s to play music, they didn't allow the iPhone to charge - it wasn't until I gave in and purchased the one directly from Apple that the iPhone both played and charged
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lookerjdc View Post
    I have found that on my new 2014, it sometimes goes into Aux mode and if I press the 'forward' button, the iPod comes back online

as for the iPhone 5s, not all lightning adapters are created equal

I bought a couple different cheap ones off ebay from China and while they all allowed the iPhone 5s to play music, they didn't allow the iPhone to charge - it wasn't until I gave in and purchased the one directly from Apple that the iPhone both played and charged

Well, I tried what everyone suggested without luck. It's a 2014 RTL, so I was hopeful just pressing the forward button would work, but no luck. I have the Apple lightning adapter (not a knock off). But the Nano I have is a 30 pin, so no adapter needed. I tried my iphone 5s again too.
    I'll take the cable to the dealer (snow expected tonight, damn it anyway) but they the only 2014 they have wasn't built on Saturday so I'm guessing I'll have to wait a bit. They have a 2013 on the floor if that has the ipod port.

I'll be sure and let the group know the outcome to hopefully save someone a bit of time. I appreciate this site so much!
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Update: I went to the dealer with the 30 pin cable that came with the Spyder. We plugged my cable into a '13 RTS with my 5th gen Nano, and it displayed iPod. They allowed me to swap cables anyway and when I tried the new cable on my '14 RTL, it displayed AUX. So, I'll take the Spyder in for a new plug as soon as it gets above freezing. Damn snow anyway.

Spyder Garage

Update: I went to the dealer with the 30 pin cable that came with the Spyder. We plugged my cable into a '13 RTS with my 5th gen Nano, and it displayed iPod. They allowed me to swap cables anyway and when I tried the new cable on my '14 RTL, it displayed AUX. So, I'll take the Spyder in for a new plug as soon as it gets above freezing. Damn snow anyway.

close but no cigar.....

well, good luck with the weather and hope you can clear it up once they take a look at it
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Update: The dealership lubed the cables and said it was working. When I went to leave it was still showing AUX, so they're going to replace the radio.

Spyder Garage

Hi gang,
    I attached the 30 pin ipod plug, and I've tried a shuffle, then a 8gb nano, and finally my iphone 5s with the lightening adapter and the Spyder only shows AUX mode no matter what.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Mine does the same thing!! It will play the music on my Iphone 7 and Ipod but only shows AUX mode on display. Unable to control music like it shows on quick start manual on a Ipod, also.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Alright, I tried unplugging with the bike running and it didn't change from AUX.
    It won't change from AUX unless you select one of the other modes, ie FM, AM etc. I use my Iphone for music and it only works with the old adapter, if I try to use the the one with the single round pin it won't go into Ipod mode. It only works with the flat connector.
    Last edited by SpyderAnn01; 03-28-2014 at 09:32 PM.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Ahhhhh, only have had the bike for 20 hours..... The memories of those days... just like today, never gets old Glad you got things figured out. Enjoy your new ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Final Update. The dealer replaced the radio and the iPod finally shows up like it should. Consider this resolved! Seeya at SpyderFest!

Spyder Garage

This seems to be a common problem with the Ipod and radio. My bike did the same thing AUX only after 5 trips and a great service department. Many parts after part changed they found a bad wire harness. Only after a service manager that said I will not quit until I find it. Thanks Extreme Power Sports Columbus Ga