Spyder Garage

Default Byke to trailer pigtail

Had a hitch installed at Specialty yesterday for my Nomad mini-trailer. Thought it would be easy to find an adapter. WRONG! Checked out past thread on forum and think I will make my own adapter. Less than $10 at NAPA for connecters. My question is are the wire colors standard. Green, yellow, white and brown are the same so all I have to do is solder the wires together? I think I'll shrink wrap wires,to keep moisture out.

Thanks for help
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Default The wire colors are not standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Showie View Post
    Had a hitch installed at Specialty yesterday for my Nomad mini-trailer. Thought it would be easy to find an adapter. WRONG! Checked out past thread on forum and think I will make my own adapter. Less than $10 at NAPA for connecters. My question is are the wire colors standard. Green, yellow, white and brown are the same so all I have to do is solder the wires together? I think I'll shrink wrap wires,to keep moisture out.

Thanks for help

I have the same trailer and made a "jumper" too. The first one I made I just matched the wires. WRONG! Two were correct and two were not. The best way is to just twist the wires together and then try it. Adjust as necessary. It'll only take an extra few minutes. Then solder and shrink wrap them. I love my Nomad!
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

What year , 10,11,12 or 13 ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Larry rt View Post
    What year , 10,11,12 or 13 ?
    13 RT SE and 13 Nomad Trailer.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

13 RT SE and 13 Nomad Trailer.
    I take it your Nomad is 4 wire and stop/turn are the same bulb.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    I take it your Nomad is 4 wire and stop/turn are the same bulb.
    I think so will find out Sunday when I put the jumper together

Spyder Garage

I think so will find out Sunday when I put the jumper together
    Just look at your trailer. If it has separate turn signals and a 5-pole connector it is 5-wire, and some modifications to either the Spyder or the trailer will be needed to make them compatible. If the trailer has combine brakelights and turn signals (a single lens on each side) and a 4-pole connector it is 4-wire, and you just need to rig up mating connectors with a homemade adapter or by splicing in a square-4 connector to the trailer.

I highly recommend the method of twisting the wires together or using alligator jumpers to temporarily make the connection, then test the functions before you make things permanent. As an alternative you can test each wire with a multimeter and map out the wire colors on each connector. Most trailer connectors use standard wiring colors and a standard pattern...but some imported pigtails have things mixed up. It pays to test first. Normally for 4-wire connectors:

Brown = Running lights
    Green = Right turn/brake
    Yellow = Left turn/brake
    White = Ground
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Have the same configuration, 2013 RT Limited BRP Hitch and Nomad Trailer and my connection was color for color match but to be on the safe side get yourself a test light and check each connector on the square plug. left blinker, right blinker and break light.