Thread: Starting issue

Spyder Garage

Default Starting issue

I have a problem with my 2008 RS that I haven't heard anyone else having. If I stall my Spyder by releasing the clutch a little too fast (or for whatever reason), when I try to restart it again, it won't start. It turns over for an instant and then stops dead. I've also noticed that when this happens, I usually smell gas. I don't get any error messages and other than this, it runs great. Through trial and error, I have discovered that if I let it set for 30 to 60 seconds before trying again, it will usually start right up. I'm no mechanic, but I know these computers are real sensitive and I'm guessing that it won't start until the fuel vapors have time to dissipate. I bought my Spyder new and I haven't done any mods that involve the engine (juice box etc). I've got about 28,000 miles on my Spyder and never had this problem until a few months ago. I've taken it to 2 dealers and neither of them can find a problem. The last one tried to tell me it was a loose battery connection and they tightened the connections. But the very next day, it happened again. The battery has been tested and proved to be good. This is frustrating because if I'm riding with a group and this happens as the group is leaving somewhere, I don't want to hold them up or have to try catching up with them when it finally starts. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Rick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Sounds like it is in a flooded condition due to the stall. Try going WOT when starting after a stall. jm2c

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Sounds like it is in a flooded condition due to the stall. Try going WOT when starting after a stall. jm2c
    WOT? Without throttle??? Flooding was my first thought, so I don't give it any throttle when trying to restart it. But that doesn't help. I may have been misleading when I mentioned stalling it. Occasionally when I try to start it, it tries to start and then stalls. When that happens, I have to wait to try again. But as I said, I've had my Spyder for 6 years and never had this issue until recently. Something must have changed and I'd like to fix it. I'm wondering if the mixture could be too rich? But I would have expected the dealer to know if that were the case and adjust it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Wide Open Throttle - will not allow additional fueling - cranking with wot clears flooded condition

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

If it wont turn over, it is likely an electrical issue. That may or may not explain the stalling, which could be a separate problem. Typically a starter that needs to "rest" (cool) after being used, is faulty and needs to be rebuilt or replaced. It could also be a faulty starter relay (solenoid). As to the stalling, the first thing I would check would be the relays in the fuse box. Loose ones (or faulty ones) can cause intermittent stalling and other problems. Finally, try pushing the kill switch to the on position as you crank. Some have been known to make intermittent contact.

All this presumes you have not added any new electrical stuff, like lights, about the same time your problem started. Even old lighting modifications, like HIDs or the Triple-Play or other black boxes, can fail in time and cause intermittent problems like these...including intermittent low voltage.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Jerbear and Scotty. I'll keep your suggestions in mind and have the dealer check out the starter and solenoid. I don't think starting WOT will help in this case because it won't turn over long enough to clear the gas, but it's good to know that. And I'll try it next time anyway.

By the way, I haven't added any mods (including lights) in over a year, but I'll check all of the lights and fuses as suggested. I just wish I knew if the gas smell was a CAUSE or EFFECT.
    Thanks again.
    Rick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]