Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ignition cut on the SE machines and then back on after the shift will for sure cause a pop. I had heard that from another source on a different machine but didn't know if the spyder did the same.

If that is so, you will never have an open exhaust, proper fueling, and not get popping. You will either need to drown the ignition in fuel (which is what I think most do), go back to a stock can, live with the bang, or ditch the SE.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Ideally, the stock system should compensate for mild mods and keep the fueling within range. And it actually does a pretty good job from what I've seen.
    I was running an intake and exhaust with no additional fuelling mods and had no issues. Good afr numbers. However, the O2 system on the spyder is really bad and allows for really inconsistent numbers, some of which were leaner than I was comfortable with.
    That's why I removed the o2.

You all that are playing with fuelling add ons and not checking afr are playing a dangerous game. You have no clue if your to rich or to lean. And "feel" doesn't work.
    Most people drown their machines with fuel.

Ignition cut on the SE machines and then back on after the shift will for sure cause a pop. I had heard that from another source on a different machine but didn't know if the spyder did the same.

If that is so, you will never have an open exhaust, proper fueling, and not get popping. You will either need to drown the ignition in fuel (which is what I think most do), go back to a stock can, live with the bang, or ditch the SE.

Nine times out of ten these things are running fat...often way fat because someone is adding fuel at the top to compensated for a pop at the bottom end, or something similar. Mid-range numbers are often horridly rich when tuned by the seat of the pants. If a little is good, more isn't necessarily better.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please pardon my old-fashioned tactics...
    What are plug-checks showing?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On my 08 SM5 with only a Leo Vince pipe the Evolution 02 eliminator cured all my exhaust popping and I can always run 150 to 170 miles on a tank of gas and the oil smells fine...I have never experienced any noticeable negative effects...larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Please pardon my old-fashioned tactics...
    What are plug-checks showing?
    Not going to give you a whole lot of info in regards to fueling. For fueling, Plug checks are only useful to do chops to check at one specific throttle position, typically WOT.
    If your super lean up top and fat down low your plugs are going to look OK as long as you do some idling.
    Its what we used back in the 2 stroke days because that's pretty much all we had, but even then you had to do your chop correctly or you were wasting your time.. Nowadays with AFR gauges for under 200 clams, plug chops are kind of a waste of time.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    On my 08 SM5 with only a Leo Vince pipe the Evolution 02 eliminator cured all my exhaust popping and I can always run 150 to 170 miles on a tank of gas and the oil smells fine...I have never experienced any noticeable negative effects...larryd
    Yep, that's a pretty good setup. Do you get any off idle stumble that you have to clear out, especially after idling for a bit? Are you running with the purge valve blocked/bypassed. Sometimes the idle is a bit rich at the low to mid 12's with the purge blocked and only a pipe with the modifier.
    With the purge in operation OR a drop in filter the idle goes much closer to 13. Still rich, but not to far off ideal.

Spyder Garage

My 2008 has the 02 mod, Leo Vince titanium pipe and the Old Evo Race filter and the purge is blocked. Never had any stumbling or popping.
    My mileage is usually 29-31 MPG.
    I don't think I would trade my 02 even up for a new PC or JB.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    My 2008 has the 02 mod, Leo Vince titanium pipe and the Old Evo Race filter and the purge is blocked. Never had any stumbling or popping.
    My mileage is usually 29-31 MPG.
    I don't think I would trade my 02 even up for a new PC or JB.
    It was after our previous conversation that really got me into testing and looking more into how the purge affects the system.
    Thank you for the brainstorm sessions!

Spyder Garage

It was after our previous conversation that really got me into testing and looking more into how the purge affects the system.

i took off the 02 modifier and put my stock 02 sensor in. Going to fill her tomorrow and see about exhaust pop and MPG improvement.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.” Edward Burke

Spyder Garage

Yes the brainstorming sessions are great, I always learn something or at least get another view on things to ponder. Of course with the spyder no two things seem to work the same.
    I also plugged the purge on my STS SE. It still pops some on the 2nd and 3rd gear shifts, but only half of what is did before.
    I have one round, long spare 02 sensor and am looking for another to try on my ST, which has two 02 sensors, if anyone has one they would like to sell.
    The 02 on my GS was purchased in 08 and is square and about the size of a matchbox and came from Evoluzione. I am wondering how to tell if they both are the same in regards to the AFR. I guess I should invest in an AFR meter and swap them out on my GS to see.
    I would like to know I have 2 matching 02's for this experiment.
    Last edited by capt.jim; 03-26-2014 at 11:48 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep, that's a pretty good setup. Do you get any off idle stumble that you have to clear out, especially after idling for a bit? Are you running with the purge valve blocked/bypassed. Sometimes the idle is a bit rich at the low to mid 12's with the purge blocked and only a pipe with the modifier.
    With the purge in operation OR a drop in filter the idle goes much closer to 13. Still rich, but not to far off ideal.

No off idle stumble or clean out needed...
    I do have the purge valve blocked off...
    The bike works and runs perfect at all speeds, couldn't ask for anything better...