Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default "Special" Break-In Oil

Does BRP use a special break-in oil in the ACE 1330 motor?
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

I don't honestly know, but suspect its just their regular blend.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I don't honestly know, but suspect its just their regular blend.
    I understand the 991 class motor had a special break-in oil...wondering if the 1330 (1403 class) does also. Also understand the special break-in oil, if in the 1330, should only be replaced at or very close to the end of the break-in period, not early.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    I understand the 991 class motor had a special break-in oil...wondering if the 1330 (1403 class) does also. Also understand the special break-in oil, if in the 1330, should only be replaced at or very close to the end of the break-in period, not early.
    The 990 and 991 do not use a special break-in oil...they just have a short interval to the first oil change so the dealer can perform
    the necessary service and clean the oil screen before too many miles are racked up. I think BRP was being overly cautious.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Myth is busted!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's kind of like Canola; only not quite...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The Myth is busted!
    What myth?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I actually never understood the concept of "break in oil" maybe someone could enlighten me?
    It is my understanding that break-in oil has a higher zinc content than "regular" oil. The zinc supposedly helps seat rings...don't know for sure what else it is supposed to do.

BTW, I have it from a reliable source that BRP used break-in oil in their 991 class engines. Source didn't know if BRP uses break-in oil in the new 1403 class (1330 ACE).

I also understand that it is recommended, if break-in oil is on board, to not change the oil early. Gotta give the break-in oil the full break-in period to do it's thing...whatever that is.

I gotta admit I'm way over my head here. Asked a ? about prolonged riding during the break-in period for the 1330 and got more info than I know what to do with.

I know Amsoil, and many others, makes a break-in oil. Maybe BAJARON or some of the other "oil experts" on here can chime in to enlighten us all.

Spyder Garage

I ask one friend who work at the Spyder assembly plant here in Valcourt (Quebec). The answer is no. No special oil are use in either the 991cc or the 1330cc. It's the regular semi-synthetic blend.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you, for confirming that fact with somebody who's actually there...

Spyder Garage

In engines where full synthetic oils are specified, break-in oils are often used because the full syn oils are too "slippery". It is possible that BRP used such an oil on the early 2008/2009 990 engines that specified full synthetic, but they do not use them since they switched to the synthetic blend. I imagine it is possible that they switched just for that reason. There really is little use for special break-in oils or extensive break-in procedures or lengthy break-in periods on modern engines with finely honed cylinder walls or nicasil or chromed cylinders, and moly-filled rings. These rings seat almost immediately, unlike the old cast-iron rings, and the smooth cylinders can't hone them to shape anyway. Merely varying engine speed frequently is enough to rock and seat the moly rings.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 03-17-2014 at 06:44 AM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for your informative and relevant posts...I've learned a few things! Thanks again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    In engines where full synthetic oils are specified, break-in oils are often used because the full syn oils are too "slippery". It is possible that BRP used such an oil on the early 2008/2009 990 engines that specified full synthetic, but they do not use them since they switched to the synthetic blend. I imagine it is possible that they switched just for that reason. There really is little use for special break-in oils or extensive break-in procedures or lengthy break-in periods on modern engines with finely honed cylinder walls or nicasil or chromed cylinders, and moly-filled rings. These rings seat almost immediately, unlike the old cast-iron rings, and the smooth cylinders can't hone them to shape anyway. Merely varying engine speed frequently is enough to rock and seat the moly rings.
    With a new engine I have it tested to see how much blow by contaminants, medal, and other like antifreeze. I do this one the first oil change. The oil I drained from my 2011 RS-S SE5 was a break in oil and was a non-synthetic oil and tested normal.

Mike