Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Painting BRP Backrest and Rack

I know that some of you have painted your BRP backrest and rack.
    My question is: Did you paint "all" the sufaces, inside and out, top to bottom? Or did you cheat a little, and just paint exposed areas?

Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2+1 View Post
    I know that some of you have painted your BRP backrest and rack.
    My question is: Did you paint "all" the sufaces, inside and out, top to bottom? Or did you cheat a little, and just paint exposed areas?

Thanks in advance.
    Took it all apart, sanded every surface and painted it completely. Don't cheat or you'll be sorry when it peals off.

Bryan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by araneae View Post
    Took it all apart, sanded every surface and painted it completely. Don't cheat or you'll be sorry when it peals off.

Bryan
    Did you match the BRP paint codes or use a different brand/color?

I went to a local auto body shop and he wanted $1100 to paint the rack & rest millennium yellow. So, I kept it silver and mounted it up. Doesn't look as bd as I thought it might because it does balance the bike with the silver on the steering column.
    Happy Spyder Owner - 2008 Millennium Yellow PE #2475
    HID lights, fog lights, Hindle exhaust, heated grips, anti-vibe bars, passenger extension pegs, BRP custom seat, seat cowl, sport rack/backrest, BRP saddlebags, CHAD black/smoke windshield, outdoor cover, Garmin Quest GPS, Rear axel billets.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

For those of you that have this set up, do you think that powder coating would work? Or is the fit to tight on all the parts to allow room for the powder coating?

I don't have my spyder yet but I am planning to paint/powder coat backrest prior to it's arrival.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had my sport rack, backrest, handle-bar cover, sprocket/rim all powder coated and no issues. It should all be sand-blasted before hand though.

Rob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool View Post
    Did you match the BRP paint codes or use a different brand/color?

I went to a local auto body shop and he wanted $1100 to paint the rack & rest millennium yellow. So, I kept it silver and mounted it up. Doesn't look as bd as I thought it might because it does balance the bike with the silver on the steering column.
    The yellow may require a special base coat and could add to the cost but $1100 seems pretty high priced. I would use the BRP paint code for Yellow and Silver because it would be difficult to match. Black is pretty easy to match just try it on a test sample first. For small jobs I just use a good enamel epoxy spray can paint rather than the compressor and paint gun. Too much work to clean up. If you take your time and have a clean, dust free place to work you can do a nice job. If it doesn't come out quite right or you want it perfect then wet sand it with #1500 and polish it out by hand. If your going to powder coat I think you need to sandblast all the paint off but I have no experience to draw on there.

Bryan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rpdata View Post
    I had my sport rack, backrest, handle-bar cover, sprocket/rim all powder coated and no issues. It should all be sand-blasted before hand though.

Rob
    what color did you do and do you have any pics?
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Default DONT PAINT IT...POWER COAT ONLY

Hey I went to a Body shop here in TN that does harley and they showed me what happen when you paint over a POWERCOATED surface.........

NOT GOOD i should have take a picture

Go online in your area and find a good power coat shop

They are numerous ones out there and alot of folks who run home buinesses that powercoat and chome metal...........

In mephis we have Rick's he would do the whole unit is a glass black for 300 bucks!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I went flat black on the handle bar cover, back-rest, and sport rack/plate...The very underneath of the sport rack is gloss to match the side panels which sits almost right up against it, and the rear rim/sprocket is gloss, as well... will upload pics as soon as i get it back..the dealer is waiting for seals which they received but in the wrong size!!! 5 more days i was told !

Spyder Garage

Default HEY all done for $$$

Went to a dude over here in NYC i took it totally a part before i wen to see him it all came out to $175 .

If you want his info i will email it to ya!
    HM1 Nathaniel V. Mitchell, USN, CC-NREMT-P

Spyder Garage

Bryan
    what type of sandpaper did u use? and did u use a matte black paint? or gloss black paint?

need to paint my silver rack... thanks

leo76dragon

Spyder Garage

I used 600 wet and painted with gloss black.

Spyder Garage

I used 600 wet and painted with gloss black.

thank you!... got the keep the phantom as black as can be..... I'll give it a try tomorrow... but I just gotta figure out how to take it apart...