Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RTS Muffler Rattle at idle

Hello

I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem i am having. i have a 2010 RTS. took her out this afternoon for the first time this year after a brutal winter in northern Wisconsin with 50 plus days below zero. I stored her in a heated garage all winter. after taking her out for a 50 mile ride when i returned she had a significant rattle( kinda like rocks in an empty beer can) in the muffle canister at idle. gets better and goes away with higher RPM's The bike only has 5000 miles on her. just wondering if the muffler is going bad i got her last year with 1800 miles on her. any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Some have had the internal baffles come loose. There is another possible cause. I have had mice build nests in there during storage and their seed hulls and fruit pits make a heck of a rattle.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input. Hmmm I just went back out and started her up again and its gone. Does this still sound like a baffle problem.

Spyder Garage

Default Rattle

I have a rattle on my RTS. I though it was coming from the muffler. Only heard it when I was running at low speed. It wasn't the muffler. There is a plate that bolts to the end of the frame that the rear axle goes thought. The bolts had worked loose causing the plates to rattle in the frame.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You've got the end cap, and heat shield that bolt on...
    I'd check them for tightness first.
    You could always pull the muffler off, and give it a couple of real good shakes...
    I believe that there's only about three bolts securing it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black