Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool 2011 RTL Radiator Reseverivor Check

The last ride taken I was rather taken by the fact that the heat gage needle was a needle width higher then normal. So this morning after my morning out of the house run in the Silverado I started the process of checking the radiator water levels.

got the Owners Manual out and read it, located the access panel. Got past that hurdle, Found the plastic tank. However, it is no where near where the OM says it should be or where I would have put it for owners conveince.

I struggled 30 minutes just getting the radiator cap off. Stuck my finger in and came out dry.

The next challenge was to fabricate a funnel to fit in that 1 inch space available. Use two half inch PVC elbows and six inch PVC pipe. Put the elbows on opposite each other and get your mat to hold or pour while your watch the levels come up. I used a Mini-Mag light but it was difficult so we're not right on.

I added a "wetter water" snake oil additive while I was at it because as difficult as it to just check the level let alone add some it maybe six months before I do it again.

During our Tuesday BW 2014 excursions around Daytona Beach I started to notice some serious temperature decreases. By serious I mean a whole 1 whole set of white blocks on the OEM analog temperature gauge. Normal running temperate the needle is at 3 o'clock now it is at 5 o'clock. After sitting in stop n go traffic it would go just below the Red Block now it goes between 1 & 2 o'clock (about half way between the block just below the red danger block. I am impressed with the results!
    Last edited by Bob Ledford; 03-12-2014 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Added additional information and results of work performed

Spyder Garage

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Arrow

If you have a small shop vac the hard plastic extension will work.

Best view. Take the rt side (same as oil panel) off and shine a light from the front of the tank.

If you think the cap was hard to get off. You're in for a bigger treat putting it back on.

PM me and I'll share a trick.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Your level may not actually have been low. A finger stuck in the hole may not contact water at the proper level. If you shine a strong light on the tank you can see the level better. It helps to remove the right front side panel.

Be sure you tighten the cap to the second detent or it can overflow when hot. It is hard enough to turn it to the first detent (notch) in that tight space, let alone the second.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Especially us old guys with big hands and arthritis. BRP didn't do us any favors.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards