Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default GPS what is the best for the can am Spyder?

Ok I was ask ? What is the best gps for the bike? Also best to see in sun light? So now I need help on this. Let me know what you all think would be the best one......?

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

John I just use Maps on my Iphone and listen to it through my Scala G9 in my helmet. I review the route before I take off and the nice lady tells me where to turn. After you make a turn she will tell you how far to go until your next move. If it is further than 10 miles you will get a heads up at 10 miles and again at 2 miles. With this I really don't see the need for a visual GPS hard mounted to the Spyder.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Strongly Agree

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    John I just use Maps on my Iphone and listen to it through my Scala G9 in my helmet. I review the route before I take off and the nice lady tells me where to turn. After you make a turn she will tell you how far to go until your next move. If it is further than 10 miles you will get a heads up at 10 miles and again at 2 miles. With this I really don't see the need for a visual GPS hard mounted to the Spyder.
    This is what I do. Iphone 5S with Ram Mount and weather box. Talks to me in my headset. Wife has same so we swap them out on the charger for long trips.

Spyder Garage

mean by best? she would to see it in the sun, she has a 665garmin now but its not working right, sun kills if and stops working. so she called garmin and the sent a new 665 but still dose the same . can't see it in sunlight. so do you all think the 660 is better for the sun??? thanks…..

Spyder Garage

Default When riding on the back roads of

Wisconsin the map visual is nice as you can see to a degree the windings of the road and blind intersections coming up. It was great riding down south as well, we would ride wherever we wanted and know we had signal so when we got lost we could plan our next visit to the closest town. We have the factory GPS
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

I bought my Spyder and the factory gps is not on it. Do you know what model it is? Want to buy a replacement.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spacetrucker View Post
    mean by best? she would to see it in the sun, she has a 665garmin now but its not working right, sun kills if and stops working. so she called garmin and the sent a new 665 but still dose the same . can't see it in sunlight. so do you all think the 660 is better for the sun??? thanks…..
    StvedFive recently posted quite a bit about the sunshade that he uses for his...
    (I think that it's in the, "RT Touring" area..)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

ok thanks will call him ..thanks for your time

Spyder Garage

Glare sux on any & all of them there are some "hoods" that fit on few quite simple & well. Pics of 1 found last year.
    IMG_7698.jpg IMG_7700.jpg
    https://www.glarestomper.com/
    You can DIY 1 simple enough with Velcro& coroplast

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use my iPhone and it works great

Quote Originally Posted by Can-Am Poogs View Post
    This is what I do. Iphone 5S with Ram Mount and weather box. Talks to me in my headset. Wife has same so we swap them out on the charger for long trips.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post

How good does this work with your G9 when you are talking to hubby ????? I do the same as you with my Sena SMH10 and the GPS on the phone and sometimes it will not override Holly while we are talking via headsets. When I know there is a turn coming I have to end our talking and go dead air to get the turn by turn via phone thru the headset........ I have missed turns before while we are talking because sometimes it will not override her. It's strange..... sometimes it works and sometimes it don't.
    Last edited by arntufun; 03-20-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default iPhone App Software

I'm going to expand this question a bit. I use my iPhone 5 with a bluetooth connection to my helmet, but have a GPS issue if I don't have a signal.

What apps are people currently using that allows for downloading maps for offline use, hopefully for traffic (when online), has good audio instructions, and will allow a way to pre-program a ride rather than only offering the option of the fastest way to a particular destination?

There's an older thread I found on this, but in two years apps change a great deal.

Spyder Garage

As far as being able to see in the sunlight goes, some polarized sunglasses don't work well with LED screens. That being said, some GPS's work better with polarized sunglasses than others. I have a cheaper automotive quality Garmin that I can't read with my sunglasses on, but I can read my Garmin 660 with polarized glasses. I have some highend Lowrance LED electronics in my boat that can't be read with the same polarized glasses. I have an IPhone and it is hard to see sometimes on a hot sunny summer day too.

Spyder Garage

Hi,

Having tried a lot of application on my iPhone in the past years, the best I finally came with is MyRouteApp.com

they have a web site where you can make your own route and add all the waypoints you want.

And they have 2 different iPhone and Android apps. MyRouteApp and MyRouteApp Navigation. the first one is to be able to make and edit your route on your phone and the second one is their Navigation app.

With the Navigation App, you can download maps so you don't need any cell phone signal to be able to use it.

Using this combination for 2 years and it's the best I've found so far.
    X-Grip Ram Mount Phone Holder, Lamonster Fog and driving lights, BRP Heated grip, Home made rear rack + Shad SH58X top case, BRP belt tensioner
    2016 F3T , Red

Spyder Garage

Default GPS what is the best for the can am Spyder?

I had the Garmin 550 that I sold with my old bike and have the Garmin 660. The BRP mount can tilt so I don't really have an issue in the sun. What ever GPS you get, make sure you get the motorcycle GPS.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not to sound cute; but what do you mean by "Best"?
    Is it:
    Price?
    Screen size?
    Integration with the bike?
    Bluetooth capabilities?
    Ease of use?
    Availability of mapping tools?

Stevdfive was posting about the sunscreen and mounting bracket that he uses... There's a lot of info in that thread that might help...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I had a Garmin Zumo 550 on my last bike and loved it. The problem became the garmin update maps didn't fit anymore. I now use the Zumo 660 and like it but I often have trouble getting preplanned routes uploaded from Basecamp and my Mac. I especially love the "get me home" feature when I ride just to get lost! I would love to have it mounted on my dash instead of the handlebar center but just havnt tackled it yet!
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    I had a Garmin Zumo 550 on my last bike and loved it. The problem became the garmin update maps didn't fit anymore. I now use the Zumo 660 and like it but I often have trouble getting preplanned routes uploaded from Basecamp and my Mac. I especially love the "get me home" feature when I ride just to get lost! I would love to have it mounted on my dash instead of the handlebar center but just havnt tackled it yet!
    I just put a post up on how we mounted our Zumo 660 in the dash. Easy and Cheap.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ount-ax-X-Grip
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Spyder Garage

Been doing some research on the subject myself.
    The Zumo's are just too expensive for something I don't really need most the time.
    However it is clear that you want a GPS that works with hands free and BT helmets (motorcycle capabilities).

There is a document on the Sena site that lists "known" GPS's that work with SMH10, etc in hands free mode.
    With that info I bought a used Garmin 775T which based on study does everything a ZUMO does (I think) plus more!
    Lifetime traffic, "safety camera signal" alerts, Lane assist with lane assist pictures (love that), and more.

I just tested the 775T with my SMH5 and my phone. It all works well together!
    It also has the needed jack to plug into the RT radio with the BRP cable.

Cost?
    Used on Ebay $84 bucks!

Now I am going to make my own GPS cable to the radio and get it all installed possibly this weekend.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Ok I was ask ? What is the best gps for the bike? Also best to see in sun light? So now I need help on this. Let me know what you all think would be the best one......?
    I have a small garmin that is made for motorcycles. It is waterproof and works very well. 178.00 I put the mount in the center of the handlebars in the same place as the Limited factory garmin.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Zumo 220 has served us well, not as many features, smaller screen and less bluetooth connectivity than the 6XX models. But it breaks in on our helmet intercoms to give me directions so I don't have to look at the screen while in traffic
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Spyder Garage

Which model & year is your Spyder, Classy?

My 2013 RT Ltd came with a Garmin Zumo 660 & mount (same GPS & mount as the retail Zumo's except with BRP proprietry wiring set-up & map set, so you can't just swap in the std retail versions! ) but I'm pretty sure that within a couple of years of mind the GPS Model had changed, then changed again just over a year after the first change, and then BRP stopped including any separate GPS & mount on the 2018's & up......
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2019 at 09:47 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I use a TomTom XXL adapted from an auto.
    Made a custom mount with a Ram Ball and an EBAy X-Grip.
    Bought a sunshade on Ebay. Power it thru direct wiring to my battery.
    Works for me. Total cost less than $100.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Zumo and dash mount

[FONT=Century Gothic]I decided not to buy the original GPS as it was hard to find and expensive. Don't know how long Garmin will support it.

I use a Garmin Zumo 395 (I think). Use a "dash mount" attachment I bought from one of the forum sponsors and a Ram mount. It attaches directly to the battery, in the frunck. When it's raining I'll figure something else out. The frunck gets wet enough.

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

I use google maps on my phone paired to my Sena. Now days it stays on all the time regardless if i know were Im going or not. It saved me so many hours. Accidents and congestion live reports its pretty darn accurate.
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)