Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tri-axis install / Air box removal tip

Tore my spyder down this weekend to get my Tri-axis bars installed. With the bike apart I think I discovered exactly how to get the air box out in one piece (13 model). Looks like if you remove the dash pod it would be easy to get it out. Turns out that these bikes are assembled in sub-sections and it makes it easy to get whole assemblies off completely intact. The complete dash pod is only held on with 4 screws and 3 wiring connectors and the headlight adjustment cables. Oh, the Tri-axis bars are really worth the money so if your on the fence go for it you will like them!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

3 Wheel,

Did you need to remove the front assembly to install the handle bars? I have a set to install on my 14 when I pick it up. I asked the dealer how much $ to install as he assembles my new And was quoted $350.00 so I will be doing it.
    Any tips?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I would the $350. My buddy said it took 8 hrs.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Default Wow

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    3 Wheel,

Did you need to remove the front assembly to install the handle bars? I have a set to install on my 14 when I pick it up. I asked the dealer how much $ to install as he assembles my new And was quoted $350.00 so I will be doing it.
    Any tips?

My dealer is not charging any extra to install the Tri Axis handle bars while doing the bike assembly.
    He will charge full install post assembly which is understandable.
    I would ask him again.

Spyder Garage

Mine charged me $220 for the install. I think it was 3.5 hours labor. Tom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    3 Wheel,

Any tips?
    Yes you have to remove that whole top module. It really is not hat hard though. I think the flat rate for the install of the bars is 3.5 hrs. It only took me about 5 hours and I don't have a service manual so I would have to check online sometimes to find out exactly what had to come off. One you get into it the spyder is really not hard to work on at all. They have done a good job of making everything come off in sections and only a few bolts and some wiring connectors have to be undone.
    The front trunk section.... 6 bolts, and 6 or 8 (depending on options) wiring connectors, 1 cable for compartment is all for that.
    Glove box section .... 4 bolts, 1 wiring connector, 1 cable for compartment lock.
    Dash/headlight section... 4 bolts, 2 headlight adjustment cables, 3 electrical connectors.
    Of course you have to remove all the exterior panels first and that is the hard part.
    The only thing I found to be tricky was the bezel around the key switch. The instructions that come with the bars show you just turning the bezel counterclockwise and removing it. That is NOT the case! The bezel has locking tabs that are not easy to release but it can be done, you have to lift those tabs slightly and then turn the bezel to get it off.
    Last edited by 3 Wheel Addict; 03-16-2014 at 02:07 PM.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Question

Hi all,
    I'm glad I found this web site.
    I should be taking delivery of my new '14 RT-S this week.
    When I purchased it, I negotiated included install of the Tri Axis Handlebars.
    One dealer hear said you have to reroute the wiring for the this which is the hardest part. I didn't go with that dealer but a different one. But the Spyder tech said it can take up to 5.0 hours. Plus they charged $110 per hour.

I would like to know what Mods/aftermarket mounts can work with these Tri Axis Handlebars?
    I want to use my smartphone which has GPS built in instead of the expensive BRP option with a Garmin. And maybe add a can holder.
    Andy S. a.k.a. SpyderRT

2014 Black RT-S with SE6, Tri-Axis handlebars, Rear Trunk liner and shelf, Travel Cover, Heated Comfort seat, Driver Backrest, Akrapovic Silencer, 25 inch Adjustable Vent windshield, Adjustable Side Wind deflectors. BajaRon Swaybar and links. KOTT grills.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    I would the $350. My buddy said it took 8 hrs.
    I do repairs (autos & motorcycles) on the side and I charge $25.00 an hour so if I pay myself for this it would have to take over 14 hours for this to be worth it.
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    Yes you have to remove that whole top module. It really is not hat hard though. I think the flat rate for the install of the bars is 3.5 hrs. It only took me about 5 hours and I don't have a service manual so I would have to check online sometimes to find out exactly what had to come off. One you get into it the spyder is really not hard to work on at all. They have done a good job of making everything come off in sections and only a few bolts and some wiring connectors have to be undone.
    The front trunk section.... 6 bolts, and 6 or 8 (depending on options) wiring connectors, 1 cable for compartment is all for that.
    Glove box section .... 4 bolts, 1 wiring connector, 1 cable for compartment lock.
    Dash/headlight section... 4 bolts, 2 headlight adjustment cables, 3 electrical connectors.
    Of course you have to remove all the exterior panels first and that is the hard part.
    The only thing I found to be tricky was the bezel around the key switch. The instructions that come with the bars show you just turning the bezel counterclockwise and removing it. That is NOT the case! The bezel has locking tabs that are not easy to release but it can be done, you have to lift those tabs slightly and then turn the bezel to get it off.
    Thanks for the tips!
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRT View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm glad I found this web site.
    I should be taking delivery of my new '14 RT-S this week.
    When I purchased it, I negotiated included install of the Tri Axis Handlebars.
    One dealer hear said you have to reroute the wiring for the this which is the hardest part. I didn't go with that dealer but a different one. But the Spyder tech said it can take up to 5.0 hours. Plus they charged $110 per hour.

I would like to know what Mods/aftermarket mounts can work with these Tri Axis Handlebars?
    I want to use my smartphone which has GPS built in instead of the expensive BRP option with a Garmin. And maybe add a can holder.
    You will find very little in the way of "mounts" that fit the bars on a spyder RT because of the weirdly shaped bars. Most use a RAM mount and put things on the dash. I bought a RAM mount and moved my GPS there and it's way easier to see than down on the bars. Do a search for RAM mounts and you should come up with several ideas.........
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE