Spyder Garage

Default Can I Mount ax X-Grip Over My Gas Gauge?

As many of you know, the analog gas gauge isn't as good as the electronic one.

My though is to put an X-Grip for my iPhone over the gauge area and run power for the iPhone from where the gauge currently is (that should be the easier part). Is there a good way to mount it there without drilling into the dash?

I'd prefer to keep my handlebars clear and keep the phone a bit more out of the way (I know most mount it there, and that's an easy location). My thought would also make it easier to power since the cord wouldn't be in motion when the handlebars turn.

There may be a good reason not to do this - I don't know, but I'm wondering if anybody else has tried anything similar and what advice I can get.

thanks,
    Mark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    As many of you know, the analog gas gauge isn't as good as the electronic one.

My though is to put an X-Grip for my iPhone over the gauge area and run power for the iPhone from where the gauge currently is (that should be the easier part). Is there a good way to mount it there without drilling into the dash?

I'd prefer to keep my handlebars clear and keep the phone a bit more out of the way (I know most mount it there, and that's an easy location). My thought would also make it easier to power since the cord wouldn't be in motion when the handlebars turn.

There may be a good reason not to do this - I don't know, but I'm wondering if anybody else has tried anything similar and what advice I can get.

thanks,
    Mark
    That is very easy.
    You will need to get the plugs from your dealer that would go there if you did not have gauges. Very cheap, a few dollars.
    Then you can use the top part of the Ram U-Bolt Base to mount to the Plug.
    RAM Base
    You just need to take the dash out, very easy again by taking the 6 or 8 screws out. When you mount your U-Bolt Base through there you will need to use some larger washers on the back that will actually hold out against the back of the dash. If you don't the plug would come out with the weight of the device. The U-Bolt Base comes up a little in the middle so you would drill a hole in the plug for the wiring to come through right behind the U-bot Base. You can not see the hole when the base is installed, but it is very clean for the wires for your GPS or whatever.
    I have a ZUMO mount on mine as you can see from the picture.
    Spyder 0813-7.jpg
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

JThornton has a dash mount for phones and other electronics, and it's about the slickest setup I've seen...
    Contact him!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

image.jpg

I put a round plate behind the gauge opening and the aligned the RAM mount on the front. I drilled the four holes in the backing plate, which are all inside the gauge opening, so no drilling into the dash. Then bolted them together.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ok you guys please don't laugh, but I have this statement before "the analog gas gauge isn't as good as the electronic one" so where is the electronic one. thanks guys

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually; that's a very good question to ask!
    When you unplug the analog fuel and temperature gauges, they show up on your main screen in digital fashion... automatically!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Actually; that's a very good question to ask!
    When you unplug the analog fuel and temperature gauges, they show up on your main screen in digital fashion... automatically!

And the digital is much more accurate, but you will have to unplug BOTH the fuel and tem Guage in order for this to happen (very easy to do)

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    image.jpg

I put a round plate behind the gauge opening and the aligned the RAM mount on the front. I drilled the four holes in the backing plate, which are all inside the gauge opening, so no drilling into the dash. Then bolted them together.

If you would have put an outlet somewhere near there, I would have called you a Genius, but as it is you just get "Damn Good Idea".

Remember One Ahhh Sh** wipes out ten "Damn Good Ideas"

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Joe,
    With that Black Beauty that you're on; you should have a Warp Speed Indicator, and a Di-Lithium Crystal condtion gauge on board!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    image.jpg

I have seen this in person and it's great! He also uses it to hold a RAM cup holder.

I am going to do the same thing myself this weekend
    For me it will hold the GPS when I need it. When I don't need the GPS I will do the cup holder when I want that. When nothing, it looks good as it is

12V outlet will go in the speaker grill below it.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Joe,
    With that Black Beauty that you're on; you should have a Warp Speed Indicator, and a Di-Lithium Crystal condtion gauge on board!

I have the Chrome rack out being Powder coated

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

I did...so am I genius?

usb2.jpgusb1.jpgusb power port.jpg
    Last edited by stevedfive; 03-21-2014 at 07:44 PM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    And the digital is much more accurate, but you will have to unplug BOTH the fuel and tem Guage in order for this to happen (very easy to do)

Cruzr Joe

If you unplug either analog gauge the digital ones show up and the remaining gauge stops working.

JT

Spyder Garage

This is my Dash Mount and Dual USB Dash Power.

Dash Mount and Dash Power.jpg

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    This is my Dash Mount and Dual USB Dash Power.

Dash Mount and Dash Power.jpg

JT
    and I love it!!

so far I have my GoPro, my iPhone, and a 7" X-Grip to hold a iPad Mini which I use as my GPS device attached to it
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lookerjdc View Post
    and I love it!!

so far I have my GoPro, my iPhone, and a 7" X-Grip to hold a iPad Mini which I use as my GPS device attached to it
    WOW! that must look like the dash on a 777!

JT

Spyder Garage

This is all great info - I especially like finless' solution (for me). Putting the USB in the grill makes it a much easier fix if I want to return the Spyder to stock at some point.

Thank you, all!

Spyder Garage

Check this web site out for ideas and options to get the hook ups....
    http://www.providence-spyder-accessories.com

This is a new start up and the owners are top shelf and willing to work with you. Some goos ideas for sure and good luck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    WOW! that must look like the dash on a 777!

JT
    I wioll post more pictures later - I can't find my long ram mount arm for the Mini so when I unbury it......
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    This is all great info - I especially like finless' solution (for me). Putting the USB in the grill makes it a much easier fix if I want to return the Spyder to stock at some point.

Thank you, all!
    My Dual USB that replaces the analog gauge does not require any modifications at all and can be reverted back to stock in a couple of minutes.

JT