Thread: backup battery?

Spyder Garage

Default backup battery?

I am so tired of my battery dieing if I forget to leave the tender plugged in (and I seem to forget A LOT)....
    Question: Is it a crazy idea to keep a backup battery in the trunk plugged in? I'm thinking they would run in series, is that correct?

Spyder Bytes: Kury ISO Grips, GL1500 Windshield Vent w/ accent, Heel-Toe Shifter(inspectorgadget), HMT Brake Light, 12v outlet in frunk, GPS-Phone mount w/ case(techmounts.com), seat seal, Right Side Grill Covers(customdynamics.com), Fan Can10(ISCIrides.com), CAT Shields(SpyderPops.com), Elka Shocks, PressurePro TPMS, Cobra CB....and of course Cup Holders(mycupholders.com)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2Gunns View Post
    I am so tired of my battery dieing if I forget to leave the tender plugged in (and I seem to forget A LOT)....
    Question: Is it a crazy idea to keep a backup battery in the trunk plugged in? I'm thinking they would run in series, is that correct?

get one of these and keep it in your trunk. No need to keep it plugged in, just recharge after you use it.

go to amazon .com and type in anti gravity battery

Cruzr Joe
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 03-13-2014 at 10:15 AM.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Your battery should not die that easily. I don't know how long you leave it sit, but it should last a couple of months. Do you have some thing that is drawing power while the bike is off? How old is the battery, it maybe getting weak and not taking a full charge any more, or able to hold it. You could keep a spare plugged in but if something is drawing down your existing, it will take the spare with it , the time might be a bit longer. I have mine set up with a plug so when I drive in to the garage, I just plug in the charger.
    Last edited by edmarino; 03-13-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Spyder Garage

this battery is less than a year old (2nd since 2010)...sat two weeks this time, but it will do the same if it sits a week. has always done this, even with original battery. when I ride it daily, no issues, only if I let it sit several days without the tender
    Last edited by 2Gunns; 03-13-2014 at 10:44 AM.

Spyder Bytes: Kury ISO Grips, GL1500 Windshield Vent w/ accent, Heel-Toe Shifter(inspectorgadget), HMT Brake Light, 12v outlet in frunk, GPS-Phone mount w/ case(techmounts.com), seat seal, Right Side Grill Covers(customdynamics.com), Fan Can10(ISCIrides.com), CAT Shields(SpyderPops.com), Elka Shocks, PressurePro TPMS, Cobra CB....and of course Cup Holders(mycupholders.com)

Spyder Garage

this battery is less than a year old (2nd since 2010)...sat two weeks this time, but it will do the same if it sits a week. has always done this, even with original battery. when I ride it daily, no issues, only if I let it sit several days without the tender

I would check the battery connections for corrosion and then i would check the battery for a dead cell, it should not go down that easy unless you take a lot of short 5, 10 minute rides and the battery doe's not have enough time to recharge

Disclaimer: as with all my advice it comes with a double your money guarantee

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Bad idea, in my opinion, and it would take two brand new, identical, matched batteries since the weaker one will always pull down the stronger one. I don't know if an isolator would allow you to use both for starting. As Roger said, and I emphasize, connect in parallel - not series! You do not want to run 24 volts to your system. You would be better off just carrying around a jumper pack. Personally, I'd just past a note to my mirror to remind me about the charger...or put something you need to take in the house each time into the rear trunk, so when you open thew trunk you are reminded to plug in the charger.

Your battery should not run down that quickly. A number of owners had that problem with the early RTs and it was traced to excessive parasitic loss by the radio (or sometimes other systems). BRP issued either a service bulletin or knowledge base article on the problem. I'd take it to your dealer to have the amp draw when it is turned off checked, and any circuit drawing an excess identified. You may need a new audio system.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

It sounds like you definately have something that is drawing current while the Spyder is parked. Do you have any aftermarket accessories on it? Vehicle Alarm System? If you do, disable/disconnect them from the fuse panel/battery, then see if you have any issues. If not, then take it to the dealer to have them find out what is leaking power. You don't want to have to keep dealing with that. I wouldn't feel comfortable even taking an overnight trip with an issue like that.
    -Texas

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the advice, that's why I love this forum....you guys have come thru for me again. I will pass on my dual battery idea and have my dealer keep it an extra day or so to check this out on my next service

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the advice, that's why I love this forum....you guys have come thru for me again. I will pass on my dual battery idea and have my dealer keep it an extra day or so to check this out on my next service
    Good Luck!

Please let us know what they find!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Also in the camp where it sounds like something is draining the battery.

Never had a problem with batteries dying on any of my Spyders. This is the year to replace the battery on my 2010--coming up on its fourth year in service on the original battery. No warning signs about bad battery--just replacing to be safe.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Basically the same issue I had until I put it in Neutral before turning the engine off. Had not had any battery problem since. Must be an excessive power draw when shifting from 1st gear to neutral when starting

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    To further beat a dead horse I would say that if anyone decided to do it you would beed a battery isolator too.
    I'm looking to carry a second battery in my trailer to power a CPAP at night and charge it from the bike during the day. Two cautions I figured out. First, like you said use a battery isolator to keep either unit, in my case the trailer load or bike, from discharging both batteries. Second, even if you use an isolator make sure it doesn't have an option to feed back to the other battery for starting, UNLESS you have heavy, as in 6 or 4 gauge, wire connecting the two. If they are cross connected with something like 12 gauge wire and the backup battery starts to feed the starter you will have one hot burned up mess on your hands!
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I don't remember exactly without looking it up in the manual, but if you are hearing a high pitched sound after the bike is turned off it's something in the fuel system holding throttle plates open, I think. It lasts for about 40 minutes, then turns off. I suppose in the OP's machine it's possible that item may not be shutting off like it's supposed to and that would run a battery down in short order.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Odyssey PC680 battery holds charge better than stock battery

The Osyssey PC680 battery is a military grade battery for 2010-2012 Spyder RT, that holds a charge much longer than stock battery.
    To me it was worth the extra money spent & not worry about a dead battery.
    I then ran #8 hd wire to rear storage trunk hooked up to stock battery, (with isolator in between in the left 2011 RT side case).
    (Like Lamont did to his RT).
    Isolator allowed rear battery to charge after Odyssey was fully charge.
    Bottom line: never needed backup stock battery in 2 1/2 years, 22,000 miles.
    The Odyssey worked great all the time.
    Like others said you may have a drain from the radio, as BRP replaced a bunch of radios because of that.
    Maybe try pulling fuse for radio and see if your stock battery holds charge longer.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

This is an interesting thread because our RT (2012) would run the battery down when not riding regular every couple of days. We had left our key in the ignition at that time. Then I read something on this site stating the key in the ignition, or in close prox of the Spyder continues to draw power because it senses the key. I started taking the key in the house after that and did not see as much drain of the battery. Maybe this was just coincidence????
    2012 RT Limited: Utopia back rest, SealBoards, and Shark bluetooth communicators on VCAN Woody helmets.

Spyder Garage

If you know someone with a clamp on DC Ampmeter it is a fairly easy test. With the bike switched off, clamp the meter on the battery positive wire. There should be at least a small amount of discharge for some memory functions, but anything larger needs to be figured out. You can narrow things down by pulling fuses until you isolate which circuit is pulling the most current.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had a Chevy Impala that did the same thing If I did not drive it for 3 weeks (business trips, etc), the battery would run down. The dealer could never find the issue. New battery, and multiple trips. I even had 1 mechanic tell me that it was normal I had to educate him on the fact that batteries are designed to generate electricity when the are not in use, not drain it. When in my youth I left the lights on in the car, if I let it sit for a few hours I had enough juice to start the car.

I agree, that there is something that is de-activating when the ignition is turned off. Maybe security, maybe radio.

I hope you find the issue quickly.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

If you call Pitbull they have a killer battery backup that will start a dead car 20 times before needing charging. I carry that one with me.
    PitBull Phone: (417) 863-1418

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    get one of these and keep it in your trunk. No need to keep it plugged in, just recharge after you use it.

go to amazon .com and type in anti gravity battery

Cruzr Joe
    How do you hook up that anti gravity battery up to your bike? and which anti gravity battery is that?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    If you call Pitbull they have a killer battery backup that will start a dead car 20 times before needing charging. I carry that one with me.
    PitBull Phone: (417) 863-1418
    I was just going to post something like this. I already have mine on order and I will keep it in my trunk. Just in case it is ever needed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

Never had a problem with batteries dying on any of my Spyders. This is the year to replace the battery on my 2010--coming up on its fourth year in service on the original battery. No warning signs about bad battery--just replacing to be safe.
    I'm still on the original battery as well on my 2010 and have never had an issue other than checking the tightness on the connections bout once a year. I also utilize a tender most of the time. Gonna replace in a few weeks just for piece of mind.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I have a small solar array mounted in the back (my RT is a single seat with a covered storage compartment in the passenger seat).
    The array is connected to a solar charge controller and that is connected to a portable battery pack.
    I use it to keep my phone and laptop charged on long trips.

Can you send a photo of that set up?
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Silvervette05 View Post
    How do you hook up that anti gravity battery up to your bike? and which anti gravity battery is that?

it is the PPS model and i don't have it hooked to my Spyder, i have it in the luggage compartment in case i need to jump start the bike if necessary, it has regular jump start clips and works like a dream, also will charge cell phones, ipads etc.

www.antigravitybatteries.com

Micro Start Jump Starters.

Cruzr Joe
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 03-14-2014 at 09:57 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Joe--just bought one today from Pitbull Powersports

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    it is the PPS model and i don't have it hooked to my Spyder, i have it in the luggage compartment in case i need to jump start the bike if necessary, it has regular jump start clips and works like a dream, also will charge cell phones, ipads etc.

www.antigravitybatteries.com

Micro Start Jump Starters.

Cruzr Joe
    Thanks Joe!

Just bought one of the Anti-Gravity one's while I was at Pitbull Powersports today. They have two different brands, but I seemed to like the Anti-Gravity one a little better and went with your recommendation and think it is an awesome product and idea. Can use it for the boat, Spyder, Cars, Truck--think everything except my John Deere Diesel Tractor.

So compact and lightweight---far far better then most of the larger, heavier battery jump starters you see around. This just makes sense and what a relief if the batter fails to start the Spyder someday, whip this out, hook it up, fire it up and away you go. Even if something gets left on or drains the battery----you are covered! $140 to $159 isn't that bad--will hold a charge for over a year. WOW! Plus you can charge up other things---and has a bright flashlight too.

Thank you again Joe for your insights and thoughts----This is GREAT!

2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    Thanks Joe!

Just bought one of the Anti-Gravity one's while I was at Pitbull Powersports today. They have two different brands, but I seemed to like the Anti-Gravity one a little better and went with your recommendation and think it is an awesome product and idea. Can use it for the boat, Spyder, Cars, Truck--think everything except my John Deere Diesel Tractor.

So compact and lightweight---far far better then most of the larger, heavier battery jump starters you see around. This just makes sense and what a relief if the batter fails to start the Spyder someday, whip this out, hook it up, fire it up and away you go. Even if something gets left on or drains the battery----you are covered! $140 to $159 isn't that bad--will hold a charge for over a year. WOW! Plus you can charge up other things---and has a bright flashlight too.

Thank you again Joe for your insights and thoughts----This is GREAT!

I am glad that Len At Pitbull is carrying them, they are truly worth the price.

Cruzr Joe