Spyder Garage

Default Where to check fluids

Hi all
    As the riding season is approaching and a first year owner. Can anyone tell me what fluids to check? I know engine oil. Clutch, brake, and antifreeze. Anything I am missing and the big question is where to check all of these except the oil.
    Thanks. Sorry for the dumb questions

Spyder Garage

Do you have an owners' manual? The information you need should be in there, with some pictures. If you don't have one, they can be downloaded from the Can-Am site at the Owner's Center.

The oil is checked at the oil tank on the left side. It should be checked at full operating temperature, preferably after a ride.
    The clutch fluid is checked at the window on the clutch master cylinder, for your particular model.
    The brake fluid is checked at the brake reservoir on the right side, under the seat.
    The coolant is checked at the coolant tank, beneath the bodywork on the right side behind the trunk. You should be able to check it by opening the trunk and removing the right side access panel.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Do you have an owners' manual? The information you need should be in there, with some pictures. If you don't have one, they can be downloaded from the Can-Am site at the Owner's Center.

The oil is checked at the oil tank on the left side. It should be checked at full operating temperature, preferably after a ride.
    The clutch fluid is checked at the window on the clutch master cylinder, for your particular model.
    The brake fluid is checked at the brake reservoir on the right side, under the seat.
    The coolant is checked at the coolant tank, beneath the bodywork on the right side behind the trunk. You should be able to check it by opening the trunk and removing the right side access panel.
    Good info. Something I have found that makes checking the coolant easier (2012 RT) is to check it via the right wheel well. You will need a flashlight but you can all but the very top of the coolant reservoir from there. You may have to reach up and grab the handlebar in order to rock the Spyder. Putting the flashlight right up against the reservoir works too. It is easier that removing the panel inside the frunk. However I believe the person asking the question owns a 2008 RS. I believe the reservoir is assessable and visible on 08's and 09's without removing anything.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    Good info. Something I have found that makes checking the coolant easier (2012 RT) is to check it via the right wheel well. You will need a flashlight but you can all but the very top of the coolant reservoir from there. You may have to reach up and grab the handlebar in order to rock the Spyder. Putting the flashlight right up against the reservoir works too. It is easier that removing the panel inside the frunk. However I believe the person asking the question owns a 2008 RS. I believe the reservoir is assessable and visible on 08's and 09's without removing anything.
    I probably should proof read my posts before I hit 'submit.' Corrections to my post above: Add 'see' as in "You will need a flashlight but you can see all but..." Also the word 'that' should have read 'than' as in "It is easier than..." Sorry about that.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Where to check fluids

I have a 58 GS and checked the oil and coolant yesterday,if you open the frunk there's a plastic panel under the wind shield that pulls off easily so you can check your coolant brake fluid is under the seat behind the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ....................SCOTLAND...................... ...
    ...............08 GS...................

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
    I have a 58 GS and checked the oil and coolant yesterday,if you open the frunk there's a plastic panel under the wind shield that pulls off easily so you can check your coolant brake fluid is under the seat behind the battery.

One thinks MrBlonde should also ''proof'' read his posts, or was it just a ''bolnde'' moment. A 58 GS ???

Spyder Garage

Default Fluids

Thanks all. I checked them last night. I think I got them all brake fluid, engine oil, clutch fluid, antifreeze, and headlight fluid. The antifreeze is really hard to see. I tried a flashlight and still had a hardtime seeing it. I finally put a antifreeze tester in and measured from the top to the coolant level. The headlight fluid was a little low. I could not find that anywhere. Finally found it at Oreillys. $15 a gallon for that stuff. Its wierd because they brought it from the back in a regular jug. They said they only order it in big barrels and sell it like that. Oh well it worked.
    Thanks all

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clogwog View Post
    One thinks MrBlonde should also ''proof'' read his posts, or was it just a ''bolnde'' moment. A 58 GS ???
    It's a classic!
    What a minute
    Did you proofread yours?

I'm more than guilty of putting a few errors out here in the forums myself...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ha ha AGAIN in the uk we have 2 new registrations in a year mine is the second in 2008 hence 58 plate :L ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394552245.562794.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

A 58 GS ???
    The numbers '58' refer to his licence plate number. A vehicle registered in 2008 will be either
    an 08 for the first half of the year or 58 for the second half of the year.
    It's a British 'thing'!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Not this time but the Blonde moments WILL COME :L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Fun; isn't it?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unintended audience ???