Spyder Garage

Default Clutch Fulid Reservoir Level Question

I had trouble right at the end of riding season last year as far as clutch disengaging and the Dealer told me to bring it in Spring time for a look.

Well I pulled reservoir cover last night and found that the fluid was almost completely gone.

I added some Dot 4 about half way up and tested clutch action and seemed to work as it should.

Is there an issue on 2013's for leaks in this system?

Anybody else have this happen?

Spyder Garage

Leaks are not normal, and I have not heard of difficulties with the 2013s. There has been some deterioration of the slave cylinder o-rings on the earlier RTs, and a few other slave cylinder difficulties, but those would be unlikely for a Spyder so new. I'm guessing an o-ring was nicked during assembly. That is just an educated guess, though. Your dealer should take a look under warranty.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default clutch fluid

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I had trouble right at the end of riding season last year as far as clutch disengaging and the Dealer told me to bring it in Spring time for a look.

Well I pulled reservoir cover last night and found that the fluid was almost completely gone.

I added some Dot 4 about half way up and tested clutch action and seemed to work as it should.

Is there an issue on 2013's for leaks in this system?

Anybody else have this happen?
    I have a 2010 RTS sm5 and I had to add fluid for same reason in 2012, working fine now since 2012, It has a small reservoir and I didn't find any leaks.
    plan on checking it at next oil chg and on reg. basis..

Freebob...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Leaks are not normal, and I have not heard of difficulties with the 2013s. There has been some deterioration of the slave cylinder o-rings on the earlier RTs, and a few other slave cylinder difficulties, but those would be unlikely for a Spyder so new. I'm guessing an o-ring was nicked during assembly. That is just an educated guess, though. Your dealer should take a look under warranty.
    Thanks!

Lou

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by freebob View Post
    I have a 2010 RTS sm5 and I had to add fluid for same reason in 2012, working fine now since 2012, It has a small reservoir and I didn't find any leaks.
    plan on checking it at next oil chg and on reg. basis..

Freebob...
    Thanks!

Going to keep an eye on it for sure!