Thread: 2014 RT mods

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT mods (Elkas)

Anyone installed Elka shocks on their 2014 yet?
    Last edited by cougar; 03-05-2014 at 10:17 AM.

Spyder Garage

No but thinking about it.

Spyder Garage

Default Installed stage 5 Elka shocks with 325# Eibach springs from 2011 RT-S on 2014 RT

Elka Spyder RT shocks.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by cougar View Post
    Anyone installed Elka shocks on their 2014 yet?
    The stage 5 front Elka shocks, 325# Eibach springs with 1" spring preload from shorter 2011 RT (18 1/8" eye to eye), smooth out the small bumps; is more stable in corners & feels planted on freeway passing trucks here in Tucson, Arizona!! Ride height set at stock 4 1/2" to ground; (2014 stock shocks are 18 3/4" eye to eye).
    Len at Pitbull Powersports in Springfield, Mo set up my Elka's spot on for my 2013 RT-S I bought from him. Len is really good at setting up Elka's; 417-863-1418!!
    (I added stiffer 325# Eibach springs for 2014 Spyder RT-S).
    Rear Elka is stage 1+.
    Jim
    Last edited by spyderyderjim; 03-01-2014 at 12:12 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default ELKA,S

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    Elka Spyder RT shocks.jpg

The stage 5 front Elka shocks, 325# Eibach springs with 1" spring preload from shorter 2011 RT (18 1/8" eye to eye), smooth out the small bumps; is more stable in corners & feels planted on freeway passing trucks here in Tucson, Arizona!! Ride height set at stock 4 1/2" to ground; (2014 stock shocks are 18 3/4" eye to eye).
    Len at Pitbull Powersports in Springfield, Mo set up my Elka's spot on for my 2013 RT-S I bought from him. Len is really good at setting up Elka's; 417-863-1418!!
    (I added stiffer 325# Eibach springs for 2014 Spyder RT-S).
    Rear Elka is stage 1+.
    Jim
    Could you tell a big difference in handling?
    Ron

Spyder Garage

Default Yes big change in stable faster cornering RT with Elkas

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
    Could you tell a big difference in handling?
    Ron
    Hi Ron,
    The Elka shocks make a big difference in smoothing out the small bumps, plus much more stable in high speed corners, and on freeways passing trucks!!
    Well worth the money spent. Give Len a call at Pitbull Powersports, he will give you a good deal; and will also explain/confirm what I report on Elkas.
    The 2014 Front stock shocks have stiffer springs firmer dampening, but are harsh over small bumps, etc. Still pretty good for front stock shocks!
    The rear stock shock does not have much dampening, (very noticeable when lowering air bag pressure).
    Hope this hands on info helps. I have over 30,000 miles on Spyder RT's with my same Elka shocks. (2011 RT-S; 2013 RT-S; 2014 RT-S).
    If you buy a custom Russell Daylong seat in leather; you will really enjoy the comfort of new 2014 RT!!!
    April 2013 when I bought my 2013 RT-S from Len; I rode Hwy 125 from Ozark, Mo into Ark about 12 times, just flying into all the neat corners!!
    Enjoy.
    Jim
    Last edited by spyderyderjim; 03-05-2014 at 11:55 AM.

Spyder Garage

Jim,

Thanks for the information. My analysis of the front stock shocks on the RT is exactly the same as yours. My only resolution to the issue at this point without spending any money is to stay off of roads with small bumps; which ends up keeping me of the very roads I want to drive the RT on. So I am going to end up purchasing a set of Stage 5 shocks; install them; and then do another analysis. If after adding the Stage 5 front shocks I still find a bit of harshness or weaving, then I'll add the rear shock.
    -Texas

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I thought that the 10,11,12 rt's took a shorter shock than the 13,14's did. The 13 RT's and the 14 RT's share the same frame and with the redesigned suspension they took slightly longer shocks??
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you sure about that 18 3/4" length? Interesting because that's longer than even the 13'
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 03-07-2014 at 08:49 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 Spyder RT-S front stock shocks 18 3/4" eye to eye; I just measured them again

Elka Spyder RT shocks.jpgbent lower rear RT stock shock bolt bushing.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Are you sure about that 18 3/4" length? Interesting because that's longer than even the 13'
    The 2014/2013 RT front stock shocks are the same length 18 3/4".
    The 2014 RT front shocks have stiffer springs, firmer dampening, (than 2013 RT) but harsh over small bumps.
    The rear 2014 RT stock shock does not have much dampening, (same problem as 2013 RT & may even be same shock).
    Stage 1+ Elka shocks front & rear are a major improvement on 2013/2014 RT's. They smooth out and absorb the small bumps, more stable in corners.
    I put my 2011 RT front stage 5 Elka shocks (18 1/8" length) on my 2014 Spyder RT-S, with stiffer 325# Eibach front springs, spring preload 1", frame to ground clearance up front of 4 1/2" stock height. Stage 1+ Elka rear shock. Work great.
    Call Len at Pitbull Powersports 417-863-1418 for best price, as he is really good at setting up Spyder RT Elka stage 1+ shocks spot on for your riding style.
    Replace lower rear stock shock bolt with 10m X 140mm grade 8 hardness; lower stock rear shock bolt bends & causes problems getting it out of bushing.
    Enjoy.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

I promised myself after a long ride over state highways this weekend that I'd get Elka shocks. There were some heat created speed bumps where old concrete met new asphalt that almost ripped the handlebar out of my grasp. Pleased to see this discussion and where to go. I plan to have the laser alignment done on the bike really soon. Should I replace the factory shocks with Elkas before the alignment is done? And I never quite got it about changing the rear stock shock with Elka as well at the same time. Is this required or can I do it later after I pay off the second mortage for the firs set?