Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Queasyrider View Post
    Thanks Scotty! I used the e-air gauge supplied with the tool kit and set the front tires to 15.0 psi. My old mech gauge showed 17psi. Riding two up and taking a left at a light, I noticed the right tire flattening out. Will the 20psi throw off the VSS? I guess it monitors yaw (lean) and modulates the eng timing/brakes to avert lifting a wheel. I'll try a higher preload a little at a time.
    The sidecar hack required body english, careful throttle, etc. and would still lift the wheel......Art
    The manual says 13-15 psi, but 15 is the minimum posted on the sidewall, and I would never go below that. Those are cold pressures, taken severl hours since you last rode. Spyders seem to do better with a little more air up front, the GS/RS seems to like something around 20. That's where I would start. Not sure how accurate the OEM gauge is...I never use it. Use a gauge you trust, and you're sure is accurate. 20 psi won't anger Miss Nanny.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default One week update..........

It's been a week of riding the RSS. Everybody wants to know more about it. Lots of fun, getting used to the handling. Weight shifting (leaning) is far less than riding the sidecar outfit.
    A couple of questions:
    Neutral is hard to find, especially when hot. It seems the clutch is dragging. I'm selecting it as I slow down for a stop. Very hard to find in stop and go traffic. It seemed to improve temporarily when I changed the oil. I'm guessing burnt clutch plates from hard use and dirty, diluted oil.....

Steady speed surging. Riding on the highway, it's hard to maintain a constant speed. Very noticable at 65-70 mph........

Loud ticking, right front brake. Noticable accellerating at low speeds but goes away. It seems like the pads aren't releasing. I jacked up the wheel, no noise when spinning the tire........

Any ideas?...........Art

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like your having fun!
    -Normal for neutral to be dodgy at times. No worries. Believe it or not its actually improved significantly compared to some of the Aprilia bikes that had a smaller oil jet. Its easier to find when going to neutral from first vs from second.
    -the slight surge you feel is due to the o2 sensor going from rich to lean. Its accentuated when the purge valve is in operation too. It causes a slight surge. Its more noticeable on some machines vs others. Some people don't notice it. Its normal and won't hurt anything.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 03-28-2014 at 08:28 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Sounds like your having fun!
    -Normal for neutral to be dodgy at times. No worries. Believe it or not its actually improved significantly compared to some of the Aprilia bikes that had a smaller oil jet. Its easier to find when going to neutral from first vs from second.
    -the slight surge you feel is due to the o2 sensor going from rich to lean. Its accentuated when the purge valve is in operation too. It causes a slight surge. Its more noticeable on some machines vs others. Some people don't notice it. Its normal and won't hurt anything.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk
    Thanks Drew....it sounds like I need to be getting used to its "personality"! BTW a Ducati owner (75 yrs old) I met wants to make the change! Art

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Queasyrider View Post
    Hi! Great forum here, glad to be aboard!

I'm picking up my 2012 RSS SM5 tomorrow. It has 10k miles and is bone stock. It handles, accelerates, and stops well. It will replace my Suzuki Intruder 1400 with sidecar.
    Is there anything I should be aware or watching for? I have done most of my own repairs, maintenance and tire work for many years. The brake fluid was low, topping it off put the warning message out. No stains or visible leaks could be found.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated..........

Art
    Just curious what you pay for your Spyder as I just picked one up in Michigan and bringing back to Canada tomorrow minds also bone stock black green 3400 miles on it
    SNOWMOBILING ON PAVEMENT!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FIRECAT View Post
    Just curious what you pay for your Spyder as I just picked one up in Michigan and bringing back to Canada tomorrow minds also bone stock black green 3400 miles on it
    PM sent.