Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Fair disclosure here,I have not seen a new rt, but are you sure it is a torx on the drain plug?

Many owners of previous RT models thought it was a torx and it wasn't (allen).
    Being that the bolt is underneath the RT, and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, I tried both metric and SAE allen wrenches, but they wouldn't fit. I can also say that the other drain plug is definitely a T45, so it wouldn't make sense to me that they would make one an allen, and the other a torx.
    -Texas

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Fair disclosure here,I have not seen a new rt, but are you sure it is a torx on the drain plug?

Many owners of previous RT models thought it was a torx and it wasn't (allen).

Roger, it sure is a torx. I didn't believe it either and tried various hex wrenches; none fit. Once I finally got the "t40" out it was evident that it is a Torx. By my trying to make a hex fit, I think I may have stretched it a little but in putting it back it tightened nicely.

Then I had the pleasure of draining the oil a second time as I inadvertently put in 20-50!
    The second time I used the torx 40 to remove and later replace.

I think BRP likes to keep us guessing...........
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

FYI 36mm socket also removes the rear axle nut.

Spyder Garage

Default oil change

Nice Job
    How many miles did you have on it?
    2015 RTS Ltd Spyderpops bumpskid, Dual Isci Hand Brake ,Baker Wind Wings

2016 Polaris Slingshot SL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Omcge View Post
    Nice Job
    I did mine at 1500.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Omcge View Post
    Nice Job
    Just over 1,000 miles.
    -Texas

Spyder Garage

What oil did you use ...

... 5W40 as specified

... BRP

... or another brand ?

- Bob

2014 Spyder Ltd. Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeBob View Post
    What oil did you use ...

... 5W40 as specified

... BRP

... or another brand ?

I only use Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic.
    -Texas

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texas View Post
    I only use Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic.
    Texas, would you do us a favor and have it lab tested when you hit 4,000 miles, or thereabouts? It would be great to see how the viscosity holds up as that oil is readily avail everywhere and relatively inexpensive.

A lot of big bikers use Rotella T5, 15-40, with excellent results. Most of us were leery of using these oils in our 998's due to a couple of reports of clutch slipping.

I'll lab test the Castrol blend I have in mine if I can get at least 3K miles on it before I leave for Spyderfest in late April. I want to have Amsoil and filter in before I go for the long haul.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Texas, would you do us a favor and have it lab tested when you hit 4,000 miles, or thereabouts? It would be great to see how the viscosity holds up as that oil is readily avail everywhere and relatively inexpensive.

A lot of big bikers use Rotella T5, 15-40, with excellent results. Most of us were leery of using these oils in our 998's due to a couple of reports of clutch slipping.

I'll lab test the Castrol blend I have in mine if I can get at least 3K miles on it before I leave for Spyderfest in late April. I want to have Amsoil and filter in before I go for the long haul.
    From the Owner's Manual:
    "Use the XPS 4-STROKE SYNTH. BLEND OIL (SUMMER) (P/N 293 600121) or a 5W40 semi-synthetic (minimum) or synthetic motorcycle oil meeting the requirements for API service SL, SJ, SH, SG or higher classification. Always check the API service label on the oil container."

Rotella T6 Specs:
    API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, SM, SL, SH; ACEA E9; Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-2; Cummins CES 20081; DDC 93K218; Ford WSS M2C171-E; JASO DH-2, MA; Mack EO-O Premium Plus; MB Approval 228.31; Volvo VDS-4

http://s02.static-shell.com/content/...6-brochure.pdf - Has a lot of great information about Rotella T6

I'll let you know if I experience any clutch slipping. I'm not going to recommend any one oil over another; as I know that a lot of people can take oil discussions to the extreme. This being said, I've been using this oil in all of my vehicles for the past few years with no issues, so I will continue to use it.
    Last edited by Texas; 03-15-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    -Texas

Spyder Garage

Default Baker Bilt

Hello MurphyBrown,

I noticed in your info piece about your '14 RT, White Knight (that was the name, btw, of the White GL1800 I traded for my new '14 RT) that you listed Baker Bilt in your equipment listing. Is that Baker Bilt Wind WIngs? If YES, how do you like them? I had them on my GL1800 and liked them a lot.

Regards,
    Patrick H

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    I was very impressed with your step by step directions and pics. I read every word and at the first "pick up tool". I made decision...yep this is a dealer service for me .. Probably be prudent to have plastic handy as my quick calculations says if I get out for $200 plus oil (which I provide-AMSOIL fan that I am) I will 'feel' OK...how long did it take..kinda want to estimate shop hrs...I realllly love surprises BUT not when it comes to my budget...thanks again.

Spyder Garage

Default 36mm socket

Hello Bobbobtar,

Is that 36mm socket a 6 point? or a 12 point socket?

Regards, PatrickH

Quote Originally Posted by bobbobtar View Post
    FYI 36mm socket also removes the rear axle nut.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the instructions Texas! Definitely saving this for future ref.

Spyder Garage

Default Nicely done..!!

the good thing is if you have to get the 36mm socket you now can adjust the belt as well... Seems like a spin on filter would be the way to go..??
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I prefer two 36mm wrenches (I bought 1 and cut it in half). This for me makes it easier to adjust the belt and then snug down the axel. In fact the 1/2 wrenches dont give you a lot of leverage so using my full force with them almost gets me to the torque spec
    Then I use a socket with torque wrench to finish it off.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default To Texas: Thanks for the great pics and instructions! My concern...

Thanks for the great instructions on the oil change. I've done my own on other bikes and vehicles I've had and have no concern about the mechanics -- esp. after reading your details and looking at the pics.

However, I am worried that I'll damage the mirrors and/or panels when I try to take them off. It's got to be fairly simple, but I need some reassurance, I guess. Is there some kind of video that can help with that? I have the 2014 RT Limited ed. and my wife and I love it. Had it about 2 mos. and over 4000 miles on it.

Where do I find out if I have 5.2L or 4.9L? (probably some sticker somewhere). Thanks in advance

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dshack7 View Post
    Thanks for the great instructions on the oil change. I've done my own on other bikes and vehicles I've had and have no concern about the mechanics -- esp. after reading your details and looking at the pics.

However, I am worried that I'll damage the mirrors and/or panels when I try to take them off. It's got to be fairly simple, but I need some reassurance, I guess. Is there some kind of video that can help with that? I have the 2014 RT Limited ed. and my wife and I love it. Had it about 2 mos. and over 4000 miles on it.

Where do I find out if I have 5.2L or 4.9L? (probably some sticker somewhere). Thanks in advance

If your RT is a paddle shifter, then it holds 5.2. Put in 5, run motor or better yet ride it, then top off as needed.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Has anyone found a source other than BRP for the o-rings and gaskets. The filter isn't outrageous but the o-rings are.

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I plan to change my own oil after the 1st dealer service... so I went looking for a 36mm socket to fit the oil filter housing nut since I did not have one... I found one at a pawn shop.. its a Snap On ... practically brand new .. I paid $6.00 for it at a pawn shop..

OSM

Spyder Garage

The instructions and photos here are great, i printed them out and made a little booklet for further use.

Thank You

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Link?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    The instructions and photos here are great, i printed them out and made a little booklet for further use.

Thank You

Cruzr Joe
    Was there supposed to be a link added to this comment?
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Excellent step by step instructions!

I really appreciate the effort you put into your tutorial!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil change directions

This is by far the best and most informative instruction post I have seen here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hillrider View Post
    Has anyone found a source other than BRP for the o-rings and gaskets. The filter isn't outrageous but the o-rings are.

Use the O rings several times between changes. Inspect them
    each change and if there are no tears or abrasions they are still good. I plan on changing mine the next oil change.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default O-RINGS

Quote Originally Posted by hillrider View Post
    ..............................JMHO......I think just about any Auto parts store can match up your BRP " O- RINGS " , but as uflyer suggested and I do also if it's not broken or damaged re-use the old one ......But you can get one as a spare now in case you need it later ...................Mike .................................................. .............PS......You must tel them what you are using this " O " ring for so they can sell you one rated for the temps that may be encountered !!!!!!!!..............................Thanks Paul
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-09-2014 at 09:43 AM.