Spyder Garage

Default Ignition Static in Helmet Headset

During the first few rides I noticed ignition static in my helmet headset. My wife did not hear it in hers. It occurred at idle and I did not notice it once underway. And, it was only on the FM radio and not the CB.

So, after pulling off all of the tupperwear, I checked the integrity of the connections on the communications harness and made certain that none of the wires were crimped or wire-tied too severely.

That done, it was time to suppress the static.

For that, good grounding is the place to begin. I ran a ground braid from the AM/FM radio to the CB radio which had previously been grounded to the chassis.

(see my earlier post CB Radio Additional Grounding)

IMG_8290.jpg

Next, I used several of these snap-on ferrite chokes and strategically placed them along the communications harness.

Radio Shack, eBay, and certain electronic suppliers have these and they come in various shapes and flavors. Google snap-on ferrite chokes.

Chokes.jpg

These were placed at: (1) the CB/AM-FM radio junction under the RH grab bar; (2) the passenger headset junction under the LH grab bar, and (3) just prior to the rider's audio cable going under the glove box.

IMG_8294.jpg

Audio Choke.jpg

Shazam ... that took care of the ignition static !
    Last edited by SpongeBob; 03-03-2014 at 05:07 PM.

- Bob

2014 Spyder Ltd. Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Thanks Bob, I used your idea on my bike.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.