Spyder Garage

Default 1330 oil pressure sensor

does anyone know if the 1330 has an oil pressure sensor for the motor
    the only sensor I can find is for the oil injection for the transmission
    Any help will be appreciated

I am replacing the analog fuel and temp gauge with oil pressure and volt gauge

Thanks for any info you have
    Don

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post

Hi Don,
    I disconnected both analog fuel level & water temp gauge, (water temp gauge failed at 1800 miles on my 2014 RT-S SE6).
    I put a voltmeter on left & will eventually put an outside air temp on right (smiley face fill in for now).
    An oil pressure gauge is really not needed in today's motors.
    (But the oil pressure switch on new 1330 motor is at base of oil filter housing right side).
    (I rode motorcycles years ago in Bridgeport, Ca area mountains while living in Santa Clarita, Ca).
    Enjoy your 2014 RT!! Awesome motor!!
    Jim
    Your right about the rides near Bridgeport Ca.
    Tioga pass to Yosemite
    Sonora pass to the central valley
    Monitor pass to Lake Tahoe
    and many more
    but no other riders up here
    I guess I am old school but I like to keep my eye on the oil pressure
    if it starts to drop I can fix the problem before it becomes major

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garb55 View Post
    Your right about the rides near Bridgeport Ca.
    Tioga pass to Yosemite
    Sonora pass to the central valley
    Monitor pass to Lake Tahoe
    and many more
    but no other riders up here
    I guess I am old school but I like to keep my eye on the oil pressure
    if it starts to drop I can fix the problem before it becomes major
    Take it from an old racer...once that OP gauge starts to waiver, the motor is history. You can't react fast enough to save it...the damage has already happened. Usually the damage is what caused the gauge to waiver in the first place. In addition, the oil pressure is quite vairiable in small engines like this that see a lot of temperature variation with a small cooling system volume and that see a lot of rpm variation. Your readings would likely vary significantly anyway. If that isn't enough, there are difficulties in attaching an SAE gauge to a metric motor, and the additional sender can pose problems in itself. Failures of these extensions are common. You would be better off with an altimeter. JMHO
    Last edited by NancysToy; 03-04-2014 at 07:04 AM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm pretty sure that you'd see the "Orange Screen of Death", if the pressure dropped below what the computers like to see anyway...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Take it from an old racer...once that OP gauge starts to waiver, the motor is history. You can't react fast enough to save it...the damage has already happened. Usually the damage is what caused the gauge to waiver in the first place. In addition, the oil pressure is quite vairiable in small engines like this that see a lot of temperature variation with a small cooling system volume and that see a lot of rpm variation. Your readings would likely vary significantly anyway. If that isn't enough, there are difficulties in attaching an SAE gauge to a metric motor, and the additional sender can pose problems in itself. Failures of these extensions are common. You would be better off with an altimeter. JMHO

I didn't say it but I was thinking it.

Spyder Garage

Default Installed

I installed my digital oil pressure gauge today and took the bike for a ride.
    A few things about Spyder oil pressure:
    #1 If you disconnect the original sensor the oil light does not come o at all so if you have a broken wire it does not tell you to check your oil I do not know if it will go into limp mode because I did not try that.
    #2 when you start the bike cold the oil pressure is at 40 psi at an idle then when it is at running temp it is at 18 psi.
    #3 at 3000 rpm at running temp it is at 45 psi and does not go up much more as you go faster.
    #4 if the original oil light does not come on at 18 psi that means you could be running 19 psi at high rpm and not know it
    With this gauge I can keep an eye on my oil pressure and hopefully find a problem before it becomes major
    I found all the correct fittings and ran a braided stainless steel brake line to the frame so the weight is not on the fittings
    there are no leaks and I do not expect any
    The original senor and the new sensor are installed in a "T" mounted to the frame.
    When it arrives I will install matching volt meter to keep an eye on the charging system
    Don

Spyder Garage

Seems the 14s run at lower oil pressure. My 13 acts the same as what you have outlined except the oil pressure regulator is set for about 60 psi. A few bits of info I get from the gauge. I can tell when the bike is warmed up enough to lean on it a bit. When the oil comes up to temp, the pressure drops off at idle. I can also tell when its getting toward the low mark as the oil pressure is slower to come up when first starting and dips when shifting R N 1st at idle. As I get more miles on the BRP non-synthetic oil the dealer installed, I can tell its viscosity is breaking down too.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame