Spyder Garage

Default Does this replace the air filter???

Hi All
    This came with my Spyder when I bought it. What is it? The gold colored piece bolts on to the bike and the foam filter has a clamp. It also has a small hose that attaches to it and the foam seems that it is oiled. It looks that it replaces the air filter but not to sure. The previous owner said he had it on but it was to loud. I have never attempted to put it on cause it seems like it is somewhat complicated. Any recommendations? Any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by $08SpyderGS; 03-13-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It looks like it. Can you take it out of the bag and take a few additional pics? Looks like a first gen aprilia race filter.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That's what I was thinking to. That would make the air noise really loud on a spyder. That would fit in the Aprillia air box wouldn't it?
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yea, there were two different versions floating around. There was one with two flange mounts that pressed into the interior of the stock box and another that actually replaced the box all together. It had 6 mounting holes on the bottom of the flange mounting plate. Both used a foam filter.

They weren't around very long as they don't do much for performance. They look cool though!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Yea, there were two different versions floating around. There was one with two flange mounts that pressed into the interior of the stock box and another that actually replaced the box all together. It had 6 mounting holes on the bottom of the flange mounting plate. Both used a foam filter.

They weren't around very long as they don't do much for performance. They look cool though!

that was the first air filter from Ken at evoluzion cycles. they do help with performance and make it easier to work on the engine. i picked up about 3.5 mpg after i put it on. he stopped making them because of a divorce, he had to close the company.the second is still available from Kewlmetal and use a K@N filter and not foam.it doesn't press into the air box but completely replaces it.the hose is to replace the stock blow by hose because it is to short.
    Last edited by swrafey2000; 03-13-2014 at 07:20 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by swrafey2000 View Post
    that was the first air filter from Ken at evoluzion cycles. they do help with performance and make it easier to work on the engine. i picked up about 3.5 mpg after i put it on. he stopped making them because of a divorce, he had to close the company.the second is still available from Kewlmetal and use a K@N filter and not foam.it doesn't press into the air box but completely replaces it.the hose is to replace the stock blow by hose because it is to short.
    Interesting. I don't remember Kens looking like that with the gold adapters.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have that on my Spyder,yes it does replace the stock airbox but mine does not have the gold adapters...."but if it fits it ships".

Spyder Garage

Thanks all so far. I will take more pics today. How hard is it to install? I have read some posts that it is somewhat a pain in the butt to remove the stock air box. The dealer seems to frown on aftermarket upgrades to the spyder. Any risks to the engine. I cant afford any costly repairs. Again is an 08 GS

Spyder Garage

Default Pics

Quote Originally Posted by $08SpyderGS View Post
    Thanks all so far. I will take more pics today. How hard is it to install? I have read some posts that it is somewhat a pain in the butt to remove the stock air box. The dealer seems to frown on aftermarket upgrades to the spyder. Any risks to the engine. I cant afford any costly repairs. Again is an 08 GS
    Here are some better pics of the filter. Any help. I was also wondering if anyone has contact info for Ken at evoluzion cycles or install instructions. I am wodering if it takes a gasket in between the gold piece and the bike. It only has one screw to attach to the bike. It has about an 8 inch long breather tube and a small piece of round foam with a hole on one end only.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's pretty cool. It doesn't look like the one I remember seeing on by friends ape but it was quite some time ago.

There is no gasket. There is a recessed rubber oring on the bottom of the stock airbox adapter plate. It would likely swap over

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Here are some better pics of the filter. Any help. I was also wondering if anyone has contact info for Ken at evoluzion cycles or install instructions. I am wodering if it takes a gasket in between the gold piece and the bike. It only has one screw to attach to the bike. It has about an 8 inch long breather tube and a small piece of round foam with a hole on one end only.
    Ken is out of business. The install is easy. You don't need a gasket between the throttle body and the gold stack. You remove the top of the air box by undoing the snap clips and pulling off the breather clamp and hose on the front right side of the air box lid. The foam piece goes over the end of that breather hose. you then remove the six bolts that are located around the velocity stacks that are located inside the air box. There is crankcase breather tube on the bottom left side of the air box that you remove and pull the air box out.install the new air filter body and attach it with the 1 screw. Use the new hose to replace the shorter crankcase breather hose. it attaches to the 90 degree fitting on the side of the new air stacks.Then you put the air filter on and tight the clamp. It takes less than a hour to do.

Oh yea, the color of the new air filter body dependeds on which production run you got. 1st were gold 2nd were red and the last couple were black. Let me know if you have any more questions or need help. Getting the top of the air box off is the hardest part. You have to lift up on it to get it past the top of the velocity stacks.
    Last edited by swrafey2000; 03-15-2014 at 10:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by swrit. fey2000 View Post
    Ken is out of business. The install is easy. You don't need a gasket between the throttle body and the gold stack. You remove the top of the air box by undoing the snap clips and pulling off the breather clamp and hose on the front right side of the air box lid. The foam piece goes over the end of that breather hose. you then remove the six bolts that are located around the velocity stacks that are located inside the air box. There is crankcase breather tube on the bottom left side of the air box that you remove and pull the air box out.install the new air filter body and attach it with the 1 screw. Use the new hose to replace the shorter crankcase breather hose. it attaches to the 90 degree fitting on the side of the new air stacks.Then you put the air filter on and tight the clamp. It takes less than a hour to do.

Oh yea, the color of the new air filter body dependeds on which production run you got. 1st were gold 2nd were red and the last couple were black. Let me know if you have any more questions or need help. Getting the top of the air box off is the hardest part. You have to lift up on it to get it past the top of the velocity stacks.

Thank You
    I may try it. Do you know what I can use to clean it and how to oil it. I watched a video on how to install the kewl filter. In thevideo they put the foam piece over a valve up towards the handbars and connected the breather tube to something.

Spyder Garage

That is the rubber hose that attaches to the top right front of the air box lid.You can remove the hose completely and attach the foam directly to the valve. The filter element is made by UNI filters and you can buy a cleaning and oiling kit on line. I believe Dennis
    Kirk sells one.

The air filter up grade is easy. Wait till you find the post about putting audiovox electronic cruise control on. First one I did took 10 hours. I can do it in about three now.

arntufun

There is a link at the bottom of my post with videos that should help you get an idea how to remove the airbox along with other things to help you with your 08.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    There is a link at the bottom of my post with videos that should help you get an idea how to remove the airbox along with other things to help you with your 08.
    Wow Thank you very much. These videos are great. I think I have only one more question. On one of the videos I saw they put a small amount of high temp rtv gasket maker between the bottom plate and throttle body. What do you think. I know DrewNJ said that there should be o rings.

Spyder Garage

Default FINISHED

Hi again.
    Thank You to all who helped me with this mod. I really appreciate it. I got it done yesterday and it sounds nice. The video was a big help and it was not very hard to remove the stock air box. The O-rings on the stock air box did not fit. They were to big. I did not put anything between the adapter and throttle body but I will keep an eye on it. Now I am not to afraid of working on the bike. You folks are very helpful and hopefully I can help someone in the future

Thanks Again
    Marc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice work Marc!

Spyder Garage

That looks sweet
    Grandpa Pete
    Peter & Kim Pontinen
    2020 RTL Dark Marsala