Spyder Garage

Default Rear Shock Replacement

Hello all.

Just wondering since I'm trying to redo my suspension on my 2010 RT-S and have asked a lot of questions about the front shocks i have one about the rear. if you upgrade ( I'm 225 lbs and won't be getting any light anytime soon & I bottom out on big bumps on occasion) will after market shocks allow you to keep the ability to change the shocks riding characterists from the control panel or do i need a oem replacement. Also any suggestions as to what would fit someone that 225- 250 lbs. I live in Northern Wisconsin pot holes and rough country road stretches are a deamon i have to live with and after this winter I'm sure they are going to be worse than ever.

thanks
    Last edited by TroyboyRn; 03-18-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TroyboyRn View Post
    Hello all.

Just wondering since I'm trying to redo my suspension on my 2010 RT-S and have asked a lot of questions about the front shocks i have one about the rear. if you upgrade ( I'm 225 lbs and won't be getting any light anytime soon & I bottom out on big bumps on occasion) will after market shocks allow you to keep the ability to change the shocks riding characterists from the control panel or do i need a oem replacement. Also any suggestions as to what would fit someone that 225- 250 lbs. I live in Northern Wisconsin pot holes and rough country road stretches are a deamon i have to live with and after this winter I'm sure they are going to be worse than ever.

thanks
    On the rear of your Spyder, you have 2 suspension devices....a shock absorber and an airbag which you control from your control panel. The switch on your control panel allows you to activate a compressor to add or remove air from the airbag. The shock absorber and the airbag are two completely separate devices and do not connect in any way. It is a little misleading since the picture on the control panel switch depicts a shock absorber, but it does nothing to change the shock absorber itself....only the airbag.

An aftermarket shock will allow you to play with the preload and rebound settings of the shock, but these adjustments must be made manually.

I hope this helps.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

What bike symptoms have you noticed before changing out your rear shock? Last week while riding home on my 2012 RT (a trip of several hundred miles) I began to notice that I could feel every bump in the road! I usually keep my shocks set at about mid to just a bit firmer range and rarely have a passenger (this time solo). Once I started feeling this, I readjusted the air portion of the rear shock to several different setting types & would feel better for awhile and then really bumpy again. I have Elkas on the front and they have given me no trouble at all. I noticed that as I went through sweeping highway curves the control was much less, even had a few warning lights come on (something that never ordinarily happens as I am a conservative driver), so had to reduce speed. I have a rear shock from Elka on order now to replace the OEM shock. No more long highway trips until I can get it installed! Thanks for the tips!
    2012 Can Am spyder RT: RED! Widow pegs with kuraykyn mounts, ride on sealant in all tires, stebel nautilus air horn, ELKA shocks, Ultimate saddle & driver backrest, digital clock & oil pressure gauge (replaced OEM gauges), xenon lights all around, Custom dynamics brake light, SEAL pup floor boards, Baja ron sway bar, chain guard, bump skid & block off plate (all from spyderpops), Baker air wings, Custom Dynamics turn signals & fender lights, custom paint job (hot rod flames)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear air bag

Anybody know where I could get a air compressor for the rear air bag on my 2010 RT-S? I don't have the almost 350 bucks to replace the one I have now that's dead in the water!! Any used ones out there? I have gone thru a kuhmo tire in almost 13,000 mi.due to the tire hitting the fender well on a lot of hard bumps, and going off from the gas station drive. Those seem to be worse than the road holes!!!Either way this is the second compressor that died and I really would like SOMETHING that works back there. I don't carry passengers. Can the shock be changed? Thanks for any info.