Spyder Garage

Default TomTom GPS for Spyders

Has anyone used the TomTom GPS unit for their Spyder? The price seems right, is waterproof, and has good reviews.

Thanks.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DubuqueSpyderRyder View Post
    Has anyone used the TomTom GPS unit for their Spyder? The price seems right, is waterproof, and has good reviews.

Thanks.
    Does it have an audio out jack? What does it have for power input, 12 volt plug or USB? If it has both it should work. See my posting on using a non-BRP GPS.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I haven't been happy with my Garmin ever since six months after I had it. Sometimes the sound works, and sometimes it doesn't. I'm out of warranty (which I'm not sure is all that good anyways given the pointing of fingers between BRP and Garmin as to who is responsible)

I may very well try the Tom Tom out.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Waswinger - Thanks for your reply, I actually already saved your post for future use. My question though, does anyone actually own a TomTom GPS and how do they like it. I'm leaning towards buying one after reading all the negatives about the Garmin.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DubuqueSpyderRyder View Post
    Waswinger - Thanks for your reply, I actually already saved your post for future use. My question though, does anyone actually own a TomTom GPS and how do they like it. I'm leaning towards buying one after reading all the negatives about the Garmin.
    One change to my project instructions. Don't connect a USB adapter to the power output from the radio. I screws up reception, especially if the adapter emits a lot of RF noise.

I haven't got things figured out yet about what changes to post.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I have a Garmin on my Spyder, love it, got it in sync with my Scala Rider. I also have 2 Tom-Toms, one in my company vehicle and one that I switch between my personal vehicles and my Triumph Bonneville. All work great, no complaints. I'm sure you'll be pleased with whatever route you decide to take.
    2012 RT LTD Lava Bronze, Ultimate seat, backrests and fuel door. Two Brothers Titanamium. Laser Alignment, Seals Floorboards. BajaRon Sway Bar and links, Spyderpops blockoff, Grilles, Missing Belt Guard, Bumpskid, Gold Wing Windshield Vent, Kewlmetal Helmet Locks, Rumbling Pride Flag Holders, Cup holders, Signal LED's on mirrors, Baker Built belt stabilizer, gremlin bell, Bad Boy air horn, TricLed 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th taillights and fender LED strips. RT-622 trailer, ........More to come.

Spyder Garage

Default Tom Tom

I had one on my 2008 GS. Worked well until one day in heavy rain. It was supposed to be water proof but something messed it up. Went to the Garmin 500 when they first came out. Garmin finely failed and was replaced with a similar unit for $100 as out of warranty. Now I use iPhone google maps as it links nicely to my helmet bluetooth.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the Tom Tom XL and have used it for years. A little difficult to see in direct sunlight. It does have a mini phone audio jack.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I have a TomTom XXL 550 that I want to mount on the RS. I am going to purchase a sun shade and waterproof cover for it. I guess it should be OK to use this type of unit on the Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You should be fine.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I'm using the Tomtom Rider on my RS. Haven't had any problems yet...It does not have an audio jack, though. But connecting it via bluetooth with my helmet and my phone was really easy. I find it a cool little feature that i can dial with the Tomtom without fumbling the phone out of my pocket. And you can use it with your gloves on. I know it's stupid, but i simply love that i can replace the stupid car icon on the display with a little red Spyder😜

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk