Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Breakaway floorboards work and are needed

I got to see it in action on my 2014 RTS. I was making a right and there was traffic coming the other way but there was time to jump out there. A red car in front of me hit the gas and I did too looking at the truck that was coming. Had plenty of time but the gal in front of me changed her mind and when I turned my head there she was stopped.
    I slammed on the brakes and the floorboard broke away and I was able to get that extra amount of peddle I needed to stop the Spyder. Freaked me out but I was thankful that feature was added and now I know it is needed. Good job BRP!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good to hear you did not wreck. Sounds like that could have ended bad.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I got to see it in action on my 2014 RTS. I was making a right and there was traffic coming the other way but there was time to jump out there. A red car in front of me hit the gas and I did too looking at the truck that was coming. Had plenty of time but the gal in front of me changed her mind and when I turned my head there she was stopped.
    I slammed on the brakes and the floorboard broke away and I was able to get that extra amount of peddle I needed to stop the Spyder. Freaked me out but I was thankful that feature was added and now I know it is needed. Good job BRP!
    Very glad you are alright. Your family does not need to go thru anymore motorcycle accidents. Keep that angel on your shoulders.

Spyder Garage

I don't think I would have gotten hurt but the Spyder would not have been happy

Sent from my iPhone 5
    using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad to hear the BRP has come up with another good safety feature for our bikes!

And I'm double-glad to hear that it was only an. "Almost"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Also glad to hear your highway pegs were able to

drop along with the floorboard, a real world product test accomplished...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm really glad you (and your Spyder) were not hurt . . .
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default Got to move the pedal up a bit

That is the reason I added this pedal spacer when I mounted my aftermarket floorboards. You need to have some emergency pedal travel.

BRP did it better but this works for me.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Another Great reason the 2014's are fantastic machines. My dealer pointed out the breakaway floorboards on mine when I picked it up. Hope I never have to see how good they work but at least they do the job that was intended.

Ron

Spyder Garage

I'm so glad the drop down worked for you and thankful that you showed me the purpose of the breakaway floorboard at your BBQ last summer. Just another example of a man who has the answer to all things Spyder. Penny

Spyder Garage

Happy that it worked for you.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's to hoping that we never have to find out just how well they work!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Glad everything worked out well! Tom

Spyder Garage

Default Seal DLX

I have the Seal RT SE5 DLX Floor Boards. They are delivered with a spacer that raises the break pedal. Ever since I have installed them I have wondered if I have enough brake travel distance to totally lock up or not. I have had to stop pretty quickly and all works well, but in an all out emergency situation I am not sure. Has anyone had that experience with the Seal RT SE5 DLX Floor Boards?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now iron go out the crease in the seat

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear your safe Lamont and good on BRP for continuing to make a safe machine safer!!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R30SHIRE View Post
    Another Great reason the 2014's are fantastic machines. My dealer pointed out the breakaway floorboards on mine when I picked it up. Hope I never have to see how good they work but at least they do the job that was intended.

Ron
    This feature was also avalable on the 2013's. My ST Limited has it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by georam View Post
    I have the Seal RT SE5 DLX Floor Boards. They are delivered with a spacer that raises the break pedal. Ever since I have installed them I have wondered if I have enough brake travel distance to totally lock up or not. I have had to stop pretty quickly and all works well, but in an all out emergency situation I am not sure. Has anyone had that experience with the Seal RT SE5 DLX Floor Boards?
    I got the full size pedal and Seal Dlx boards. Between the 2 of them if I stand up on the pedal I have 1/4- 1/2" clearance between the pedal and board.

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear all is well.

Spyder Garage

Default seals work

Had to apply emergency corrective action while riding my rt w sealboards not a problem. After employing my choice word program and checking the condition of my seat and shorts(due to the autonomic nervous system scare response) all was well. no worries with the sealboards and brake spacer.

Spyder Garage

Default spacer

FYI - for those that purchased the seal floorboard (long ones), before October 2013 ( I think) you will need to check out your brake pedal spacer. it needs to be 1 1/2" and thicker NOT the 7/8 that it
    came with at that time. I came close to rear ending a nice big azz truck , because my pedal slammed flushed to my board and was still rolling. done the emergency ballerina toe act to stop..it.

I did informed seal floorboard mfg. here on SL. hopely he informed everyone...so like I said FYI to all.

Spyder Garage

So, what does it take to put it back on? Do you have to put a new one on? Is it 'broken' when it 'breaks away'?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazyspyder View Post
    FYI - for those that purchased the seal floorboard (long ones), before October 2013 ( I think) you will need to check out your brake pedal spacer. it needs to be 1 1/2" and thicker NOT the 7/8 that it
    came with at that time. I came close to rear ending a nice big azz truck , because my pedal slammed flushed to my board and was still rolling. done the emergency ballerina toe act to stop..it.

I did informed seal floorboard mfg. here on SL. hopely he informed everyone...so like I said FYI to all.
    I believe Seal now includes the brake pedal spacer with the floorboards. I have a set on both 's and the elevated brake pedals with spacers.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you for posting the beta test information on the break away floorboards.

Very glad you got through the incident without any problems.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-14-2014 at 01:39 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    So, what does it take to put it back on? Do you have to put a new one on? Is it 'broken' when it 'breaks away'?
    Grab the front with your hand and lift. It will snap back into place ready for your next adventure!!!

2018 F3 LIMITED