Spyder Garage

Default Got..C0051...U0122...C006C..on the way home

Well on the way home tonight we got the orange screen "DPS Fault" then a 100 feet later Limp Mode with the following codes.
    C0051
    U0122
    C006C

I have read the threads that have talked about similar codes. And I didn't catch the results from anyones issues reported back as the cause or fix. The last time anything was done to the Spyder was back in Nov13 when we had the laser alignment done. Other than that nothing has been done to the Spyder.

Is there connectors, and where would they be located for me to check.

I am assuming that I need to take this to the dealer correct? Any suggestions?
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    C0051,DPS, SAS adaptive fault.|Wrong steering angle sensor or alignment or improper initialization.|(B.U.D.S.)

U0122,*,Lost communication or CAN BUS (control area network) ID.|Damaged circuit wires or CAN-Bus module.|Check for VCM fault.|

C006C,ECM ,VSS CAN (control area network) rate message plausibilty error.|Communication on CAN BUS not reliable.|No external troubleshooting possible.

Taken as a whole I believe you have a bad battery connection
    Ok thanks for the info. Ill tear into it tommorrow and check the connections.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    Well on the way home tonight we got the orange screen "DPS Fault" then a 100 feet later Limp Mode with the following codes.
    C0051
    U0122
    C006C

I have read the threads that have talked about similar codes. And I didn't catch the results from anyones issues reported back as the cause or fix. The last time anything was done to the Spyder was back in Nov13 when we had the laser alignment done. Other than that nothing has been done to the Spyder.

Check the connector on the DPS unit. If that isn't the problem then you'll have to start checking all sorts of connectors under the tupperware. The 122 & 6C codes are both CAN bus communication problem codes. The 51 code has to do with the steering angle sensor and is reported to BUDS by the DPS.

Did you hit any potholes, or do any sudden sharp turns? That might have caused them. Or worse, the steering angle sensor has crapped out.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Check the connector on the DPS unit. If that isn't the problem then you'll have to start checking all sorts of connectors under the tupperware. The 122 & 6C codes are both CAN bus communication problem codes. The 51 code has to do with the steering angle sensor and is reported to BUDS by the DPS.

Did you hit any potholes, or do any sudden sharp turns? That might have caused them. Or worse, the steering angle sensor has crapped out.
    We were going pretty good around a couple of sweeping turns.

Spyder Garage

It could be a loose or corroded connector, a bad sensor, or a sensor mismatch that merely timed out on the sweeping curves. The lkatter problem is usually caused or amplified by steering sensor miscalibration. Basically the steering angle sensor and steering torque sensor don't agree due to strong side winds or long sweeping curves (usually banked considerably) and the system goes into limp mode when the allowable time period for the mismatch times out. If the problem recurs I would have your dealer zero the steering sensors on BUDS, and check the SAS function and communication at that time.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Broad sweepers have been known to "confuse" Nanny at times...
    But I'd also guess that it's a case of not enough electrical power...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Well Im gonna take a look at the battery and if all is snug there.

I guess Ill call the dealer for an appointment and get her looked at.

Thanks for the replies.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck!
    Please let us know what is found...

Oh! I know that Roger has developed a great application for Android systems...
    But since I'm a PC kind of a guy; here's where I look up codes...
    http://www.spyderhelp.com/Menu%20Pan...artMobile.aspx

Spyder Garage

Yep have the app on both of our phones. I looked them up but didnt understand a solution to them.

Spyder Garage

The secret to understanding multiple codes is to look at the sequence of the code history. Unfortuantely only the dealer can do that via BUDS.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Scotty, with respect I don't agree.
    There seems to be active codes that come in sequence and are readable on the screen.
    I can't say whether the active codes appear in sequence or in some other pre-determined order. The code that triggered the cascade may not even be active by the time you punch things up. I'd say your chances of properly interpreting multiple codes without the help of the BUDS history is 50-50 at very best...and probably much worse in many cases. Then there are the multiple codes triggered by a voltage drop...those can be almost anything. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's why my toolkit now includes a Ouija Board...

Spyder Garage

Well took it by the dealer today and they hooked it up to the laptop and pulled up the same codes that I had pulled up. None of them were active codes amd her cleared them. We will see if they stay away.

He did say that it showed a voltage drop to 7.8v at one time which he thinks that it could triggered the codes?

Spyder Garage

Well took it by the dealer today and they hooked it up to the laptop and pulled up the same codes that I had pulled up. None of them were active codes amd her cleared them. We will see if they stay away.

He did say that it showed a voltage drop to 7.8v at one time which he thinks that it could triggered the codes?

A voltage drop like that can, indeed, trigger multiple fault codes. It usually shows up as a multitude of other things, though. The low voltage reading might be related to a faulty connection, which would have also triggered some of your codes. If it happens again, check the battery connections and frame grounds, as well as the connectors at the ECM and cluster. One of them could be a little loose, and could have been jarred on a bump, losing contact.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    A voltage drop like that can, indeed, trigger multiple fault codes. It usually shows up as a multitude of other things, though. The low voltage reading might be related to a faulty connection, which would have also triggered some of your codes. If it happens again, check the battery connections and frame grounds, as well as the connectors at the ECM and cluster. One of them could be a little loose, and could have been jarred on a bump, losing contact.
    Will do, thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default got the same codes today

C0051
    U0122
    C006C

Did you get a resolution to these codes yet?
    I have been trying to look up the same 3 codes when I ran across your post. I got a limp mode and the screen flashing a DPS warning alternating with the little engine warning . I checked the codes while driving, same as yours. the screen was flashing back and forth from the pic of the handlebars to the engine warning pic. I was about 10 miles from home after a great all day ride in the West VA. mountains, Virginia and tennessee. 430 miles total. Mine is a 2010 RTS with a little over 20,000 miles on it. Today did consist of a lot of mountains and curves. the last 150 miles home was at interstate speeds above 70 mph. It also looks like the VSS light is lit up, the one that looks like a spyder swerving. It is the first time I have driven with limp mode engaged, it limits the rpms to about 3800 to 4000. that means you might do 50 mph in 5th gear, thats all it would do.

UPDATE: CODES RESET WHEN RESTARTING THE SPYDER. WENT BY THE MY DEALER AND THEY HOOKED UP BUDS AND RESET THE STEERING SENSOR AND CHECKED A FEW OTHER THINGS (ALL FOR FREE). I'VE RIDDEN ANOTHER 100 MILES AND NO ISSUES. BEFORE I WENT TO DEALER I CHECKED BATTERY CONNECTIONS TO ENSURE THEY WERE TIGHT. ALL IS GOOD.
    Last edited by StanProff; 04-20-2014 at 07:49 AM.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    Did you get a resolution to these codes yet?
    I have been trying to look up the same 3 codes when I ran across your post. I got a limp mode and the screen flashing a DPS warning alternating with the little engine warning . I checked the codes while driving, same as yours. the screen was flashing back and forth from the pic of the handlebars to the engine warning pic. I was about 10 miles from home after a great all day ride in the West VA. mountains, Virginia and tennessee. 430 miles total. Mine is a 2010 RTS with a little over 20,000 miles on it. Today did consist of a lot of mountains and curves. the last 150 miles home was at interstate speeds above 70 mph. It also looks like the VSS light is lit up, the one that looks like a spyder swerving. It is the first time I have driven with limp mode engaged, it limits the rpms to about 3800 to 4000. that means you might do 50 mph in 5th gear, thats all it would do.

UPDATE: CODES RESET WHEN RESTARTING THE SPYDER. WENT BY THE MY DEALER AND THEY HOOKED UP BUDS AND RESET THE STEERING SENSOR AND CHECKED A FEW OTHER THINGS (ALL FOR FREE). I'VE RIDDEN ANOTHER 100 MILES AND NO ISSUES. BEFORE I WENT TO DEALER I CHECKED BATTERY CONNECTIONS TO ENSURE THEY WERE TIGHT. ALL IS GOOD.
    Sorry didnt see your post. I did the same thing. Went by the dealer and none of the codea where active but they could see them. Had them clear the codes and havent had an issue since. Have only ridden for 100 miles since so we will see if it pops back up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry didnt see your post. I did the same thing. Went by the dealer and none of the codea where active but they could see them. Had them clear the codes and havent had an issue since. Have only ridden for 100 miles since so we will see if it pops back up.
    Had the exact same codes 12,000 miles ago. Dealer cleared from memory, haven't returned since.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

I had the same exact codes and symptoms today and it eventually went into limp home mode after several miles on the highway and seemed to limit it to about 4200rpms?
    No codes present on restart! Did any of you end up having to replace the DPS or SAS?? 2012 RT 18,000 miles!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!