Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default HELP!!! V55 or VSS Fault code

Wow yesterday I left work to take the RS in for its 30,000 mile Service. Left Denver for 104 mile ride to the dealer headed down the Highway running around 90mph and all of a sudden the Spyder just shut down. There were two codes funning across the serene One is the V55 or VSS not sure the other check DPS ??
    There were Two indicator light on the dash One was the Engine light on the upper right the other was something on the lower left around the 80mph indicator. I was stuck in Limp Home mode on the Highway and Eight miles from Home. Got Home and Called the Dealer the mechanic helped me clear the codes and the RS started right up and ran fine for the rest of the 83 miles to the Dealer.
    jtpollock

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

These are not the fault codes, they are warnings. The actual active fault codes would have to be called up using a special manual procedure for your particular model, or the fault code history can be read by the dealer via BUDS. That would be necessary to try to determine the actual cause. What you saw were cascading warnings, where one critical system triggered the shutdown of another, related system.

Most likely causes for your problem would be:

1. Riding the brake pedal (or brake switch/pedal bumper failure). Merely touching the pedal without actually applying brake pressure will trigger this sequence

2. Low voltage. The DPS takes the most amperage of anything but the starter. A turn can pull a depleted battery too low, triggering warnings and limp mode. A weak/bad battery can do the same.

3. Bad DPS. This is something for the dealer to diagnose and repair.

4. Bad/loose/obstructed ABS sensor or clogged sensor wheel. If a VSS shutdown is triggered because of a perceived brake problem, it will shut down related systems.

I would guess that yours is most likely one of the first two possibilities. There are additional possible causes.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 03-21-2014 at 07:33 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you by any chance running tire sizes different than OEM? Or did you have a tire that was low?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    These are not the fault codes, they are warnings. The actual active fault codes would have to be called up using a special manual procedure for your particular model, or the fault code history can be read by the dealer via BUDS. That would be necessary to try to determine the actual cause. What you saw were cascading warnings, where one critical system triggered the shutdown of another, related system.

Most likely causes for your problem would be:

1. Riding the brake pedal (or brake switch/pedal bumper failure). Merely touching the pedal without actually applying brake pressure will trigger this sequence

2. Low voltage. The DPS takes the most amperage of anything but the starter. A turn can pull a depleted battery too low, triggering warnings and limp mode. A weak/bad battery can do the same.

3. Bad DPS. This is something for the dealer to diagnose and repair.

4. Bad/loose/obstructed ABS sensor or clogged sensor wheel. If a VSS shutdown is triggered because of a perceived brake problem, it will shut down related systems.

I would guess that yours is most likely one of the first two possibilities. There are additional possible causes.
    Thanks for your responce you always have good information. jtpollock

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Are you by any chance running tire sizes different than OEM? Or did you have a tire that was low?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Yes my front tires are 185 60s. jtpollock

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I didn't pay close attention this morning, but I just noticed the mileage on your Spyder. Add one more strong possibility...worn brake pads. If they are thinner than a worn dime, it's time to replace them. Also check your brake fluid level. Usually that causes a different sequence, but it can shut down the VSS and trigger cascading warnings.