Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Weaving and dancing 2013 RTS SM 5

I bought a 2013 RTS SM 5 (yellow) from Winston Salem Can Am in January(the coldest day of the year- 18 degrees in Myrtle Beach, SC when I left). When I got home to MB it was 54 degrees so I had to ride. I thought I had made a mistake. My new toy weaved, danced, and squirreled all over the road. I thought I was going to fall off. Thought that after I rode more and read up on the Spyder here it would get better. I loosened up my grip. I was used to my 2001 HD Electra Glide that felt rock solid- like it was on rails. I saw that many of you strongly suggested the laser alignment. I called WS Can Am last week and set up my 600 mile service and scheduled a laser alignment. Kevin said low air pressure also would make it ride like this. It has not gotten better. I rode over 100 miles yesterday weaving all over the road. Thought again I had made a mistake. I now have over 700 miles. The new toy follows every road grove I ride thru. Is it going to get better after I have the alignment? I got a great price and the people at WS Can Am were super. Sure hope so. This is my retirement toy after a crash 4 years ago when a 17 year old text messaging hit my son head on and I hit the ditch and destroyed my ankle. My son is alive and doing better but has permanent nerve damage in both arms. I still walk with a limp and will forever I guess. Was considering a new Harley until I saw a new yellow Spyder at my local dealer last summer. Please reassure me it is going to get better or I am going to start looking for another HD. I have not sold all of my Harley gear yet.
    Jim
    Last edited by bassman; 03-03-2014 at 10:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like it is toed-in too little. Alingnment would certainly help with that. I would not recommend anything but the ROLO/Outlaw patented laser alignment system unless you are desparate.

It could also be over-control...very common with riders coming off 2-wheelers. It can take as many as 500-1,000 miles to get the feel for it. The steering is very sensitive, and responds to every little input. It is natural to resist the bar movement a bit on a bike, or respond to the wind, but on a Spyder this just makes you weave. If you are used to consciously couter-steering, that tendency makes you go the wrong direction on a Spyder, then correct, then oversteer, then repeat. Most of us have been through this learning curve.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Weaving

Thanks. The Rolo website says WS Can Am is one of their dealers. I have tried to not counter steer.

Spyder Garage

Welcome and Congratulations on your new ryde. Nancy's Toy pretty much said it all. Get the alignment done and study the riding procedures in the manual. I am guessing that your problems will go away quickly. Please post and let us know how it all goes.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I bought a 2013 RTS SM 5 (yellow) from Winston Salem Can Am in January(the coldest day of the year- 18 degrees in Myrtle Beach, SC when I left). When I got home to MB it was 54 degrees so I had to ride... Please reassure me it is going to get better or I am going to start looking for another HD. I have not sold all of my Harley gear yet.
    Jim
    I rode my previous BMW K1200RS for over 10 years. When I first test rode a Spyder I thought they were dangerous, and that I'd never get used to it. Hold the Spyder's bars in a very light grip; it's hard to describe past that. The ride will get better once you become more relaxed. I shift with just two fingers on the clutch lever, things like that. I have the very same Yellow RTS SM5; and the ride improved a bit more when I went with BajaRons Sway Bar - the Spyder now corners with no roll to the outside of the turn. However, if things don't improve go with a Beemer or a Duck

Ed
    Last edited by BMWpilot; 03-04-2014 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Spyder Garage

I thought I had made a mistake. My new toy weaved, danced, and squirreled all over the road. I thought I was going to fall off. Thought that after I rode more and read up on the Spyder here it would get better.
    Let me throw this idea out. When the '13's first came out, I read several post like this, and the problem was pin-pointed to the tightness of the ball joints. Could this one have slipped thru the crack, or at least have the same problem???
    Might not hurt to have the dealer run the vin # thru to BRP, or at least physically check the ball joints Let us know what they find.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post
    Let me throw this idea out. When the '13's first came out, I read several post like this, and the problem was pin-pointed to the tightness of the ball joints. Could this one have slipped thru the crack, or at least have the same problem???
    Might not hurt to have the dealer run the vin # thru to BRP, or at least physically check the ball joints Let us know what they find.
    Good call! There were some shock problems, too. It would pay to check.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My 13 RTS had exactly the same issues and a new set of Elka shocks was the ultimate cure for it. I also swear by the Bajaron sway bar and that helps a lot but with what your describing it's the shocks. The 13 factory shocks have issues and if you complain enough they will replace them. I'm a big guy 6'4" and 285lbs. and my spyder would also bottom out on back roads so that was why I went with the Elka's. I have not done a laser alignment yet.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Default 2103 RTS- SE5: No Weaving or Misbehaving

Hi Jim-

I have a '13 RT-S and she runs great... hot, straight and normal. I haven't installed any new suspension components and she handles like a dream. With the proper alignment/toe in and tire pressure (have tie rods checked too for excessive play, etc.) I'm sure yours will stop the weaving and let you enjoy your truly awesome machine!
    2013 Spyder RT-S SE5

Nickname: ULY (Unusual Little Yellow, pronounced "ooo-lee")

> Custom Dynamics HMT LED Brake Lights, Dual Converter and Magic Strobe
    > Kuryakyn 6183 ISO-Grips
    > Battery Tender Jr.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Weaving

Quote Originally Posted by unclejay View Post
    Have you considered the road surface ? Any trike will follow humps, rain grooves and off-camber road surfaces more than a two wheeler. Find a Interstate or state highway in good shape and try it there.
    I road on a fairly new repaved road on Sunday. I could not see or feel grooves. My new toy still was weaving. I hope the alignment helps. I do not know how the shocks would cause it to weave. Was there a recall or service bulletin on shocks? Also I have tried to loosen up my grip on the handlebars. Thanks for the suggestions. Will keep you posted after the alignment. I plan on riding to Winston Salem next Saturday and then riding home. 200 miles each way. Used to ride my Hog twice a year to see the doctor at Wake Forest University in WS. Was diagnosed with Leukemia(CML) in 2000. Been in remission for about 8 years. Doctors gave me 2-3 years to live. God healed me by allowing a doctor to invent a new drug(Gleevec) that went right to the gene that causes your white blood cells to multiply too much which then starts attacking your body. I am my doctors only patient to ride a motorcycle 8 hours to see him.

Spyder Garage

that my friend is great news!! lets hope they can diagnose the spyders problem so you will both be well together!! i'm sure the laser alignment will cure the spyder!

Spyder Garage

I road on a fairly new repaved road on Sunday. I could not see or feel grooves. My new toy still was weaving. I hope the alignment helps. I do not know how the shocks would cause it to weave. Was there a recall or service bulletin on shocks? Also I have tried to loosen up my grip on the handlebars. Thanks for the suggestions. Will keep you posted after the alignment. I plan on riding to Winston Salem next Saturday and then riding home. 200 miles each way. Used to ride my Hog twice a year to see the doctor at Wake Forest University in WS. Was diagnosed with Leukemia(CML) in 2000. Been in remission for about 8 years. Doctors gave me 2-3 years to live. God healed me by allowing a doctor to invent a new drug(Gleevec) that went right to the gene that causes your white blood cells to multiply too much which then starts attacking your body. I am my doctors only patient to ride a motorcycle 8 hours to see him.
    The tight ball joints that were mentioned earlier can cause the wandering because small corrections in steering aren't realized, resulting in overcorrection. Have them checked by your dealer. The shocks can do cause wandering because they allow wind and changing road contours to overly affect the suspension, changing the steering line much as wind does, and causing the need for constant correction. If you are heavy, the effect is magnified. They, too, should be checked. You may have to complain loudly.

The light grip on the bars is important, but my advice is usually for new riders to just give it it's head and let it go down the road. It shouldn't be expected to keep a perfect line, because it doesn't have the inherent gyroscopic stability a motorcycle does. Overcorrection is hard to judge and hard to overcome sometimes. I'd recommend that you have an experieced Spyder rider take a ride if you can, and see if they concur. One with a 2013 would be ideal. A dealer might do, if you trust him, but often they turn a blind eye, so another owner is better. You might also arrange a demo ride on another Spyder for comparison. Many owners found their ball joint or shock problems that way.

You still could have alignment issues, and they make a Spyder a terror to ride. I've been there, and it is no fun! The best thing would be the ROLO/Outlaw laser alignment, but you can do a rudimentary test yourself by pacing long straigh-edges against each front tire, and measuring in front of the tires then several feet ahead/behind that. The measurements should be very nearly equal. If not, alignment may be necessary. The Spyder toes out as you load the suspension, so alignment is more of an issue for a heavier rider. The quick test is not accurate, so if the results indicate problems, verify by a BRP or Outlaw alignment.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I. Please reassure me it is going to get better or I am going to start looking for another HD. I have not sold all of my Harley gear yet.
    Jim
    Jim, it may be you or it may be the bike. It seems most folks get used to the peculiar handling of the RT pretty quick, but that was not the case with me when I bought my new '11 Rt. It took 3K miles of frequent short rides before I began to really get the hang of it. I'd been on 2 wheelers for the past 50+ years and my brain took a lot of reprogramming. Eventually I added Elkas and Ronbar and that improved things a lot. I think too, that some of us are more sensitive to the 3 wheel movements especially on uneven roads. I've had some mild complaints about my '14 which is touted to be "Mr Wonderful" itself. Again, I've added Ronbar and that helped. It does track like on a rail on smooth hwys but uneven roads are/were another matter. Stick with it and do a lot of short rides.

There are other riders in the MB area if you could get in contact with them or perhaps they will read about it here and contact you. I'd suggest one of them try your bike for comparison before you take it back to Winston.

If no one contacts you, I live 30 miles south of Winston and perhaps could meet you somewhere on your trip up next saturday to ride yours to see how it handles, compared to my previous '11 and current '14.
    Gonna be cold saturday morn; what time do you project getting to Winston? If I can help, PM me and I'll send you my phone nr and we can work out something.

BTW: Winston uses the ROLO system and has done mine. It take a good hour.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Default links

Dont forget the Hiem Link inspection. Thats just how mine behaved when I had the broken link. So do the alignment but first have the dealer do the inspection of all the front end parts.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Weaving

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Jim, it may be you or it may be the bike. It seems most folks get used to the peculiar handling of the RT pretty quick, but that was not the case with me when I bought my new '11 Rt. It took 3K miles of frequent short rides before I began to really get the hang of it. I'd been on 2 wheelers for the past 50+ years and my brain took a lot of reprogramming. Eventually I added Elkas and Ronbar and that improved things a lot. I think too, that some of us are more sensitive to the 3 wheel movements especially on uneven roads. I've had some mild complaints about my '14 which is touted to be "Mr Wonderful" itself. Again, I've added Ronbar and that helped. It does track like on a rail on smooth hwys but uneven roads are/were another matter. Stick with it and do a lot of short rides.

There are other riders in the MB area if you could get in contact with them or perhaps they will read about it here and contact you. I'd suggest one of them try your bike for comparison before you take it back to Winston.

If no one contacts you, I live 30 miles south of Winston and perhaps could meet you somewhere on your trip up next saturday to ride yours to see how it handles, compared to my previous '11 and current '14.
    Gonna be cold saturday morn; what time do you project getting to Winston? If I can help, PM me and I'll send you my phone nr and we can work out something.

BTW: Winston uses the ROLO system and has done mine. It take a good hour.
    I plan on leaving MB about 4:30 AM putting me at the dealer in WS around 9:00. I hope it warms up by next Saturday but I am tough. Will layer up in duck hunting gear if I have too. Really though I have winter riding gear from my Harley days. Just have to layer up. I do not want to put you out but I appreciate your offer of riding my Spyder. The service manager, Kevin, at WS Can Am seems like he is very helpful. Going to have my 600 mile service as well as have my GPS wired. One of my dash lights will not work as well as the frunk switch so they are going to do that too. Hope to leave there by at least by 2:00 PM to head back to MB. I really like the lights on the Spyder. Really lights up the road. Those hand warmers on the grips are nice too. I have ridden around here lately with temps in low 30's. I have some nice winter gloves too.
    I have seen the guy who owns the blue Spyder in MB. Not not talked to him yet. He lives about 3 miles from me. Will be on the road during bike week and am sure we will cross paths then.
    Last edited by bassman; 03-05-2014 at 06:40 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default weaving and dancing

We bought out 2013 RT-s in September and the ball joint issue had slipped by the dealer also . In January I had some warrenty work done and the Longview dealer caught the miss . I did notice a difference in the handling of the ride , it seemed to wander a lot less . As a new Spyer rider and a longtime two wheeler I had to loosen up .
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

ELka Shocks with rebound get the alignment and things will tighten right up like its on rail remember this thing handles more like lemans car than two wheeled bike. But tighter suspension and accurate alignment make huge difference like night and day.

I hope you and and you're son are doing better. Stupid drivers suck............

Spyder Garage

I plan on leaving MB about 4:30 AM putting me at the dealer in WS around 9:00. I hope it warms up by next Saturday but I am tough. Will layer up in duck hunting gear if I have too. Really though I have winter riding gear from my Harley days. Just have to layer up. I do not want to put you out but I appreciate your offer of riding my Spyder. The service manager, Kevin, at WS Can Am seems like he is very helpful. Going to have my 600 mile service as well as have my GPS wired. One of my dash lights will not work as well as the frunk switch so they are going to do that too. Hope to leave there by at least by 2:00 PM to head back to MB. I really like the lights on the Spyder. Really lights up the road. Those hand warmers on the grips are nice too. I have ridden around here lately with temps in low 30's. I have some nice winter gloves too.
    I have seen the guy who owns the blue Spyder in MB. Not not talked to him yet. He lives about 3 miles from me. Will be on the road during bike week and am sure we will cross paths then.
    Brad & Steve are both good techs so try to discuss your riding issues with them or whichever one works on your bike as well as with Kevin. While they open at 9am it takes them all a bit moving vehicles out of the bays and such so you need not be there at or before 9.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Weaving

Had the alignment done on Saturday. The tech said it was right on. He did not have to adjust "toe". My problem I believe is that I am not used to the wind buffeting on the Spyder. Am investigating other mods to help with this. Seems I need a sway bar.

Spyder Garage

Had the alignment done on Saturday. The tech said it was right on. He did not have to adjust "toe". My problem I believe is that I am not used to the wind buffeting on the Spyder. Am investigating other mods to help with this. Seems I need a sway bar.
    You may also need to adjust your riding habits. Many coming off two wheelers don't realize how little handlebar movement it takes with a Spyder to induce swaying. When the wind pushes, you automatically react, and that slight pressure can make you steer a little, then you correct, then repeat. Even for an experienced rider it can be difficult to overcome. A Spyder doesn't have the gyroscopic directional stability that a motorcycle possesses. It will tend to wander a bit. Let it go and you will be surprised how straight it tracks overall.

That being said, the swaybar should help. Also check your tire pressure, and experiment with it a little. The 2010-2012 RTs seem to like +/- 17 up front, while the 2013/2014s seem to want a little more. The factory recommended 15 psi makes the tire bite a little more, and makes the sidewalls flex a little more, and can induce wander. Higher pressures seem to bite too little and make the tread a little round, and can also cause wander. Experiment a bit to see what works best for you. You already checked the alignment, so only the rider, swaybar, shocks, and tire pressure are left to look at. I'd still recommend having an experienced rider try your Spyder, and that you try another (demo) and compare.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get your knees up against the tank...
    Use them, to keep you in place on the bike.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hello Bassman,

I also purchased a 2013 Can Am Spyder RT Limited from Winston-Salem, North Carolina and having the exact same problems you described. Unfortunately, I am located in Andover, Massachusetts, purchased online and the bike was delivered via Haulbikes.com. Not sure how the dealer could include an "all clear" safety checklist with the purchase paperwork but it is what it is. I will be sure to make an appointment with my local dealer, DaSilva Motorsports to have the problems resolved. On a side note, this is NOT normal! I have owned 2 other Spyder model years a 2008 and a 2010 and neither one had these issues! Perhaps it's the dealer, didn't give a crap as I was an out-of-state buyer. Well, no worries, I have my warranty and paperwork and will be sure to have everything documented to send along with my thank you letter to Winston-Salem! In addition, my signals and fog lights did not work either, still can't get an inspection sticker. Note to self, shop local!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Wanderlust

My wife purchased a 2013 RT-S three days ago. Pretty nifty. We're long-time sportbike riders. Her last two bikes were a Ninja 250-R and a Honda CBR600 F4i. We understand that 3-wheelers are gonna be different. Upon my attempt on it, I found it was like a WaveRunner in Florida, sort of bouncy and wanders around a bit due to the road. She is 50 pounds lighter and finds it wanders quite a bit. We have about 100 miles on it right now. The light grip helps but it tends to hop around. Suspension adjustment via remote button doesn't seem to affect anything whatsoever, full soft to full hard. There's no audible air compression sound when doing this.

I find the wander is a bit frantic and twitchy and feels dangerous as all heck. Bumpy roads are a nightmare of madness. I can plow through the same roads at over 160 mph on sportbikes but at 40 mph the Can-Am feels like a lead-sled on oil, sliding frantically left and right constantly. Higher speeds reward more insanity and eye-popping fear. Turns of course require non-countersteering lean-ins. Anything over 30 mph in a turn seems like you're going to get flung into outer space. Long sweeping turns make you pre-validate your legal Will and re-establish your religion like "Tuco" from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966).

I've read the posts. I understand the gyroscopic effect is greatly neutralized on the Can-Am, understandably. It just feels wobbly and wild. Dealership here in Colorado Springs is Pike's Peak Motorsports where we got it. They said they checked everything and it's fine when we purchased it new. I understand there's a break-in period for the user. I suspect this is a common complaint, this wandering-wobble deal to just "get used to"?

I'm going to call on Tuesday and ask about tie-rods, alignment, and ball-joints as per this super-helpful forum. Anything else? I can check the pressure myself. Your recommendation of PSI vs. the manual? We're a bit of "gearheads" and have always done most of our own motorcycle modifications and maintenance (to good effect) and have excelled at track-days. We break-in our toys per-manual (as street-cred-kids aren't as wise as mechanical engineers).

PS. Love my Honda CBR600RR/A.

Spyder Garage

Have your dealer take it for a ride, and I don't mean thru the parking lot...........or if you know another person with a Spyder, have them ride it and get their feelings from the test ride. What your discribing just isn't right. Let us know the outcome......and and on your new purchase.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikecronis View Post
    My wife purchased a 2013 RT-S three days ago. Pretty nifty. We're long-time sportbike riders. Her last two bikes were a Ninja 250-R and a Honda CBR600 F4i. We understand that 3-wheelers are gonna be different. Upon my attempt on it, I found it was like a WaveRunner in Florida, sort of bouncy and wanders around a bit due to the road. She is 50 pounds lighter and finds it wanders quite a bit. We have about 100 miles on it right now. The light grip helps but it tends to hop around. Suspension adjustment via remote button doesn't seem to affect anything whatsoever, full soft to full hard. There's no audible air compression sound when doing this.

I find the wander is a bit frantic and twitchy and feels dangerous as all heck. Bumpy roads are a nightmare of madness. I can plow through the same roads at over 160 mph on sportbikes but at 40 mph the Can-Am feels like a lead-sled on oil, sliding frantically left and right constantly. Higher speeds reward more insanity and eye-popping fear. Turns of course require non-countersteering lean-ins. Anything over 30 mph in a turn seems like you're going to get flung into outer space. Long sweeping turns make you pre-validate your legal Will and re-establish your religion like "Tuco" from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966

I've read the posts. I understand the gyroscopic effect is greatly neutralized on the Can-Am, understandably. It just feels wobbly and wild. Dealership here in Colorado Springs is Pike's Peak Motorsports where we got it. They said they checked everything and it's fine when we purchased it new. I understand there's a break-in period for the user. I suspect this is a common complaint, this wandering-wobble deal to just "get used to"?

I'm going to call on Tuesday and ask about tie-rods, alignment, and ball-joints as per this super-helpful forum. Anything else? I can check the pressure myself. Your recommendation of PSI vs. the manual? We're a bit of "gearheads" and have always done most of our own motorcycle modifications and maintenance (to good effect) and have excelled at track-days. We break-in our toys per-manual (as street-cred-kids aren't as wise as mechanical engineers).

PS. Love my Honda CBR600RR/A.

Please please please do yourself, wife, spyder and anyone else who touches your spyder and have the Rolo Laser Alignment done. It is a must in my opinion.

​Chris