Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Question about Smoothspyder belt tensioner

On the 13 RT's the belt tension has increased over the previous years, so adding the tensioner would you want to "slack" the belt just slightly? The instructions say that most belts are on the loose side already but you would not want to add tension to an already tight belt.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

My understanding is that the belt should be adjusted to the factory prescribed tension, without the belt tensioner engaged. Then put the tensioner in place against the belt and adjust it as the instructions dictate. The belt "tensioner" merely takes out the slack on the return side.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

A spring loaded tensioner has some give to it, but it will still add a little extra tension to your static tension setting.
    Most 2013's I have checked are coming set around 900 Newtons, which is at the bottom of the 2013 Spec's, which are 1050N+-150 (900-1200N).
    If one were close to the 1200N maximum static setting and using a tensioner, I would have the static tension checked with the tensioner in place to make sure it didn't exceed the 1200N Max, but I doubt very many would need a tensioner at that setting anyway.
    I felt like I needed to include that in the instructions just in case.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Belt Dampener/tensioner

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    A spring loaded tensioner has some give to it, but it will still add a little extra tension to your static tension setting.
    Most 2013's I have checked are coming set around 900 Newtons, which is at the bottom of the 2013 Spec's, which are 1050N+-150 (900-1200N).
    If one were close to the 1200N maximum static setting and using a tensioner, I would have the static tension checked with the tensioner in place to make sure it didn't exceed the 1200N Max, but I doubt very many would need a tensioner at that setting anyway.
    I felt like I needed to include that in the instructions just in case.
    Are you marketing this unit??? I would like to see some good photo's of it by itself, and installed. I also would like to know where and how your mounting it on the 2014 RT. Also what is the cost at my door??

Thx
    Mel Bosch

melbosch@centurylink.net

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MelBosch View Post
    Are you marketing this unit??? I would like to see some good photo's of it by itself, and installed. I also would like to know where and how your mounting it on the 2014 RT. Also what is the cost at my door??

Thx
    Mel Bosch

melbosch@centurylink.net
    I would be interested in the answer to this question. I have a 2017 RT-S. Do you now sell a unit for this model?

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I would be interested in the answer to this question. I have a 2017 RT-S. Do you now sell a unit for this model?
    We have a model that fits on top of the belt where most of the vibration is. Ours have been very popular. They are called Vibration Dampers.

https://www.roadsterrenovations.info/products