Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I can tell you that having over 1000 miles on my 2014 RTS it will out perform any of my previous spyders. 2008 GS, 2011 RSS, 2013 STS. It has some amazing power....both off the line and top end.
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder-dude View Post
    I can tell you that having over 1000 miles on my 2014 RTS it will out perform any of my previous spyders. 2008 GS, 2011 RSS, 2013 STS. It has some amazing power....both off the line and top end.
    The website that has the times that I posted can be found here:

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Motorcy...mph-Times.html

It has not been updated with a 2014 time just yet. If it is going to outperform the GS/RS, then it needs to close a 2.3 second gap between the GS/RS and prior year RT. My bet is that the 2014 RT is not geared that way as it is a touring machine - not a sport bike. I think that next year when the 1330 makes its way down to the RS line, then you'll see some real performance numbers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think they have a LONG way to go before we start seeing any real performance numbers on any of the models. 1000cc motor with 100hp and even a 1330 motor with 115hp is almost laughable.

Don't get me wrong, I really dig the ride but there is nothing "performance" that's going to happen with the current OEM motor selection.

The low hp , low rev, modest torque is great for the RT muled up for touring and even pulling a trailer, but "performance" motor it is not....

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's interesting to hear because when we had one for a few days "loaner" all the RS guys said the total opposite and couldn't wait to get off of it. Said it was to heavy to toss around, corner hard and get out of the corners. Said it was boring and might as well be in a convertible car. The RT guys liked it though....different strokes I guess.....which is fine with me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I think they have a LONG way to go before we start seeing any real performance numbers on any of the models. 1000cc motor with 100hp and even a 1330 motor with 115hp is almost laughable.

Don't get me wrong, I really dig the ride but there is nothing "performance" that's going to happen with the current OEM motor selection.

The low hp , low rev, modest torque is great for the RT muled up for touring and even pulling a trailer, but "performance" motor it is not....

Agreed. I meant performance related to the 0-60 time for the 2009 GS which is 4.5 seconds. My wife and I are coming off a VFR800 which was setup for touring and that bike could run 0-60 in 3 seconds. I can't compare the Spyder to the bike because it is an apples and oranges comparison.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    Agreed. I meant performance related to the 0-60 time for the 2009 GS which is 4.5 seconds. My wife and I are coming off a VFR800 which was setup for touring and that bike could run 0-60 in 3 seconds. I can't compare the Spyder to the bike because it is an apples and oranges comparison.
    I love the VFR! There are time I almost wish I had gotten one vs the Spyder. Its pretty much the perfect blend of sport and touring.

It will be interesting to see how the performance of the new 1330 motor compares. Like you said, its got a 2.3 sec gap to make up for, but also has @30 mph top speed gap too.

I hope I am wrong and the 1330RT spanks the RS's but that's a LOT of ground to make up with only mediocre number improvements.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I love the VFR! There are time I almost wish I had gotten one vs the Spyder. Its pretty much the perfect blend of sport and touring.
    We have a friend who bought a Spyder RT two years ago. They offered to loan it to us because my wife wanted to try it out from a passenger perspective. After riding the RT and VFR back-to-back on numerous occasions over a 3 month period, she would NOT get back on the VFR. I tried to talk her into a Gold Wing for better comfort, but she could not get past the instability that is there with the 2 wheeler. If she had never ridden on the RT, then she would not have known the difference. I folded and bought the Spyder last year because what good is touring with your wife if she doesn't want to be on the bike?

For the first 1500 miles, I hated it, she loved it. After that, I started to learn how to ride it (more like a snowmobile) and I can now see the advantages. Mainly in stability, visibility and safety. I can honestly say that if she wanted to give up touring, then I would probably stick with the Spyder platform and move to an RS. However, I don't see her losing interest.

Spyder Garage

Default Can you explain?

So spyder-dude you would know first hand the differences between the 08 GS and the 13 STS that I am looking at as far as motor performance ,any thing stick out in your opinion? Notice better torque with the STS ? Better top end on the GS ? Mileage on a tank of gas?

Spyder Garage

Default What are the 1/4 mile times

that those that are at the event on the drag strip have been posting?
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Stick with the girl that you brought to the dance.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.