Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Knock on Wood: Is the 2014 Finally The One????

I keep reading the threads here every few days and I just go away smiling that perhaps BRP finally nailed it. I saw that a couple of screws fell out of a windshield, but it was probably dealer error. Other than that, am I just not noticing the issues or is it time for me to get out the checkbook for a 2014 RT Limited in any one of the gorgeous colors?

I've been saving up for months and months just waiting to finally pull the trigger so....

Am I just missing the threads with posts about issues or...is it off to Ledgewood Powersports time (a great dealer as far as I can tell from past comments here)?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-29-2023 at 01:18 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

It is for me. I never had any trouble with either of my previous Spyders, but the new motor and the 6 speed made me make the leap. Most of the bugs appear to have been worked out
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    It is for me. I never had any trouble with either of my previous Spyders, but the new motor and the 6 speed made me make the leap. Most of the bugs appear to have been worked out

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dannyg View Post
    I keep reading the threads here every few days and I just go away smiling that perhaps BRP finally nailed it. I saw that a couple of screws fell out of a windshield, but it was probably dealer error. Other than that, am I just not noticing the issues or is it time for me to get out the checkbook for a 2014 RT Limited in any one of the gorgeous colors?

I've been saving up for months and months just waiting to finally pull the trigger so....

Am I just missing the threads with posts about issues or...is it off to Ledgewood Powersports time (a great dealer as far as I can tell from past comments here)?
    I just got through with a five-hour ride on my 2014 RT I've got 1700 miles on it. Flawless, thrilling performance through the hills and curves in the ozarks, absolutely fabulous, go for it!
    Ron
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-29-2023 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Moved Post title - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I"ve put over 7,000 miles on two 2014 RTs and I have had no problems. I love the new machine.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Don't think the reported '14 oil leaks or behind the curtain repair indicate any ongoing problems? How many new ones are actually on the road yet? Just curious.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-29-2023 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Moved Post title - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How do you know if it's the one?
    Do you remember the first time you fell in love?
    THAT's how you'll know...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vrooom View Post
    Don't think the reported '14 oil leaks or behind the curtain repair indicate any ongoing problems? How many new ones are actually on the road yet? Just curious.
    I hope the answer to Q#1 is a great big NO. I think there are more new ones on the road then we know about. I asked my dealer how many 14s he has sold and he said several. Don't know exactly how many several equates to but I've only seen one post on SL from someone who bought a new 14 in SE Virginia, and that post was mine. I know all Spyder owners are not members here, but they ought to be .
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

I keep reading the threads here every few days and I just go away smiling that perhaps BRP finally nailed it. I saw that a couple of screws fell out of a windshield but it was probably dealer error. Other than that, am I just not noticing the issues or is it time for me to get out the checkbook for a 2014 RT Limited in any one of the gorgeous colors?

am I just missing the threads with posts about issues or...is...it....off to Ledgewood Powersports time (a great dealer as far as I can tell from past comments here)?
    I have had mine for 5 weeks and will be turning over 3000 miles this weekend
    I will bring it in for the 3000 mile service this week
    The only real problem I have is the air compressor for the rear suspension is not working but it will be checked this week
    I had a small oil leak when I first got it but that was just a loose oil pressure sending sensor
    and the coolant bottle over flowed from being too full
    I am very happy with the bike and would buy it again if I had to
    I had a 2008 GS that I bought in Sept. 2007
    It was a great bike but it can't compare with the 2014 RT

Don
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-29-2023 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Moved Post title - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We have 1187 miles on our 2014 RTS and love it, the only thing I have noticed is some strange noise comming
    from the front center of the bike at highway speeds but I think it is air box noise and will check it out better
    when I get the chance to take it apart to add some accs. But other than that it is one of the best bikes we have
    owned so far, a major difference from the first two we had! So if you are ready I would make the jump, you want
    be dissapointed.
    By the way we love the simi automatic transmission, this is our first one!
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Riding season is fast approaching, I say pull the trigger!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I keep reading the threads here every few days and I just go away smiling that perhaps BRP finally nailed it. I saw that a couple of screws fell out of a windshield but it was probably dealer error. Other than that, am I just not noticing the issues or is it time for me to get out the checkbook for a 2014 RT Limited in any one of the gorgeous colors?

am I just missing the threads with posts about issues or...is...it....off to Ledgewood Powersports time (a great dealer as far as I can tell from past comments here)?
    Do a little more searching. There are reports of oil leaks and at least 2 bikes with slipping transmissions. I believe there are solutions for both problems, but you should be aware so that you can make an informed decision.

Spyder Garage

Based on the posts here so far, it looks like the 2014 RT is a pretty good one. The complaints have been few and far between, compared to issues from the prior year. By this time last year, the site was abuzz with issues.

There are a lot of non SL members out there, but they do seem to find the site when they have a problem or issue. Not seeing a lot of "new" members with first post complaints and rants.

I am saying that one should do their due diligence concerning dealers and test drives. Beyond that, it may be the year to go for a new RT--if that is the model you want.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I"ve put over 7,000 miles on two 2014 RTs and I have had no problems. I love the new machine.
    I also have 2014 RT. it is phenomenal. I've got 1800 miles on it. Handles fantastic. I haven't gotten Ronbar yet. Could you tell a significant difference when you installed yours.?

Ron
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-29-2023 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Moved Post title - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well it's only been 9 years since I posted. I never pulled the trigger on that 2014 and life certainly got in the way but with my retirement imminent, I decided to start looking at the 2023 and 2024 RT Ltd's and think that I am going to finally get one. It's actually been about 15 years since I first longed for a Spyder and had the test drive that we took with an early Limited, if not for that ending with the machine breaking down, I probably would have had one in the garage for a long time now.

Better late than never!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-29-2023 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Moved Post title into text - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Welcome back. hope you go ahead and make it happen this time.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I think that life did you a big favor in hanging you up, the bike now for the most part as much as everyone crabs about them are far better in every way than they were back then! Good luck and ride safe!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Just a bit of history. This post dates back to March of 2014. I bought a 2014 RTS that year in yellow. Drove it until 2020 and traded it off on a new 2020 F3 L. Never had a problem with it and put a little over 40K miles on it over the years.

it is pictured below at the top of Hatcher Pass in Alaska.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I had a 2012 998cc. Great machine.
    Traded for a 2019 with the 1330. Greater machine.
    just traded again for a leftover 2022. With rebate and dickering, I got only 3k less on trade in from what I paid for the 2019, so it held its value well. The 2022 is as much of a difference from the 19 as the 19 was from the 16.
    In short, you'll like the new models. There are deals on leftover 2022's if you look. My dealer has a 22 Sea and Sky, and 3 more 22's still in the crates to be built. You'll have a choice of 22,23,and 24 models out there now, without much difference in them so pick what trips your trigger, and go have some fun.
    Last edited by carbonation; 09-28-2023 at 11:35 AM.
    2022 RT-L "Charlotte"
    When my child says "I want Mom" that's the equivalent of "Can I talk to your Supervisor?"