Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Good write-up on the Rotax from BRP

Click here for link to full story

Enough about me and on to the good stuff – the Rotax engine. Rotax designs and builds all types of engines from the trusted 277 single cylinder two-stroke to the mighty 255HP three inline supercharged inter-cooled 1503 HO Sea-Doo monster. Our engine portfolio is incredibly diversified and flexible. Other than the BRP line up of Products (Ski-Doo / Sea-Doo / Sport boats and Can-Am) we have quite a name in the world class motorcycle business with top end customers like BMW, Aprillia and now the latest addition of the 1125 for BUELL Motorcycles. We even have a full ultralight and light aircraft engine line up on top of the powersports portfolio.

Particularly for the Spyder, we chose the 990 engine because it is a proven high performance package. It is forged through racing for utmost durability and performance. It is light weight, compact and reliable – a riders dream! The V structure gives an incredible punch at low torque, slim packaging in the vehicle and a very good power-to-weight ratio. The V990 has a distinctive sound – no other V2 has in the market. You can recognize it with your eyes closed from a distance. Subtle, yet powerful and imperative. She tells you she packs enough ponies to give you lots of fun!

Now the technical stuff. The Spyder engine is a rather unique 60° angle structure and features a fully balanced high output V2 with 997.6ccm displacement, 4 valves per cylinder and fuel injection (EFI). – It links directly to the Spyder 5-speed manual sequential or 5-speed sequential semi-automatic transmission with a full mechanical reverse gear – just like on your car. The concept was adapted to the Spyder because of already mentioned attributes – slim packaging, power to weight, performance and proven durability.

The technology surrounding Spyder’s engine starts at the very base – the materials. The 990 engine features a lot of materials and heat treatment technologies which I am actually not allowed to speak about! Since we are a world leader in so many powersport segments a lot is at stake for us. But I can say that if you align all we did in the development of this specific power pack and the many hard tests we did, you could fill a book worth reading! This power pack was originally concepted for the Super Bike market and race circuits, so therefore materials were chosen which could withstand the high loads for extended periods of time.

The design of the engine is what makes Spyder’s 990 engine different from other Rotax engines found in motorcycles like BWM and Aprilla. The 990 is a V- structure while the BMW is an in-line, parallel structure. The V990 features rotating counter balancer shafts – if you know what these are! – while the BMW 804 engine features a different balancing concept via balancing rod. The BUELL engine is a similar engine type. V-structure still, but with a different displacement. The 1125 packs a lot of V-990 genes in its design.

In the end, the team at Rotax has pulled together a state of the art and unique engine designed precisely for your Spyder. Enjoy riding!
    -Mischa Zimmermann

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Sooooo, does this mean we can just run down to the local HD/Buell dealership for a set of 1125 cylinders/pistons, and other assorted goodies for the Spyder? I think they are quoting about 145hp for the 1125 Buell. That would be nice wouldn't it!! Oh well, I don't own a Spyder yet, according to BRP the model I'm waiting for won't be out till late 09. It's a good thought though.

Dwight